ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Picked up a Browning Gold 12ga
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Found a used one at the local gun shop I couldn't pass up - looks to be barely used - and price was right. I'm excited to start using it for my 12ga skeet events and duck hunting.

A couple of interesting things:
Serial Number makes this a 1995 model
No Mag Cutoff, but speed load works well.
From the end of the receiver to the end of the barrel measures 29"... seems odd, and barrel reads mod. gold 12ga BB 2 3/4-3" Invector Plus

So... whats the BB for? And why 29"? Is it just a 28" barrel that measures long?

Anything to keep an eye on... any parts to clean in particular? Does it run best dry or wet?

Anyway - went out back and ran a box of target loads through it, and it functioned perfectly. Ducks on the agenda for it tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: Picked up a Browning Gold 12ga
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just measured my wife's 3 12ga Gold Hunters. The barrel lengths are measured from the muzzle to the bolt face (essentially close-enough to the shell rim at the breech-end of the barrel, for these purposes). One is 24" and the other 2 are 26" (one 3" and one 3-1/2").

So, I don't have an explanation for 29" to the face of the receiver.

Hers are all newer than '98. All are Invector Plus but do not have 'BB' stamped on the barrel. ‘Back-bored’ is the only thing that comes to mind but I can’t quite recall the marketing features on the early Golds. I was using an Auto-V during that time.

Maybe someone else will be able to answer your questions.

The only thing that you really need to keep clean on that gun is the inside of the barrel lug where the gas ports are. If that area gets corroded from crud build-up, then the parts won't seal (for proper cycling) and it will also become difficult to disassemble. A little Hoppe's gun grease on the o-ring inside the barrel lug, as well as the outside of the barrel extension that goes up into the receiver makes disassembly and re-assembly SO much easier. Otherwise you will have to rotate the barrel back and forth as you pull it out of the receiver, and if it gets lodged too far one way or the other, then it can be a real fight on some of the Golds.

I suggest you check and clean the mag tube and any other parts that get black build-up at least after every 2 boxes of shells. If you shoot Federal Black Bull$#!+, then I would suggest cleaning after every hunt. The crud build-up and corrosion woes are common with the B-2000, Gold, and SuperX-3's (from my experience).

'Hope this helps - congratulations on your new gun - Happy Hunting!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:59 am 
Limited Edition

A couple of things.
I wonder why the barrel is marked mod when it has investor plus chokes tubes.

Maybe 29” to the end of an extended choke? These are the markings on mine.

Attachment:
694F4D2A-3CB7-4229-B5A0-02FEC194A61B.jpeg

Pic posted upside down. Dunno why.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have always run both of my Sporting Clays Golds wet with CLP. I coated the inside of the forearms with Tru-Oil to protect the wood. Makes cleanup of the piston and magazine tube easy enough to clean up with a paper towel. I also polished the mag tube with Flitz polish, (though this is overkill). I did it to speed cleaning when I used to shoot SC seriously. Made hotel room cleanup easy. Since the gun is 25 years old, but new to you, order some new springs and a bolt buffer for it. Cheap, and easy to change.
These guns run on gas, springs, and oil and grease where needed, keep them all fresh.

Mike B

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:08 pm 
Field Grade

A review of a gold here that talks of 29.25 in barrels.
Maybe there is a specific browning convention for measuring the length of their barrels, but goodness knows it should simple enough to do.

https://www.shootingforfun.org.uk/brown ... -semi-auto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

skeetstar wrote:
Maybe there is a specific browning convention for measuring the length of their barrels, but goodness knows it should simple enough to do.

Barrels are measured to the face of the bolt. (inside receiver)
Mike B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:30 pm 
Limited Edition

Skeet69 wrote:
skeetstar wrote:

Mike B

ok so measuring from the bolt face gives me 30" barrels (not measuring extended choke)

So next question, was this a normal setup for a browning gold in 1995 or did someone get a new barrel?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

bigeejakes wrote:
Skeet69 wrote:
skeetstar wrote:

Mike B

ok so measuring from the bolt face gives me 30" barrels (not measuring extended choke)

So next question, was this a normal setup for a browning gold in 1995 or did someone get a new barrel?

They were available with 26", 28", and 30" barrels.

Mike B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:58 am 
Field Grade

I have one that is the same vintage. I have had it since it was new. I will have to look at the markings. I shot mine a ton the first ten years I owned it. It started having a few problems. I replaced the spring and it runs like new still to this day. I don't shoot it that much these days.
It has been a good gun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:14 am 
Limited Edition

Skeet69 wrote:
I have always run both of my Sporting Clays Golds wet with CLP. I coated the inside of the forearms with Tru-Oil to protect the wood. Makes cleanup of the piston and magazine tube easy enough to clean up with a paper towel. I also polished the mag tube with Flitz polish, (though this is overkill). I did it to speed cleaning when I used to shoot SC seriously. Made hotel room cleanup easy. Since the gun is 25 years old, but new to you, order some new springs and a bolt buffer for it. Cheap, and easy to change.
These guns run on gas, springs, and oil and grease where needed, keep them all fresh.

Mike B

Thanks Mike -

I ordered a new spring kit from JnP, The bolt buffer looked to be in good shape when I broke the gun down, but will probably order a new one whenever I make my next next online order of gun-stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Nice gun----TERRIBLE TRIGGER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have 3 of them. If you want to shoot a lot of Sporting Clay loads of 1 and 1 1/8 oz. at 1200 fps or greater, then order a 3 1/2 inch action spring and put it in the gun. Everything on the gun will last longer because the heavier spring slows down the bolt speed.

But the heavier spring will make it more difficult to shoot very light loads.

There are also three different gas valves for that Gold too. If the valve has one set of holes around the lower body of of the valve it is for lighter loads. If the valve has a set of holes along the lower body of the valve AND another set on the upper collar of the valve it is for heavy loads. The extra holes vent the extra gas from the heavy loads.