ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 06, 2021 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maxus is Breakfree CLP a solution? Randy Wakeman?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:55 am 
Tournament Grade

I just bought a 12 gauge Maxus 3" with a 28" barrel. During its first two rounds of skeet, it often would not cycle the second shot. I read the manual, wiping the factory protectant off and put two (total) drops of Rem Oil on the bolt slides. Is the gun just not broken in, too new? I was using Herter's 1 ounce 8 shot shells at 1,180 fps. Is Breakfree CLP what to do? Where should it be applied?

Last edited by trappertom on Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Maxus is Breakfree CLP a solution? Randy Wakeman?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What exactly do you mean by "it often would cycle the second shot"?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Sorry, lossking, just edited with the word "not."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:17 am 
Diamond Grade

Shoot 1 1/8 oz. loads for a few more rounds of skeet to give it a chance to break in a bit.

It seems like most modern semi-autos need a box or two of strong loads before they smooth up enough to shoot light skeet loads.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bob's right. New semi-autos often need to be shot some before all the metal parts that move against each other are smoothed out. You did well to remove all the factory protectant and to lube the bolt slide. Make sure that the rails in which the bolt slide rides are lubed as well. I always give the entire inside of the receiver a light wipe down with RemOil. Run a few boxes through the gun and it should cycle properly. 1 oz. @ 1180 fps is a pretty light load, though. You may need to go to a higher velocity or to 1 1/8 oz. What does the owner's manual list as the lightest load for the gun?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:09 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

trappertom wrote:
I just bought a 12 gauge Maxus 3" with a 28" barrel. During its first two rounds of skeet, it often would not cycle the second shot.

Well, for starters, it is a good idea to go through the entire gun with G96, RemOil Pro Cubed, Ballistol, etc. If you want a suggestion, G96 is the pick of the litter. I don't use Herter's, but as other have said, use decent 1-1/8 oz. 1200 fps loads for a few boxes.

1 oz. 1300 fps loads have been excellent in new 12 gauge guns for me . . . Fabarm L4S Hunter, V3's, Mossberg 930 / 940s, various inertia guns (including a 3-1/2 inch Masai Mara) and so forth.

If you want to keep from gouging / eroding the ejection port, you might want to stay away from steel caps . . . that means AA's or STS loads.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

I cleaned the gun again using CLP this time. I bought a case of 1 1/8 oz. shells, and ran 4 boxes through it. No problem. I've been told at my gun club that doing so will loosen the new parts, after which 1 oz. will work fine. Thank all of you for the help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Trapper Tom?! Dude you are the best! Love the tent setup at M&M.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was shooting 3/4 ounce reloads in my Maxus without issue after about 100 rounds of 1 1/8 ounce loads. I really do love that gun.

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:05 am 
Crown Grade

trappertom wrote:
I cleaned the gun again using CLP this time. I bought a case of 1 1/8 oz. shells, and ran 4 boxes through it. No problem. I've been told at my gun club that doing so will loosen the new parts, after which 1 oz. will work fine. Thank all of you for the help.

Who said that?? Complete garbage!
Must be a self proclaimed local EXPERT!