ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cynergy CX not firing second barrel after live first shot
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:31 pm 
Field Grade

I think I have read some issues with a Cynergys"shooting open" if the Over barrel is fired first....making the Under barrel trigger pull....feel as if the sear was no longer engaged. Unfortunately, I am asking this question because I had an issue this weekend that seemed odd. I switched my selector from U to O and shot a longer bird of an incoming pair (IC in the O barrel and SK in the U barrel). After I missed the first bird horribly and began salivating to shoot the close one....the gun didn't fire. As a matter of fact, the trigger was as if the pin had already dropped...but the primer was untouched. I tried an additional pair...and same results, except I hit the first bird. Removed both shells from the gun...empty hull and loaded round and both barrels dry fired fine. Switched the selector to U and both barrlels functioned perfectly. I am new to Browning and this is a used gun, but it seems to be in good shape. I have shot a round of .410 with it....with companion tubes...and it worked flawlessly...but I shot U/O exclusively. Does anyone have any suggestions? I desperately do not want to send it back to Browning...as I attempted to have them replace the Duratouch inserts in the composite stock because they were sticky...and they called me and said they weren't sticky to them. So I now have a sticky gun that won't fire the second barrel...and I don't trust the company to fix the issue....and if they do, it will be after the sporting clays summer is over....and this is the gun that my 11 and 14 year old shoot 28 gauge and 410 with (one set of sidekicks and one set of companion tubes). So, any help with a recommendation of a decent gunsmith who doesn't mind working on these would be appreciated. If this issue has been addressed before, I couldn't find it quickly and would be happy to read that solution so that noone would have to go back through it all... And I have removed the stock and cleaned the trigger mechanism to the point that there is absolutely no specks of dirt/powder/dust anywhere.... Thanks. Tad

Post subject: Re: Cynergy CX not firing second barrel after live first sho
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:17 am 
Tournament Grade

PM sent to you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:21 pm 
Field Grade

Didnt get a PM......☹️

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

PM sent again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sorry to hear about your trouble. My CX and my friend's CX dont have any problems.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:22 pm 
Field Grade

UPDATE....
After talking to another SW member who had similar problems, I took the sticky, 1 shot Cynergy back out today to try to replicate the problem...and take notice to the top lever position against the serial number (under the top lever). The gun did not disappoint. First pair fired as U/O, everything worked fine. Second pair with O/U.....was U only....with “floppy”, fired feeling, trigger on U barrel.....but I noticed the top lever had shifted way to the right. I opened the action, closed the action, selected “U”, and it fired. So it would seem that something is causing the gun to “open” after firing the Top (Over) barrel. Someone mentioned possibly a weak top lever spring.....Seems it wouldnt be my luck to have such an easy fix....

Or, I could have my boys shoot it only with companion tubes in sub gauges....and maybe the recoil wont be enough to open it on the “O” barrel. Thoughts???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tad -- The next time it fails to fire the second barrel, do this.
Do not open the action after it fails to fire the second barrel.
Instead, move the barrel selector switch to the other barrel.
There is a good chance that the second barrel will now fire.

Try this and please report back what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:09 pm 
Field Grade

I actually did try that...and it did not fire. That's when I remembered you telling me to look at where the top lever indexed over the serial number. On the subsequent firing of the top barrel, I looked at the lever and it was significantly to the right.....and the action was able to be opened without moving the lever much at all.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tadman1 wrote:
I actually did try that...and it did not fire. That's when I remembered you telling me to look at where the top lever indexed over the serial number. On the subsequent firing of the top barrel, I looked at the lever and it was significantly to the right.....and the action was able to be opened without moving the lever much at all.....

Sounds like it may need a new top lever spring, but it could be something else. I'm not that familiar with the Cynergy, but if it's like the Citori, the locking bolt is near the bottom of the standing breech.

I want you to clean this locking bolt CLEAN. That means using solvent followed up by rubbing alcohol. Then I want you to CLEAN the engagement recess in the rear of the barrel monobloc in the same manner so that there is zero oil left in there.

Once you've got the locking parts CLEAN, try shooting the gun again. If that doesn't fix it, then you'll likely need a new top lever spring. And if that doesn't fix it, then you may need a new locking bolt. Generally, these guns don't need a new locking bolt until many tens of thousands of rounds have been fired through them, but since it's a used gun, you don't really know how many rounds have been fired.

My guess is that a top lever spring will fix the problem. Let us know.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Is your CX composite or wood? Mine and my buddy’s are wood and don’t have this problem.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:50 am 
Field Grade

Ulysses,
I will try all of that. I have already ordered a spring kit from jnp but will clean the locking bolts really well first. Thanks for the reply.

Wowzer,
It is a CX...hence the “sticky” issue. I doubt it is stock related, but at this point, if changing the top lever spring and cleaning the locking bolts doesn’t work, I may consider buying a wood forearm and buttstock for it.....that would at least cure the ‘stickiness’. Browning wanted $650 to replace the stock, I believe. And that was more than I wanted to spend....for that issue. I contacted them on whether this part was warranty related and they said I could send it back to have it looked at....but otherwise I could buy the part from them and then take it to a local gunsmith. The DIY on the cynergy receiver teardown doesnt look terribly difficult. I think I will try it myself if cleaning the locking bolts doesnt work....Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just one follow-up point I'd make. After doing the thorough cleaning of the locking bolt(s), be sure to then lubricate lightly with gun oil or Breakfree CLP. You don't want to leave them dry for any length of time.

I still think the problem is the top lever spring, but just for insurance, a good cleaning of the locking system wouldn't hurt anything.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:49 pm 

Tadman1 wrote:
Ulysses,
I will try all of that. I have already ordered a spring kit from jnp but will clean the locking bolts really well first. Thanks for the reply.

Wowzer,
It is a CX...hence the “sticky” issue. I doubt it is stock related, but at this point, if changing the top lever spring and cleaning the locking bolts doesn’t work, I may consider buying a wood forearm and buttstock for it.....that would at least cure the ‘stickiness’. Browning wanted $650 to replace the stock, I believe. And that was more than I wanted to spend....for that issue. I contacted them on whether this part was warranty related and they said I could send it back to have it looked at....but otherwise I could buy the part from them and then take it to a local gunsmith. The DIY on the cynergy receiver teardown doesnt look terribly difficult. I think I will try it myself if cleaning the locking bolts doesn't work....Thanks for the reply.

Not sure that the action is the same for the Wood VS the Plastic stocks.
Replace the top lever spring and go shoot it before you waste any time or money fretting about anything else. I bet you will be fine.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:49 am 
Tournament Grade

Tadman -- Any updates to your issue?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:19 pm 
Field Grade

UPDATE

After talking to Browning via email and them suggesting I send the gun back to them or buy the springs from their parts department and have a local gunsmith install them, I chose another option. Thanks to a suggestion from an SW member, I ordered a cynergy spring kit with firing pins from Jnp (i believe I have that correct) and my 11 year old and I tore the cynergy receiver down per Rastoff’s diagram and directions. Put it back together and it seems to lock up tight. Had a bugger of a time getting the new top lever spring in....and a difficult time getting the rockers back in.....but with 2 hrs of work, it is back together with all new springs and firing pins. Going to shoot it tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes. I am cautiously optimistic. Thanks to everyone who helped and responded. I think the spring kit was $36.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tadman1 wrote:
UPDATE

After talking to Browning via email and them suggesting I send the gun back to them or buy the springs from their parts department and have a local gunsmith install them, I chose another option. Thanks to a suggestion from an SW member, I ordered a cynergy spring kit with firing pins from Jnp (i believe I have that correct) and my 11 year old and I tore the cynergy receiver down per Rastoff’s diagram and directions. Put it back together and it seems to lock up tight. Had a bugger of a time getting the new top lever spring in....and a difficult time getting the rockers back in.....but with 2 hrs of work, it is back together with all new springs and firing pins. Going to shoot it tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes. I am cautiously optimistic. Thanks to everyone who helped and responded. I think the spring kit was $36.

Cool. Glad to hear that it is back in service.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:25 pm 
Field Grade

FINAL UPDATE
Shot 200 rds today.....gun functioned flawlessy....other than sticking to my hands....the issue that Browning said didnt exist... Thanks to Curly for the suggestion on a place to buy the springs and Rastoff for the phenomenal DIY on tearing down the cynergy receiver. In total, it cost me $36 and 2 hours of time......vs the weeks or months wait if I had sent it back to Browning.... Interestingly, one of the guys shooting in our squad today....had his cynergy start doing the same thing today. Same story.....subgauges....no problem. 12 gauge with top barrel selected...no trigger for second shot and top lever shifted to the right. Thanks everyone for the help.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tadman -- You ordered a spring kit from JNP. Who is JNP and do you have a item number for that spring kit. I need to order one also.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:36 pm 

hitsomemisssome wrote:
Tadman -- You ordered a spring kit from JNP. Who is JNP and do you have a item number for that spring kit. I need to order one also.

J & P springs is the answer.
This is a link to Browning springs there.
https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/BROWNING-PARTS-c20975296

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Curly.