ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 725 firing pins
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My 20 GA Citori White Lightning is not a 725 obviously, but I am on my third set of firing pins. It only needed the bottom each time but I replace both while I am it. This time I went with the JP spring set which includes hammer springs.

The pins worked out fine but the hammer return springs are way larger in both diameter and in resting length. They would not compress enough to even fit in. At $60.00 for the package, it will not be the ones I use the next time. (I am too lazy to contact them and complain and return them, so in all fairness I probably should not squawk here.)

As to the Cheddite primers I have been using them since 2017. They are a European primer and as such run 0.001" larger in diameter than the American primers. So if you are a re-loader, after the first time if you try to use win 209 primer or other US ones, they will fall out do to the enlarged hole. Dollar wise I have saved enough on them compared to Winchester, Remington, etc. primers to offset considerable shooting costs.

With that said, when I use up the 3K or so that I have left I will go to RIO primers or Fiocchi being they work well and cost less.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:28 am 
Tournament Grade

Are all of the pin's and spring's the same for Citori's from the 325's to the 725's?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:55 pm 
Crown Grade

HHP123 wrote:
My 20 GA Citori White Lightning is not a 725 obviously, but I am on my third set of firing pins. It only needed the bottom each time but I replace both while I am it. This time I went with the JP spring set which includes hammer springs.

The pins worked out fine but the hammer return springs are way larger in both diameter and in resting length. They would not compress enough to even fit in. At $60.00 for the package, it will not be the ones I use the next time. (I am too lazy to contact them and complain and return them, so in all fairness I probably should not squawk here.)

As to the Cheddite primers I have been using them since 2017. They are a European primer and as such run 0.001" larger in diameter than the American primers. So if you are a re-loader, after the first time if you try to use win 209 primer or other US ones, they will fall out do to the enlarged hole. Dollar wise I have saved enough on them compared to Winchester, Remington, etc. primers to offset considerable shooting costs.

With that said, when I use up the 3K or so that I have left I will go to RIO primers or Fiocchi being they work well and cost less.

Rio primers are going to give you the same problem. It is a hardness issue and the angle the primer is struck by the pin. Not a size issue. Once you have a damaged firing pin it will pierce all types of primers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

So I had generally bought from Numrich in the past, on this thread I saw someone pimp JP - went there and looked for the Pins and Springs - they broke them out by models and explained a lot. I purchased two kits from them. New supplier for me - thank you group.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:57 am 
Limited Edition

J&P pin and spring kits are of high quality, good choice.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:32 am 
Tournament Grade

bought two sets of J&P's - looked good, put them in the range bag.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:46 am 
Limited Edition

In another post I revealed the trouble I had with the top lever spring sent in the J&P pin package...I can change the pins, but not the top lever and hammer springs...guess I'll save the hammer springs for a gunsmith to install someday...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:47 am 
Field Grade

Just thought I would chime in here. I started getting FTF's, searched and researched, and started a thread in the Gunsmith section.

My Citori is less than 6 months.

I have only shot commercial rounds: Mostly Top Gun and few cases of Herters.

I was shooting Top Gun when I started getting FTF's

I called Browning to get some new pins and their guy mentioned Cheddite primers but unless Top Gun or Herters use hard primers, that can't be my root cause.

I replaced the the lower pin and examined the original one under my stereo microscope. I see no signs of pitting or damage.

Many people have mentioned the 45 degree aspect of the design, but what I see when I look at the mechanism is something more basic: hammer contact point on the pins. There is a fundamental difference between the upper and lower. The upper hammer hits the upper pin at the end of the hammer. The lower hammer hits the lower pin in the middle of the hammer. Since the springs look the same, the lower hammer velocity will be HALF of the upper hammer velocity at impact. I have no idea how other brands design their trigger systems but to me, this design seems fundamentally flawed. Kind of disappointing to see this. I will go out on a limb and say the difference in the hammer impact points is the root cause of the Citori, lower firing issue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:13 am 
Field Grade

It's been a few years but I replaced the pins in my ultra and my BT-100 with titanium pins. I have not had any issues since and most of my reloading is done with cheddite primers I don't remember where I got them now??