ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crazy Idea: Auto 5 Friction Ring
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:07 pm 
Field Grade

I bought a really clean Auto 5 that someone shortened the barrel for and added a Lyman choke. I've since found a 28" modified barrel for it and have been thinking of shortening the barrel with the Lyman choke to 20". Unfortunately, that would cause problems with the recoil operation, which leads to my question:

What if I run two bronze friction pieces on the shortened (i.e. lighter ) barrel for heavier loads?

Post subject: Re: Crazy Idea: Auto 5 Friction Ring
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Are you positive it would cause problems with the recoil operation? I mean, weren't a lot of Auto 5 type shotguns (Remington Model 11) used in "riot" configuration?

I am not an expert but I also not convinced a 20 inch barrel would cause a problem if all else is not too worn & correctly set (lube, rings, good springs) on the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:37 am 
Crown Grade

I agree with Oyeme. Using two friction pieces is totally unnecessary for what you’re contemplating. However, if for some reason you want to add more friction to the system, you can easily buy the magnum parts. These consist of two smaller bronze friction pieces and three steel friction rings. Most likely you’ll turn your Auto-5 into a straight-pull bolt action.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:57 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

DesertMuleDeer wrote:
Unfortunately, that would cause problems with the recoil operation, which leads to my question:

How do you know there is any problem at all?

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:14 pm 
Field Grade

I'm basing my comments on the shortened barrel on those who've gone before and written it up on the innernet, but you know what they say about the innernet.

I may just try it on my own and look into the magnum rings (thank you for the suggestion) if it's a problem. I'm late to A5s but having fund playing with them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:50 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Bonnie and Clyde had fun experimenting as well. Kinda sorta.

http://randywakeman.com/