ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1987 Browning 20 gauge Superlight 26 inch bbl
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is another of "what is it worth" questions.

I have a 20 gauge Superlight made in 1987 per the serial number. It's got the Invector chokes and 26 inch barrels. Before I put it up for sale I'm trying to get a handle on what it's worth. Gun has some of the blueing worn off the receiver from hunting and some minor lines on the butt stock, all from hunting.

Can anyone tell me what the approximate values are for excellent condition and the two conditions below that.

I don't use this gun any more and it's been "replaced" with one of the new lightweight 20 gauge Brownings with the aluminum receiver. In a way I hate to give up a blued receiver gun for an aluminum receiver gun. Difference between the two is the older one has the 2 3/4 inch chamber and the new one has the 3 inch chamber.

thanks for the help, Bill

Post subject: Re: 1987 Browning 20 gauge Superlight 26 inch bbl
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Sold mine, exact same gun awhile back for $1,100. Condition of gun was excellent. Of the many guns that I have sold wish I would have kept this one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I can give you a value but need to know if it's a Super Light Feather or if it's just a Superlight, then I need the grade. Grade 1 Superlight with chokes at 90% is $900. Note: These guns are worth a little less with Invectors compared to newer models with Invector Plus. Book says to deduct $200 from the $900 for plain Invector chokes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't think there's a grade associated with the Superlights. Mine is a Superlight as it's on the box. Does not call out a grade. Also the Superlights came with either no choke tubes if they were earlier or the Invector choke after a certain year manufacture. Invector plus did not exist at that point, so I don't understand based on that why there would be a deduction for plain invector chokes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:10 pm 
Crown Grade

OP check for PM sent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:35 am 
Crown Grade

billwnr wrote:
I don't think there's a grade associated with the Superlights. Mine is a Superlight as it's on the box. Does not call out a grade. Also the Superlights came with either no choke tubes if they were earlier or the Invector choke after a certain year manufacture. Invector plus did not exist at that point, so I don't understand based on that why there would be a deduction for plain invector chokes.

Take a look at page 437 of the latest edition of The Blue Book of Gun Values. It clearly states different grades and the deduction for 12/20 gauge guns with Invector chokes. The book also says Invector chokes were standard starting in 1988. Invector Plus standard starting in 1995. Manufacture dates and when the guns came to market can differ. The newer guns with Invector Plus are more desirable and worth more than the older model with Invector chokes. Good luck with your sale.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:09 am 
Tournament Grade

lt0026 wrote:
billwnr wrote:

Take a look at page 437 of the latest edition of The Blue Book of Gun Values. It clearly states different grades and the deduction for 12/20 gauge guns with Invector chokes. The book also says Invector chokes were standard starting in 1988. Invector Plus standard starting in 1995. Manufacture dates and when the guns came to market can differ. The newer guns with Invector Plus are more desirable and worth more than the older model with Invector chokes. Good luck with your sale.

This is interesting. The date code on the gun is NP which I think means 1987. It has screw in chokes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:29 pm 
Crown Grade

You need to look at the time it takes to manufacture the parts in Japan, put the gun together, shipped from Japan and the time the guns get marketed in the US. Proof marking and when the gun got here for retail is known to be different in many cases. Nothing odd if all the numbers match.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

It may be the market demand, but there's no practical advantage to Invector Plus chokes or the larger bore diameter.
In fact, if you ever shoot fibre wad cartridges, the Invector bore diameter is superior.
I think the $1100 value of an Excellent condition gun is not out of line. Your condition description suggests a bit lesser value.
I think that the Superlight 20 is a desirable Upland gun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

thanks for all the input on this gun. It sold today.