ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unusual Auto-5 Finish and Serial Number
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:39 pm 
Field Grade

I recently purchased a gorgeous Auto-5 Light Twenty out of a collection and it has what I would consider to be a very unusual finish on the receiver and barrel. The finish is definately appears to be factory but it has a really reddish, almost chocolate tint. Note photo comparing it to a Auto-5 Light Twelve from the same era (1973). It also has an unusual serial number designation where the letter "Z" follows the mfr year. In Auto 5's from this era the first two numbers designate the mfr year and the letter designates the type - which is either standard (letter M) or light weight (letter G). Long story short, I have a like new, beautifully finished A5 with a very reddish tint and a serial number model designation "Z" that can't be found on the Browning mfr date website. I can always call Browning but where's the fun in that :). Any thoughts?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Unusual Auto-5 Finish and Serial Number
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:14 pm 
Crown Grade

That is beautiful and I would call that a plumb color. I have never seen it on a factory finish except a few Brit doubles that had plumb color barrels.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:32 pm 
Limited Edition

A call to Arts would probably solve the question .https://artsgunshop.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:36 pm 
Crown Grade

The Browning website sucks. All data is for the 12 gauge. This site is much better:

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/s ... acture.pdf

The Z prefix means it’s a Light Twenty.

The S/V book mentions that for FN had an occasional problem with the bluing process, and some guns came out with a purple tint.

S/V is available here:

https://www.fnbrowning.com/browning-auto-5-shotguns

Worth every penny.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:10 pm 
Field Grade

Well the color description offered of plumb and purple would certainly describe this gun. The color is actually more pronounced than it appears in the pictures and that info on FN bluing really interesting. I'd like to think that having a purple Auto 5 is a blessing but I'm not so sure. Got to think on that one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Alleycat wrote:
Well the color description offered of plumb and purple would certainly describe this gun. The color is actually more pronounced than it appears in the pictures and that info on FN bluing really interesting. I'd like to think that having a purple Auto 5 is a blessing but I'm not so sure. Got to think on that one.

Enjoy it and IMO you should not mess with changing it. It is in far too nice of shape for that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:42 am 
Field Grade

I would never change it. The value of it alone as a converstion piece is well worth it. I was secretly hoping that it was a similar situation the the extremely valuble upside down airlplane stamp mistakenly done by the postal service many years ago but I'm not that lucky. Thanks for the replies

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

The barrel on my 1966 light twenty has that tint and I bought it new. In the book on A5's they mention this is sometimes seen on factory guns. Light twenties are the best A5's IMO, enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:16 pm 
Field Grade

I wonder if back in the day the dealers were able to sell these guns new with this crazy finish or did they start to turn this purple tint over time? I can't imaging buying a new Browning then have it start to discolor on me. I'm a lover of deep blueing but believe it or not the gun actually looks pretty cool.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Alley Cat, I'm pretty sure the blueing turned over time, at least the 20 I had did. I didn't mind that, but used the gun so much I had Browning reblue the barrel and receiver-at that time I had never heard of Art's or Midwest.

If I can vent for a bit: There are not, and never were, any Belgian made "Light 20's"-that designation was only used on the Japanese made guns. If you doubt me, compare the receiver stamping on several of each manufacture. The Belgian 20 was only made in one version; unlike the 12 and 16 gauges, and therefore was only stamped "Twenty".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:15 pm 
Crown Grade

tarheel wrote:
If I can vent for a bit: There are not, and never were, any Belgian made "Light 20's"-that designation was only used on the Japanese made guns. If you doubt me, compare the receiver stamping on several of each manufacture. The Belgian 20 was only made in one version; unlike the 12 and 16 gauges, and therefore was only stamped "Twenty".

Actually, the shotgun was named Light Twenty from its beginning in 1958. The same lightening techniques as used on the Sweet Sixteen and Light Twelve were used on the new model. Unlike the other two, no standard weight versions were produced. Confusion stems from the decision to only engrave half the name on the receivers. In 1973, the confusion was compounded by deciding to engrave the full name. But, regardless of the engraving, all 20’s are Light Twenty’s.

Japanese production didn’t start until 1976, three years after the engraving change. Belgian production continued for another two years, so for a while your Light Twenty could be from either place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:31 pm 
Crown Grade

I have seen the purplish tint on other guns. A Smith 1917 where the cylinder was that color but the frame was not (not refinished, either part and matching numbers all around) a 50's vintage Winchester 94 and a Model 12. For some reason I think it might have something to do with the quantity of nickle in the steel (although I don't know why I came to this conclusion)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Plum color has showed up in Ruger guns as well. My model 77 MK ll 7x57 has a dark plum colored receiver. It doesn't particularly bother me although I'd prefer a uniform blue finish on the entire gun. Some post-64 Winchester Y-series model 12s also had plum receivers. I recall reading that the plum color has to do with the composition of the steel, possibly the nickel content like Slim suggested, as opposed to a bluing issue.