ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for folks who know the Auto 5. Barrel question.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I just recently picked up a 1952 Belgian Auto 5. There's an issue I'm concerned about with the barrel that I would like to find a concrete answer on before I go out and shoot it.

The barrel seems to sit a little far forward in the receiver to point that part of the barrel extension is showing. Upon disassembly I have discovered that the barrel has given the forearm a pretty good beating and has worn indents into the wood that allow it to move forward farther that it seems like it should. This is also allowing the bolt charging handle to make contact with the receiver when the bolt comes forward. So my question is, is this something that normally happens to these guns and is safe to use in this condition or should I replace the forearm before I attempt to fire the gun? Pics below show the issue. I appreciate any help yall can offer me.

Post subject: Re: Looking for folks who know the Auto 5. Have a question a
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:16 pm 
Crown Grade

DON’T SHOOT IT.. Just as you’re not supposed to let the bolt slam forward with the gun disassembled, shooting it will damage the receiver. There’s a thread about the “Mystery Notch” here, with pictures:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=433327

But it’s obvious what happened. Replacement forearms are available from Midwest Gun Works, Numrich and others.

Post subject: Re: Looking for folks who know the Auto 5. Have a question a
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Rudolph31 wrote:
DON’T SHOOT IT.. Just as you’re not supposed to let the bolt slam forward with the gun disassembled, shooting it will damage the receiver. There’s a thread about the “Mystery Notch” here, with pictures:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=433327

But it’s obvious what happened. Replacement forearms are available from Midwest Gun Works, Numrich and others.

That's exactly what I figured and I actually already have a new forearm on the way. Should be here tomorrow. Was itching to get out there and break some clays with it this weekend and I'm just glad I used my better judgement on that one. I looked through that thread and I definitely don't want my gun to end up like that.