ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A5 friction rings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:35 pm 
Field Grade

When people say the rings are changed between a light and heavy load, say strictly with a 2 3/4 shell is the different between high brass and low brass, or between the lightest possible load and the heaviest duck load or does it just depend?

If I was just shooting a field and a pheasant load am I likely to have to adjust the rings?

Would a 3" 20ga ever shoot a light field load?

Thanks,
Bill

Post subject: Re: A5 friction rings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:14 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

b79holmes wrote:
Would a 3" 20ga ever shoot a light field load?

Thanks,
Bill

None of mine will: it takes 1 oz. minimum.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:15 am 
Crown Grade

Here’s Browning’s take on it. But it all depends on your shotgun. If it’s not cycling, it’s time to change the rings, put some oil on the mag tube, or both.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:43 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

b79holmes wrote:
When people say the rings are changed between a light and heavy load, say strictly with a 2 3/4 shell is the different between high brass and low brass, or between the lightest possible load and the heaviest duck load or does it just depend?

If I was just shooting a field and a pheasant load am I likely to have to adjust the rings?

The default is to always use the "heavy setting." If your gun functions with the loads you're using . . . you're done.

The "heaviest duck load" broke my Dad's standardweight A-5 with the very first shot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
b79holmes wrote:

The default is to always use the "heavy setting." If your gun functions with the loads you're using . . . you're done.

The "heaviest duck load" broke my Dad's standardweight A-5 with the very first shot.

Out of curiosity, what part did the Magnum load break in that A-5?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:39 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It cracked the action spring tube.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Wow! Thanks, Randy.

Good to know as until now I thought the great A-5 properly adjusted was indestructible if shells of the correct length were used.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:52 pm 
Crown Grade

According to Art, the early (pre-1958) action spring tubes were screwed in and had a tendency to break off. Browning fixed the problem by leaving off the threads and silver soldering them in place.