ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CXS Lower barrel firing pin is pitted?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:19 pm 
Field Grade

I bought in last August a new CXs 30'' . Shot 1350 rounds.
When cleaning the breech I noticed that the upper firing pin looks brand new, but the lower firing pin at the top end started to pit. A small hole right in the middle of the pin?

Is this normal? This happens after 1350 rounds?

I used remington gun club 11/8 1145 and mainly challenger 1on 1200

how long will this firing pin will last?

thanks for your advice

Post subject: Re: CXS Lower barrel firing pin is pitted?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

pow1 wrote:
I bought in last August a new CXs 30'' . Shot 1350 rounds.
When cleaning the breech I noticed that the upper firing pin looks brand new, but the lower firing pin at the top end started to pit. A small hole right in the middle of the pin?

Is this normal? This happens after 1350 rounds?

I used remington gun club 11/8 1145 and mainly challenger 1on 1200

how long will this firing pin will last?

thanks for your advice

Browning lower firing pin pitting is not uncommon: there are countless threads mentioning it.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:26 pm 
Limited Edition

I believe the challenger loads have harder primers,maybe cheddites, that often pierce on the lower barrel.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:51 am 
Limited Edition

Some brands with hard primers cause pitting and firing pin erosion in Brownings, especially the lower pin because of the strike angle.
Try to avoid those that give you trouble (a small magnifier that you can use to get in close to the pins will help determine their condition) and if you need to eventually replace them, use J&P...they hold up much better in case you run into problem primers again...seems it happens all to often anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:14 am 
Crown Grade

Once the lower pin gets worse it will pierce all brands of primers. I consider the pin a routine maintenance item. A very easy item to replace, even for a novice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:18 pm 
Field Grade

When i noticed pitting on my cxs lower pin, i removed it and chucked it in a drill to polish smooth, have not had any light strikes and still in good shape after 500 rounds

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

47MolineRTU wrote:
When i noticed pitting on my cxs lower pin, i removed it and chucked it in a drill to polish smooth, have not had any light strikes and still in good shape after 500 rounds

How did you do this?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:51 am 
Field Grade

Used sandpaper to remove pits then a fine knife sharpening stone to polish. Spinning in drill keeps from getting flat spots and moving angle firing pin touches sandpaper/stone back and forth keeps the rounded profile. Just keep in mind if you take off too much metal you will get light strikes so don't take off too much metal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:04 am 
Diamond Grade

Is this the same problem potentially endemic with the Browning Superposed models also? Same lower pin angle? I've often wondered that.

One does not hear about this issue in the Superposed. Obviously because their use as high volume clays guns is miniscule these days compared to the prevalence of Citoris. And, back in the heydays of the Superposed as target guns, I would wager most shooters of either reloads or factory shells were using ammo with either Winchester, Remington, or Federal, American made primers.

My only Superposed was never a target gun. Although due to necessity, a low gun budget, and youthful ignorance, I used it as such for dabbling in registered skeet and relatively lower volume league, and fun skeet for a few years. It's a Superlight field gun I've owned since 1980.

I don't have a clue if my lower pin is pitted. It's never failed that I recall. I only use W209 primers but have some Fiocchi 616 if the shortage persists.
I don't shoot the Superposed often.

So not worried, just curious.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:33 am 
Tournament Grade

Recall, in the Gunsmithing section of this site there's a very clear depiction/description of removing citori firing pins. Really is straight forward and within the range of most tinkerers.
Wooster