ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shooting trap w Cynergy CX
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

When I have difficulty hitting with a new shotgun I ask to have a trap locked down to only throw straight-aways from post 3. I then try different things till I'm smoking the targets. It gives you an idea where you need hold in relation to the target (cover it, shoot just under...).
Once you have that figured out you are on your way. You can do the pattern board thing, but I find it works better if you are shooting at a moving target instead of static...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:53 am 
Limited Edition

Wowzer,

Agree with last post’s suggestion to try and practice on station 3. Some clubs will fix machine for a specific target if requested.

Do you feel like you’re getting beat by the targets on station 3? If so, changes to hold and look points may help.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

A relatively flat shooting gun (snowman beads typical 60/40 pattern) often needs to be raised high enough to hide the clay behind the barrel on straight aways . . in order to get enough lead. This can cause shooters to lift their head off the stock to see the break. Unfortunately, lifting the head off the stock on straight aways often results in a miss over the top. Something to consciously think about next time you shoot.
Edit: Agree with Skeet69 on page 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can find a lot of free video tips on Youtube. If not a paid coach, find a good trap shooter to watch you and make sure you have good foot position on each station, good gun hold points, good eye focus zones, good shooting posture, etc. All of these are not black and white but can make a big difference.

It's funny but just today while driving back from the gun club my wife and I were talking about why she is recently having trouble with straight-aways. She was shooting trap and I had shot 5-stand and skeet. I have certainly missed more than my share of straight-aways, some that cost me 25s. Like advised above, get them to lock a trap house down so you can practice with all straight-aways. Buy some AA tracker shells so that a spotter behind you can help see where you're missing.

Good luck,
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for all the suggestions. Interesting thing in my last 2 outings.

First, I seem to shoot high on some straight aways. If found that the bird will come out low and stay low at the range I frequent. If I don’t shoot below those birds, I miss.

Two weeks ago, I Shot a 16, 16, and 21. The first two scores were due to the morning winds...played havoc on the birds. After 10am or so, my third round, the wind stopped and I shot a 21.

Today, in very cold and windy weather, I shot a 16 and 17. I felt ok, as the only other shooter was scoring 13’s. Windy days really are challenging!

Trap is a fun sport.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am buying 3.5 acres. Will that be large enough for me to install a trap and skeet field? My property should be far away from any other standing structures. Only issue I have is the lead...perhaps I can reload with steel shot?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Wowzer wrote:
I am buying 3.5 acres. Will that be large enough for me to install a trap and skeet field? My property should be far away from any other standing structures. Only issue I have is the lead...perhaps I can reload with steel shot?

I believe you would need at least 10 times that amount of acreage to safely handle the rather sizeable shotfall area of a combo trap/skeet field.

both available direct from the publisher: http://www.gunshowbooks.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

TrapshooterJeff wrote:
Wowzer wrote:

I believe you would need at least 10 times that amount of acreage to safely handle the rather sizeable shotfall area of a combo trap/skeet field.

Sigh. My dreams are shattered.

On the other hand, I shot 17, 20, and 15 today (in that order). The last round was bizarre. On station 4, I only shot 1/5. Not really sure what happened...no real wind, no real problems, just missed everything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Scores 17, 22, 19, 18. I guess I’m improving. One tricky issue is the change in clothing from winter to spring/summer/fall. When it gets warm, I wear less layers...it seems like POA if off.

Also, since I started to hit the gym the year, my gun poi seems to feel off. Has anyone had similar experience?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:29 am 
Limited Edition

The thickness of clothes affects how the gun fits. Maybe after working out more you gained some muscle and it changed how you swing the gun, kind of like how switching from a light to heavy gun affects your swing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

gunner76 wrote:
The thickness of clothes affects how the gun fits. Maybe after working out more you gained some muscle and it changed how you swing the gun, kind of like how switching from a light to heavy gun affects your swing.

I think you are right. Yesterday, I shot 17, 19, and ,18. On several birds, it felt like rib went past the bird. Of course, it may just be poor technique because when I strictly remind myself to have great cheek weld, it break them.

I absolutely love/hate the way that wind affects the birds. It always seems to gust and swirl at my local range...sometimes the birds are pushed down, and sometimes, they swell way up high.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

It was a great weather day. Relatively calm winds and warm (for the first time). I shot a 22, 20, and 22. I was afraid of shooting a 4th game and ruining my score. ;-)

I must be getting better at this....hopefully next time out will be as good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Wowzer wrote:
gunner76 wrote:

I think you are right. Yesterday, I shot 17, 19, and ,18. On several birds, it felt like rib went past the bird. Of course, it may just be poor technique because when I strictly remind myself to have great cheek weld, it break them.

I absolutely love/hate the way that wind affects the birds. It always seems to gust and swirl at my local range...sometimes the birds are pushed down, and sometimes, they swell way up high.

I had that problem with the Beretta A400 I tried. I gave up on the gun after a year because I could not get myself trained to get a consistent cheek weld when hunting with the gun. On the clays course it was no problem because it was a controlled environment but when a rooster busted out of cover and I needed to snap shoot things went south. I was bummed because I really liked everything else about that gun.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shot 21, 17, then 22. Last round, I missed 2 quartering birds that were being pushed down by the wind on station 4, otherwise, I’d have gotten a 24. The 17 was just plain bad shooting...No excuses, the Indian missed on that round.

Definitely feeling better with the Cynergy CX on trap.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Shot a 22 and started to freeze at the end of that round, and missed the last 2 birds. Next round shot 17 but couldn’t feel my fingers as it was too cold.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shot my first 25 a few days back. Followed with a 23. Then the guys made me shoot at the 27 foot line...I got a 20 on the first time beyond 16 ft. I found that the lead was longer and therefore more like to miss from last second wind gusts, but it was far easier to shoot quartering shots from 1 and 5.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:08 am 
Diamond Grade

toptechX6 wrote:
I would recommend taking your time and do a lot more trap shooting before looking at the gun at all.

^^^ This would be my recommendation . Or ...... you can bolt on every aftermarket item you can buy ( that you’re not sure you need ) such as a new rib , adjustable comb , hivis beads . Etc. You can’t always solve a problem by throwing money at it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

captjsjr wrote:
toptechX6 wrote:
I would recommend taking your time and do a lot more trap shooting before looking at the gun at all.

^^^ This would be my recommendation . Or ...... you can bolt on every aftermarket item you can buy ( that you’re not sure you need ) such as a new rib , adjustable comb , hivis beads . Etc. You can’t always solve a problem by throwing money at it.

As it currently sits, I have a lot of space between my mid and front beads, I think primarily for the rising birds in trap. When I shoot skeet, I’m usually right on snowman (figure 8) for the beads.