ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For Randy W or other Auto-5 fans
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ok let me preface by saying that I understand how head/eye position and flinching can impact POI vs POA. I have been patterning shotguns since the mid 70’s and have been a competitive clay shooter for about 20 years so I have a decent grasp of shooting fundamentals ........but there is one thing that baffles me. Why do many/most Auto-5s tend to impact high? I have/had several that shot around 90/10 or worse WHEN SHOOTING OFF A BENCH OR shooting a pattern board? This is primarily at 40 yards but it is noticeable at other distances as well and more so with heavier loads. The rib (for those equipped) is parallel to the bore instead of ramped like a trap gun, so it should shoot relatively flat unless something else is going on in the mechanics of the firing sequence. Could it be that due to some design feature the barrel angle of departure relative to the target changes before the shot charge leaves the barrel? I am stumped!

FWIW, I have had other shooters shoot the guns and had the same experience.

Note: I do not see this with my Benelli M1, Montefeltro, or my various Remingtons that also have “parallel” ribs. They all shoot relatively flat.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: For Randy W or other Auto-5 fans
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:17 pm 
Crown Grade

I haven’t noticed that, but now I’ve got another excuse for missing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have patterned over a dozen different a5s now and only the 1960s and newer guns patterned 6-8” high at 40 yds, none of my early gun patterned unusually high. I think it’s the drop on the stocks that are different for me. 1/4” drop at heel makes a lot of difference at 40 yards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:39 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

CWPINST wrote:
Why do many/most Auto-5s tend to impact high?

They don't. I've had many Auto-5 standard weight 12's, Light Twelves, eight or nine Sweet Sixteens, several Twenty Magnums, Light Twenty's, etc. They all shoot to point of aim at 40 yards.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

CWPINST wrote:
Ok let me preface by saying that I understand how head/eye position and flinching can impact POI vs POA. I have been patterning shotguns since the mid 70’s and have been a competitive clay shooter for about 20 years so I have a decent grasp of shooting fundamentals ........but there is one thing that baffles me. Why do many/most Auto-5s tend to impact high? I have/had several that shot around 90/10 or worse WHEN SHOOTING OFF A BENCH OR shooting a pattern board? This is primarily at 40 yards but it is noticeable at other distances as well and more so with heavier loads. The rib (for those equipped) is parallel to the bore instead of ramped like a trap gun, so it should shoot relatively flat unless something else is going on in the mechanics of the firing sequence. Could it be that due to some design feature the barrel angle of departure relative to the target changes before the shot charge leaves the barrel? I am stumped!

FWIW, I have had other shooters shoot the guns and had the same experience.

Note: I do not see this with my Benelli M1, Montefeltro, or my various Remingtons that also have “parallel” ribs. They all shoot relatively flat.

Thanks!

Ditto. I've owned two Japanese Light Twelves, a 26" and a 28", and a 28" Belgian Sweet Sixteen, and they all shot high for me. I always saw too much rib, even with the LOP about as long as I could handle. I chalked it up to stock fit and moved on to other, non-A5 guns that shot to POA for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:00 am 
Tournament Grade

My most significant experiences were with two 12ga magnum guns. One was a Japanese build with two barrels and the other that I still own is a 1966 Belgian model with a 30inch full. The Japanese gun shot basically 100/0. In other words, the bottom edge of the pattern was where my POA was. It did it with both barrels. They were Invector barrels so I assumed it had to be in the choke threading. IDK, but it worked pretty good for Trap but not for anything else. Sighting on this gun was carefully done looking down the rib with nothing in sight but the bead. Still shot high. I sold that gun.

The Belgian one, I still own but it shoots almost as high. For years it was my deer shotgun, but to hit the deer, I had to aim a little UNDER it to make sure the load hit the shoulder. I wish there was a way of correcting this because I really love the gun. Note: the high impact with this gun is still while looking straight down the rib so all I see is the bead. Wish I could figure out what is making it shoot high???? I have an old beater 20ga that shoots pretty close to POA though.

As a note to folks who have heard that Auto-5s recoil badly, I can tell you that with the rings adjusted correctly and the mag tube very lightly oiled, the 3 inch Auto-5’s are the LIGHTEST recoiling 3 inch guns that I have ever shot with 3 inch buckshot......and that includes a Beretta Extrema 2 with K/O. They are kittens. Auto-5s that recoil harshly invariably do not have their rings setup correctly and/or are over oiled. 1-2 drops of CLP or 30wt motor oil is all that it takes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:29 pm 
Field Grade

I don’t know about shooting high but agree they are light recoiling when set up correctly. Maybe the lightest recoiling shotguns I have ever fired.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:07 am 
Limited Edition

My Light 20 (1966 gun) with the Belgian barrel shoots pretty much point of aim. The japanese invector barrel shoots high. My 1909 Remington 12ga. shoots POA.