ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A5 vs. Maxus?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:50 am 
Field Grade

If you’ve had experience with both the A5 & Maxus, which has been your favorite and what did you like about it over the other?
Or if you’ve had good or bad experiences with either I’d like to hear that also.

Post subject: Re: A5 vs. Maxus?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:51 pm 
Utility Grade

I’ve got a Maxus Stalker, bought in Oct 2010. By far my favorite semi auto - and I’ve owned them all! Favorite feature is the speed load and that I was able to fit it to my specs with the spacers for LOP and the shins for slight cast off. I have never had one issue with this gun.

I shot the new A5 a year ago (friend bought one) and I didn't like it as well. Felt recoil was more, and I just don’t like the design on the back of the receiver and how my eye sits on it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:21 pm 
Utility Grade

The speed load feature is a cool idea, but in practice on my Maxus it was a little temperamental. I tried practicing with snap caps, but it seemed like whenever I was in the field the speed load inevitably didn’t go well. Could have just been my Maxus- I had all sorts of problems with it - maybe others are better.

If you’re interested in an inertia gun in that price range, I’d definitely give benelli a swing. The difference in reliability between my Maxus and my SBE2 has been astounding. So much so that I’ve got two close friends who have decided to buy SBE2 after shooting my gun and seeing the difference compared to the browning.

I’m not a browning hater, love my 725, just being honest here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have the Maxus Sporting carbon fibre, love it. The speed loading feature is great, soft shooting, shoots any load I put in it, more of a pain cleaning than the A5, but a great gun.

I also have the new A5 Sweet Sixteen, a nice gun, speed loading feature, light weight, great handling, will not shoot light loads, but shoots any factory load, and reloads down to 7/8 ounce. A dream cleaning, recoil is heavier than the 12 ga Maxus.

Both great guns in their own right, it all depends on what you want, the A5 will go a lot longer without cleaning, recoils more, but not horrible, but you are aware of it. Recoil vs gas pick your poison.

cdb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:31 am 
Presentation Grade

Both are great guns & have had no issues with either gun. One will probably fit you & feel better. Thats the one I would go with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have owned the Maxus with a 30" barrel. With the long receiver, the balance was front heavy. I was planning to use it for skeet and a little hunting. I didn't shoot it well, so I sold it. I hope to purchase an Ultimate Maxus with a 28" tube. I do have a 12 gauge A5, primarily for pheasant hunting. It goes bang no matter what the load, swings like a magic wand, and is super easy to clean. Tall grass and weeds are spit out with nary a hitch. Both guns are "the best there is."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Get which one fits you best and what you will do with it. Both are good guns.