ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre-War Superposed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

A few folks have expressed interest in seeing the Pre-War Superposed I have referred to in some other threads. Hopefully, I can make the photo's work.
I purchased this Superposed in the Mid to late 90's from an Outdoors Outfitter shop that really specialized in Canoes and Kayaks. They had a small gun room, and one day, while shopping for some other stuff, I wandered in there.
I looked on the rack and there was a shotgun with two triggers. I had to see that. Turns out it was this Superposed. I really didn't know anything about it, other than it was a Browning, and the twin triggers were cool. The Browning label was enough for me to pay attention.
The price was less that $300.00. I asked the clerk if the price was correct and he said yes. I asked if it actually worked, and he said that he did not know, but would take it back if it didn't work. I immediately bought it. It was a Browning 12 ga, O/U , for less that $300.00!!. My 20 ga. Citori was twice that 8-10 years earlier.
We took the gun to a range and had a lot of fun playing with those twin triggers. I actually thought they fired each barrel separately until a few months ago, when I started using it for the first time. I found out that each trigger can fire either barrel, beginning with the one it was designated for. I really didn't know exactly what I had in the Browning until about 10 years ago, and then I was a bit reluctant to use it because of that. I've really learned more about in the last 3-4 months. the first few weeks I used it, I didn't know how the triggers worked, until someone on this forum asked me. I would let my trigger finger fire the front trigger and slide back the the rear trigger to get ready. Yep, I was pretty ignorant.
This shotgun has basically sat in my safe for some 25 years or so. My main shotgun during that period was my Winchester 101, 12 ga., which i purchased new in the early 80's.
I've had two shoulder surgeries and two knee surgeries in the last 5 years, and this year when I went to use the 101, everything was off. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside. I was deadly with this shotgun for decades, and all of the sudden I sucked big time!! Pheasant in CT are shot at less than 30 yards probably 75% of the time. I was probably missing at less than 20.
I think the four surgeries threw off all of my mechanics, and I was about to find an instructor to help me learn to shoot again, when I grabbed the Superposed and gave it a go. This was a Browning shotgun after all. It was made to hunt! And let me tell you, it does!

This is my Pre-war Superposed, S/N 8930.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Pre-War Superposed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:13 pm 
Field Grade

For the folks that wanted a photo of the Vizsla. Here he is.
Meet Finn. He is 11 months old in this photo from opening day.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Vislahunter , there is just something about the Supers and especially the prewar that can only be understood by handling them . And a twin single trigger no less , what a great find.
Now you just have to make up for that lost time while it was in the safe !
As for Finn , He’s certainly a good looking boy and judging by the two roosters on the gate , knows what he’s doing.
Thank you for joining the group and sharing these photos {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:02 am 
Field Grade

A very nice Super!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Great buy! Love those twin single triggers as in my mind it is the best of both worlds!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Awesome pre-war! Congrats!! {hs#

BTW, here's an SGW thread where you can post more pics, stories, info, and learn from others about the Pre-War Superposed: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=366787.

Trying to get as much info about Pre-War Superposed guns on this thread as possible. In that way we have one place to go to . . .

All the best!

CFB

Support this Forum! Become a Bonus Member . . . Click on the URL, below!
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118027

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hmmm , I was expecting better out of the op , he was on at 10:47 am this morning and didn’t acknowledge any replies.
Oh well , he and pharmvet must have gone back to Facebook or Twitter , wherever you get the most attention.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:26 pm 
Field Grade

captjrsr

"Oh well , he and pharmvet must have gone back to Facebook or Twitter , wherever you get the most attention."

That's funny. :lol:
No Twitter or Facebook for me. I closed the Facebook account out awhile back because all of the negativity was just really bothering me. So it got trash canned. I don't know that I've had a Twitter account. If I do, I don't know about it.
I do miss the guys I was on a submarine with that are still on FB, but we had a lifetime of conversations under water.

I work in a Nuclear Power Plant in the northeast and we just got really busy, as one of the units had to be shutdown unexpectedly. I can check in from work, but I try not to abuse the privilege, and access. I was getting up at 4am and getting home at 7pm at night.
I've always tried to ensure that my responses, on any internet forum, are articulate and add to discourse, but when I get tired, sometimes what I might think is a snappy rejoinder, or humor, can come off as insulting and sarcastic, so,,,,,,

I've followed a few links from the discussion here, and found a source for the Josten recoil pad that looks good.
Once I know a little bit more about where I want to go with the Superposed, I'm going to contact "Art's", and see what can be done to give the shotgun another 80-90 years. I don't think much is really required, but I'm hesitant to take it apart. If it was a new shotgun, I'd already have it stripped down to the last retaining clip, but some things are meant to be given a better level of care. This is one of those things.
CrazyForBrownings sent me down some good search paths. Thank you for those.
I've done a ton of research on loads for it, and have a few directions I'd like to try. I believe to key to longevity in it's current original state is to keep the recoil forces low, and not risk compromising the stock, or cracking it. RST has some nice loads, and I'm researching non toxic alternatives if Connecticut goes to non toxic shot for upland birds.
It's always kind of bothered me to see old machinery and things like guns, get damaged permanently due to intentional neglect. I'd buy a new shotgun, before I would risk an 80-90 year old gun, regardless of make, or value, just "because". I've got a 130 year old single shot from a Norwich gun maker that has a jerry rigged carriage bolt for a hinge pin bolt. I think it's worth less than 50 bucks. It gets the same care as everything else.
I've also got 700 to 800bd/ft of 8/4 American black walnut walnut, and there is more than enough straight qsawn lumber in it to make new wood for it. I'll practice on that, and then I have some really nice curly Peruvian walnut, and Bocote, to try a more exotic stock. Something I've just been thinking about for a fun project. I've got a beautiful plank of waterfall Bubinga. We'll see where this takes us. Gotta finish training the dog though first.

Finn is definitely a good looking Vizsla. That "tailgate shot" is his first official day hunting. I'm very pleased with him.
I've had Vizslas for going on 33 years now and I still really like them as a breed. They're special. I've been blessed with some truly well bred bird dogs in my life.
We limited out the season, on pheasant and quail, and this year I'll start to train him to coastal ducks. His water work last summer indicates that we shouldn't have much trouble.
I could talk your ear off about Vizslas. ;)

I may not be logged in all the time when I'm here, but I've been all over the reloading and subgauge forums. ;)