ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Break down case for XS Special
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I tried to use search, but haven't got the hang of it yet. If there is a better place to post, please let me know.

I'm looking for a soft sided breakdown case. My XS Special has an adjustable butt plate, and the height from the comb to the tail tip is a little over 6"
I have an Americase, and it's fine, but I'm looking for something lighter to use for travel to the range.
The SKB Hybrid case looks good, but I don't know if it can be modified enough to fit the stock.
The Browning Lona case might be a fit, but not sure I like the idea of taking the stock on and off so much without a work surface like a standard case has.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on what might work, as well as feedback on the cases I've been looking at.

Post subject: Re: Break down case for XS Special
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:03 am 
Presentation Grade

Congratulations on the CX special.

Depending on barrel length, Jeff's Outfitters sells a fairly nice-looking waxed cotton case for under $100. I've been tempted to get one for a really odd 2-bbl set. They have single bbl and 2-bbl 'totes', but they are for 30" bbls.

For 2-handed assembly/diassembly - Lube the barrel parts, only. Now with bbls in right hand, remove forearm with left hand and tuck it under your right armpit. Switch barrels to left hand. Grab the receiver grip with your right hand, assemble the bbls and receiver, then grab the forearm with your left hand and install it on the barrels.

Otherwise, get a Superposed. :mrgreen:

Happy Shooting

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:17 am 
Tournament Grade

I have the SKB hybrid and after I got my Greenwood pattern stock it would not fit in the case. You can take the liner off and get to the styrofoam to trim to fit, but the fit and finish is not near as good as it was. I might have been able to take more time to re-glue to liner to the foam. It works well enough for my purpose which is for the car when I don’t want to use a sleeve.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Anatidae wrote:
Congratulations on the CX special.

Depending on barrel length, Jeff's Outfitters sells a fairly nice-looking waxed cotton case for under $100. I've been tempted to get one for a really odd 2-bbl set. They have single bbl and 2-bbl 'totes', but they are for 30" bbls.

For 2-handed assembly/diassembly - Lube the barrel parts, only. Now with bbls in right hand, remove forearm with left hand and tuck it under your right armpit. Switch barrels to left hand. Grab the receiver grip with your right hand, assemble the bbls and receiver, then grab the forearm with your left hand and install it on the barrels.

Otherwise, get a Superposed. :mrgreen:

Happy Shooting

Thanks for the info. I've been toying with the idea of a long case too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Keperkey wrote:
I have the SKB hybrid and after I got my Greenwood pattern stock it would not fit in the case. You can take the liner off and get to the styrofoam to trim to fit, but the fit and finish is not near as good as it was. I might have been able to take more time to re-glue to liner to the foam. It works well enough for my purpose which is for the car when I don’t want to use a sleeve.

I wish that case had a larger stock area. It's about what I want to use otherwise. Do you think the foam can be trimmed enough to fit >6" from tip of the tail to the top of the comb?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

6” is a lot. It will be tight. I did not have to trim that much and it was a pain. Depending on the exact shape you may not have enough room.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a SKB hybrid case for my Browning XS. I just measured my case and it's a little over 5" at the butt plate. To cut to 6" at the top of the comb would put you in the barrel channel or close to it. JMO but I don't think the SKB will work for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:54 pm 
Crown Grade

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas ... otgun-case

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:23 pm 
Field Grade

I've got one of these...works great very durable

https://boytharness.com/product/signatu ... se-pocket/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:38 am 
Utility Grade

MAX & TOBY wrote:
I have a SKB hybrid case for my Browning XS. I just measured my case and it's a little over 5" at the butt plate. To cut to 6" at the top of the comb would put you in the barrel channel or close to it. JMO but I don't think the SKB will work for you.

Thanks for that detailed information. Guess I'll have to scratch that case off my list. :(

Is there another case like the SKB, only a tad larger?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

I am sure that these guys would make you a case to fit your needs!

http://www.hueycases.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:03 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm going to give one of these a try.
https://www.browning.com/content/browni ... edown.html

Thanks for the responses.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:05 am 
Utility Grade

I received the Browning Lona case, and I think it's going to work out for what I want. Fits the gun well.

If you know anyone looking for an Americase model 3014, I think I'm going to sell it. Let me know, and thanks again for the input.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.