ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Browning shotguns in 2021?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:25 pm 
Limited Edition

cdb1097 wrote:
Looks like the new Maxus gets a forend cap rather than the current lever.

Allows mag extension ?

cdb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Wow Browning is on track to make every shotgun they offer as ugly as possible! The checkering patterns on the wood A5's and new BPS, and the new Citori Lightnings are bad enough but now their synthetic models are becoming tacky as heck. I have a new A5 Stalker and even then I was on the fence lookswise. If this is what Browning has to offer for the future then I've bought my last new Browning.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:00 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

buckmark525 wrote:
Wow Browning is on track to make every shotgun they offer as ugly as possible!

Yes, and they aren't alone. Crate wood, cheap pad, comic-book receiver. :roll:

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:15 pm 
Limited Edition

RandyWakeman wrote:
buckmark525 wrote:
Wow Browning is on track to make every shotgun they offer as ugly as possible!

Is it the A5 tradition that has them putting the hump on the receiver. Enough already. Round it off please.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:19 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

DKW1 wrote:

Is it the A5 tradition that has them putting the hump on the receiver. Enough already. Round it off please.

You still wouldn't buy one, would you? Over the years, they (Browning Gold / Silver) have been offered in countless paint jobs and styles. Apparently, the ugly wins.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:10 am 
Presentation Grade

I see the Maxis no longer has the lengthened forcing cone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:39 pm 
Limited Edition

RandyWakeman wrote:
DKW1 wrote:

You still wouldn't buy one, would you? Over the years, they (Browning Gold / Silver) have been offered in countless paint jobs and styles. Apparently, the ugly wins.

You’re correct, I still would’nt.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:58 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Browning is becoming a lifestyle brand, apparently interested in selling flashlights, camping gear, clothing, and other "show us your Buckmark" trinkets than firearms. They still have a couple of really good models: the X-Bolt rifle and the 725.

Other than that, it looks like they have just given up. While the mainstream consumer is buying handguns, Browning threw in the towel. The old Gold / Silver models are long in the tooth, hanging on since 1994. They get cheaper-built and uglier every year, as does the BPS. Every year, Browning discontinues far more models than they introduce. The few things they had that were unique, like the BPS 16 gauge, are scratched from the line-up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:20 pm 
Crown Grade

They were marketing golf clubs to fishing reels long ago. Hardly news.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:04 am 
Limited Edition

Twobarrels wrote:
Sure glade I have 2 of the original maxus . the new version looks to much like the winchester sx4 .

I have an original Maxus and from day 1 I disliked the lack of a magazine cap. I'm glad they did away with that. Not crazy about the raised rib or oversized bolt handle, but that fad seems to be seeping into waterfowl guns these days (e.g. Beretta Xtreme Plus)

Last edited by MNGunner on Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:09 am 
Limited Edition

RandyWakeman wrote:
Browning is becoming a lifestyle brand, apparently interested in selling flashlights, camping gear, clothing, and other "show us your Buckmark" trinkets than firearms. They still have a couple of really good models: the X-Bolt rifle and the 725.

Other than that, it looks like they have just given up. While the mainstream consumer is buying handguns, Browning threw in the towel. The old Gold / Silver models are long in the tooth, hanging on since 1994. They get cheaper-built and uglier every year, as does the BPS. Every year, Browning discontinues far more models than they introduce. The few things they had that were unique, like the BPS 16 gauge, are scratched from the line-up.

I agree. I was hoping to see the BPS 16ga back in the line-up (Upland and hunter)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:30 pm 
Utility Grade

For those looking for new "shot show special" type Brownings, be sure to check out Guns Unlimited Omaha. I noticed they have several new "exclusive" shotguns listed on their home page... adjustable ribs, sub gauge 3 & 4 barrel sets, etc.

Are there any other "Exclusive" dealers out there I should know about? Joel Etchen used to offer their "JEG Special" Citori (which was similar to the CX & Special Sporting Clays, but with a parallel comb), but they stopped carrying it a few years ago.

I know Davidson's has that Citori with the 3.5" chamber.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:14 pm 
Limited Edition

It seems to me that their UK offerings are much better looking, I’m not sure if they are better built but it looks like Browning values the UK market a lot more than the US market.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:44 pm 
Utility Grade

2021 Shot Show Specials are now listed on the Browning website, FYI.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:41 am 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:

While they aren't alone in bowing to what are apparently market forces driving shotguns further and further down the highway of tackiness, they still produce some of the better looking new production shotgun models (albeit, they are often limited edition or shot show models). It's kind of either feast or famine with Browning.