ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stock protection
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:05 pm 
Field Grade

Hello
I love my CX been using it about half a year and its got a few small ouchies on it from my ear protection, a shirt button, etc. Nothing really bad so far, but it is the best shotgun I own and I will probably never be in a situation to purchase another like this, so I want to make it last.
So is there a sleeve or something I can encase the stock with that would protect it? I have seen a few and it looks like over time they could rub the sheen off the stock.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Stock protection
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Depending on where I'm going I'll use either a soft case with the gun fully assembled or a hard breakdown case. Keep in mind, the more you use the gun the more it'll get dinged. Nature of the beast. Shoot it but don't abuse it and it'll last you a lifetime or three.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:46 am 
Presentation Grade

Camo tape works well - and cleans-up with WD-40.

I had some on a ‘75 Magnum Twelve for about 25 years. The stock was as perfect after waterfowling use and abuse (after clean-up) as the day I bought it.

Seriously, congratulations on the new gun. We can ALL appreciate wanting to preserve the finishes. You might consider switching from headphones to any number of 'in-ear' hearing protection devices........or put a self-stick felt or vinyl patch on the top of the comb to protect it from the headphones.

I have a few guns that I'm fairly particular about. One day at the club, I had a guy ask if I minded if he picked one up and look at it. Knowing him well, I answered "sure - if you don't mind taking your belt buckle and wedding ring off."

I have one gun that the only mark it bears is where the previous owner handled it with a wedding band on. Other than that, it is a rare example of perfection.

You just have to remain aware of how you handle a gun, to avoid any lasting marks. You seem more 'aware' than most. That'll go far.

Last edited by Anatidae on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:00 am 
Diamond Grade

Anatidae wrote:
Camo tape works well - and cleans-up with WD-40.

I had some on a ‘75 Magnum Twelve for about 25 years. The stock was as perfect after waterfowling use and abuse (after clean-up) as the day I bought it.

I had a very different experience with camo tape applied to a Winchester pump gun in the 1980's. I applied the camo tape for a turkey hunt and decided I liked the way it looked (this was before factory camo guns) so, I left it on.

Many (20?) years later when I decided to take it off, I had a nice, fine, spiral line of rust all the way up the barrel and the residue on the rest of the gun was nearly impossible to remove. :shock:

I was bummed. I had done a meticulous job applying the tape and it looked great. And there was no real reason for me to take it off; it was in great shape. I was just bored, I guess.

Anyway, I finally found that some gun oil in an old Revelation brand gun cleaning kit from Western Auto dissolved the residue. I scrubbed the barrel with steel wool and Oxpho-Blue and got it looking acceptable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:35 am 
Presentation Grade

Bob,

'Glad the gun cleaned-up, in your case.

I only applied the camo tape to the wood, knowing the gun would be constantly exposed to wet conditions. Mine had a vent-ribbed barrel too. The stock (with the camo tape) actually held-up much better than the bluing in those 25 years. I wasn't meticulous-enough in cleaning the exterior metal parts after every hunt - such is generally inexcusable by my standards.

The gun served its purpose all those years. The stock eventually cracked where they always do (at the top tang), but the finish was still perfect. I got an estimate on repair but was advised to have it re-stocked. Since I had developed a severe trigger flinch with it (and had switched to a M1-Super 90), I elected to list it for sale, noting all the blemishes in the ad photos. A fellow in my former home state of Louisiana bought it, put 2 screws in it and gave it to his grandson for Christmas 3 years ago. They have a knack at 'fixin' things. The young man was tickled to have it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:50 am 
Tournament Grade

My new go to case because I believe more risk for dings, scratches breaking a gun down to put in case on way to, way from, range and assemble again home to go in safe. this is the best thing I have found and believe it fits the goal perfect, Plus I hate putting my gun in a rack at the club as others less cautious as myself around others guns. well worth the $

https://ruggedgear.com/hamilton-slipstands/slipstands/

54" Hamilton Slipstand in Black
$159.99

Caesar Guerini Summit Trap Combo 32/34"
Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:00 am 
Diamond Grade

Anatidae wrote:
Bob,

'Glad the gun cleaned-up, in your case.

I only applied the camo tape to the wood, knowing the gun would be constantly exposed to wet conditions.

Ah... now I see my first mistake!

{hs#

I still have that shotgun; a Winchester 120 Ranger I bought at a Sears store while I was in the Navy in 1983 or `84. It's now a turkey gun, wearing a camo-dipped, rifle-sighted barrel and Knox recoil-absorbing stock. The original barrel is on a shelf in the shop, still bearing faint evidence of my camo tape wrap mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tackdriver , there is no shame in a well maintained , “used” gun. On the contrary , I own several shotguns older than I that have that patina that speaks of the past owners pride and attention.
Or you could just spray the stock with “ bedliner” :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a CX and love shooting it -- and I like how it looks too.

Interesting comments about "cases" above, as I'd bet most marks, scratches or nicks would occur when the gun is out of the case and being used.

That said, you might find this older posting of mine helpful, as it's on Home Repair of Browning Hard Finish (click here for link).

Good luck.

Old No7