ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 725 trigger location
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I posted this in the Gunsmithing Section but got no reply.
I wanted to change the location of the trigger on a 725 but the set screw will not come loose. After failed attempts to loosen it, the screw is now rounded out. The gun is several years old and I never tried to change the trigger location. I suppose the next step is to drill out the screw but that would destroy the trigger, although I have others.
Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: 725 trigger location
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:19 pm 
Field Grade

Sounds like that screw is stuck pretty good. I would put the gun in a padded vice or other secure fixture so the screw head is facing up and put a drop of Kroil or other good penetrating oil on it and let it soak in for a week. Then I'd try the allen wrench again or maybe go up to the next size wrench. If that doesn't work you may be able to get a small flat blade screw driver in there and start turning the screw. Whatever you do, protect the trigger guard and rest of the gun from any damage. The trigger shoe and screw are easily replaced once you get them off of the gun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the advice. I thought of the screwdriver thing as That has worked for me on some other things (not guns). I will get some oil.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Should have used some heat on it before you stripped the head out, now probable a die grinder to remove it and wreck the trigger , luckily 725 comes with 3, so you will need to order a new retainer screw from browning

Caesar Guerini Summit Trap Combo 32/34"
Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I tried everything before loosing patience and cutting the trigger in two with a hacksaw. I was very careful not to cut too deep. Anyway the issue is solved, as I had 5 other triggers as 3 came with the two Browning I own. It would be a good idea to loosen the set screw very year and re-tighten . After several years and 1000s of rounds things can get mighty tight.