ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did I make a mistake?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I invested into a Briley tube set for skeet shooting 20, 28, .410.They were made to fit my Browning 725. The Browning is going on 10 years old and has 1000s of rounds through it. Is the gun going to outlast the tubes?

Post subject: Re: Did I make a mistake?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

You have no cause for concern, either way. Those tubes will last as long as the gun does.

Well, let me add a post script. Those tubes as long as the gun...........maybe. My first set of Briley tubes were Matchweights. I shot them 65,000 rounds. Sold the gun and sorta kept track of it through two subsequent owners. It went way over 100,000 and the tubes never needed anything done.
On the other hand, my second set of Briley's started life as Revolution tubes. The chambers needed replaced as that was a piss-poor design. The replacement Classic chambers on the 20 gauge tubes got so loose that the tubes wouldn't stay in. So, back to Briley they went and had little brass inserts were placed on the outside of the chamber wall. Now, to be fair, the 20 gauge tubes were used way more than the others and were in and out of the gun many times. Those tubes now have over 75000 rounds down them and have had no issues beyond the chamber problems.

Last edited by Vette Jockey2 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I don't think so,

my daughter has a 1994 Citori with briley tubes, over the past 3 years she's pulled the trigger almost 10k times, 90% of it with the 20ga tubes, we bought it from another skeet shooter who had it from another so there's no telling the actual number of shots fired,

One of the best things I did was start a google spread sheet on my phone of each time we shoot, date, gauge, # of shots, it takes 30 seconds when we're done with the day,

It's quite helpful when planning for the future to look back and know we've shot 16 flats last year, what gun and what gauge,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:43 pm 
Crown Grade

With proper care---no overpressure loads/no tornado brush/lubing ejectors,etc. the tubes will have a long life.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have no idea if the gun will outlast the tubes. I am pretty sure that the gun will outlast you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:18 am 
Limited Edition

My skeet setup is pushing 500,000 rounds, Browning Ultra XS Skeet and Briley matched weight tubes. The tubes have been back twice for the little brass inserts but other than that show no sign of wearing out. I have replaced the firing pins and springs on the gun once.

GOOD stuff should last a LONG time, if cared for....