ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Browning Coatings - Cleaning/Maintenance/Durability?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Does anyone know where I can find information on Browning's new coatings for their composite shotguns. From what I understand they had big issues with Dura-Touch but I can't seem to find any info on what they switched to, how it is applied, what's underneath the coating (bare or blued steel, white or black composite furniture).

I'm also curious how these finishes are cleaned and protected. Any tips or feedback on durability would be appreciated as well.

The owners manual says nothing on cleaning/maintaining the exterior of their composite shotguns.

Post subject: Re: New Browning Coatings - Cleaning/Maintenance/Durability?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:11 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Scout80 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find information on Browning's new coatings for their composite shotguns.

What new coatings? :shock: There isn't anything new. Composite doesn't mean composite, it is all cheap blow-molded thermoplastic on shotguns that costs only pennies per stock to make in little melted beads. There is nothing new.

Plastic stocks (imagined to be a composite of plastic and . . . plastic) are just that . . . plastic. They need no particular care. In the case of dipped finishes, it is just clear-coat that protects the decal. It isn't a good idea to use harsh metal cleaners on plastic, but other than using a damp cloth when needed, there is no care required.

Scout80 wrote:
The owners manual says nothing on cleaning/maintaining the exterior of their composite shotguns.

There is a reason for that: no particular maintenance is needed, much less required.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

So if nothing is new as you state, are they still using Dura Touch coatings? Their website doesn’t mention it if they are but does have info on the class action lawsuit that resulted from tacky coatings.

Can anyone speak to the durability of the coatings? Or decal/clear coat as Randy put it.

Regarding composite v plastic. I was just using Browning’s nomenclature. I don’t really care what term we use. Maybe we just call it an organic compound since it probably contains some carbon combined with other elements using a chemical reaction.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:00 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Scout80 wrote:
So if nothing is new as you state, are they still using Dura Touch coatings?

No. The class-action event ended that. https://duratouchsupport.browning.com/ .

http://randywakeman.com/