ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 725 Sporting - Trigger jams on 2nd shot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello everyone, have an occasional problem where my trigger jams on the second shot. It takes quite a bit of force to get that second shot off... way too much force. This happened to me about 10 time today. Other times, it worked normally.

I tried switching barrels, but the intermittent problem still happened.

Any idea what could cause that? I had it cleaned a couple months ago by a professional. Maybe 1000- rounds since.

Any ideas, or should I take it to the shop?

-----

MEC 9000
Google search to figure out how to use it

Post subject: Re: 725 Sporting - Trigger jams on 2nd shot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

An additional thought... this is my first shotgun. I was talked into buying a "b-gun" instead of the far less expensive CZ that I originally planned to buy... because... all the b-gun fanatics were quite clear that the brownings and beretta would be shooting while the CZ would be broken all the time.

2nd problem I've had with this gun.

First the main spring a few months ago, now this. I'm sure there is a CZ owner out there, with an extra $2K still in his bank account, that is smiling at me.

Nothing to do with the problem... I was just recalling the passion at which people came at me when I asked my opinion on buying a well reviewed CZ shotgun that wasn't a a browning/beretta.

But... I am very happy with the gun, and I know that the real money is spent on shells and clay targets.

Please don't let this take away from any suggestions you may have on my problem.

MEC 9000

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Pardon the question.....but are you absolutely certain you’re fully releasing the trigger between shots?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have fixed this problem with a number of Brownings, by offering to try shooting their gun. It doesn't't do it for me. Operator error. You must release the trigger before pulling it again. Have someone else shoot your gun, to see if they can duplicate the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Pardon the question.....but are you absolutely certain you’re fully releasing the trigger between shots?

Uh... no... I'm not... now that you ask. It was 8 hours ago, I don't remember

oregunner wrote:
I have fixed this problem with a number of Brownings, by offering to try shooting their gun. It doesn't't do it for me. Operator error. You must release the trigger before pulling it again. Have someone else shoot your gun, to see if they can duplicate the problem.

Where are you when I need you?

I am certainly not beyond an "operator error". I hope its an operator error.

I honestly cannot recall if I had a death grip on the trigger. I've put a couple thousand rounds through it and hadn't make that mistake before. Each time, I dismounted, opened up the action, closed it back and the gun fired.

I have some snap caps, I will try to recreate the problem.

MEC 9000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:26 am 
Limited Edition

I had this problem with a Citori and a Fabarm N2 when I first started wearing shooting gloves.
It was 100% my fault, not releasing the trigger enough to reset.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:29 am 
Limited Edition

Trigger trap; ask me how I know.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

md2020 wrote:
Hello everyone, have an occasional problem where my trigger jams on the second shot. It takes quite a bit of force to get that second shot off... way too much force. This happened to me about 10 time today. Other times, it worked normally.

Any idea what could cause that? I had it cleaned a couple months ago by a professional. Maybe 1000- rounds since.

-----

Your description of the problem is a little confusing and I'm wondering if the description is accurate. As others have said, "trapping" the trigger, i.e. not fully releasing it after the first shot can result in the second barrel not firing when you pull the trigger.

HOWEVER, pulling the trigger harder after trapping it will NOT cause the second barrel to fire. You must release the trigger and then try pulling it again... at which time, a normal pull should work just fine.

So, the next time this happens, simply stop and release the trigger fully. Then pull the trigger. If the gun fires like this, then you were trapping the trigger. But, if it requires some sort of greatly increased pull weight to pull the trigger, then you have some obstruction or debris in the trigger mechanism.

BTW, snap caps are not likely to be any help in finding the problem unless it's to prove to yourself that trapping the trigger won't allow the second barrel to fire, but you could do that just as easily with empty chambers if your gun will reset the trigger without recoil.

Also, you need to learn to do some simple maintenance items such as removing the buttstock and cleaning the interior by flushing with a good solvent like kerosene or mineral spirits. Lubricate lightly after the solvent cleaning. Then reassemble. It shouldn't take any "professional" to do this simple maintenance.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Check the adjustment on the trigger shoe. If it is in a certain position it can bind up. Make sure the small screw is in the indentation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ulysses wrote:
md2020 wrote:

-----

Your description of the problem is a little confusing and I'm wondering if the description is accurate. As others have said, "trapping" the trigger, i.e. not fully releasing it after the first shot can result in the second barrel not firing when you pull the trigger.

HOWEVER, pulling the trigger harder after trapping it will NOT cause the second barrel to fire. You must release the trigger and then try pulling it again... at which time, a normal pull should work just fine.

So, the next time this happens, simply stop and release the trigger fully. Then pull the trigger. If the gun fires like this, then you were trapping the trigger. But, if it requires some sort of greatly increased pull weight to pull the trigger, then you have some obstruction or debris in the trigger mechanism.

BTW, snap caps are not likely to be any help in finding the problem unless it's to prove to yourself that trapping the trigger won't allow the second barrel to fire, but you could do that just as easily with empty chambers if your gun will reset the trigger without recoil.

Also, you need to learn to do some simple maintenance items such as removing the buttstock and cleaning the interior by flushing with a good solvent like kerosene or mineral spirits. Lubricate lightly after the solvent cleaning. Then reassemble. It shouldn't take any "professional" to do this simple maintenance.

Agree on all your points and suggestions. Especially about doing simple maintenance myself. I am mechanically inclined... I work on everything else in the garage and have or am willing to buy all kinds of tools... just haven't worked on firearms before. I'll just have to open it up and take a look.

MEC 9000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Before ducking around internally, I’d recommend you eliminate the variables previously discussed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Sell and buy a CZ. You'll never be happy with the 725.

Or send in for service. Friend had trigger problems with a 725 20 gauge Sporter. He sent it in and they replaced the gun. Lucky devil. I was the previous owner.