ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on Browning 20 gauge O/U
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:47 am 
Utility Grade

Being a semi-avid grouse hunter and always on the search for the perfect gun, recently started looking at offerings from Browning.

Want lightweight, 26" barrels and the now discontinued Citori Super Feather Weight/Light caught my eye. However with current shortages hard to find any 20 gauge model locally to heft and feel. Second choice may be a Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 gauge/26" which seem more available.

Have never owned a Browning, but hear only good things about them. From those who own one, is it a good choice to try and track down?

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Browning 20 gauge O/U
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My favorite gun. I like the Beretta in 12 gauge but prefer the size and feel of the Browning Citori in 20 gauge. Had a 26" Bought a 28". Liked the 26". Wish I had kept it too., Lots of variation in weight of these guns I think due to the wood. The 26" I had was considerably heavier than the 28" that replaced it and that was part of the reason for the change.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

CuriousGeorge wrote:
Being a semi-avid grouse hunter and always on the search for the perfect gun, recently started looking at offerings from Browning.

Want lightweight, 26" barrels and the now discontinued Citori Super Feather Weight/Light caught my eye. However with current shortages hard to find any 20 gauge model locally to heft and feel. Second choice may be a Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 gauge/26" which seem more available.

Have never owned a Browning, but hear only good things about them. From those who own one, is it a good choice to try and track down?

A good lightweight pump or semi-auto with a short barrel was my choice for grouse hunting for several reasons:

1. Cost is about 1/3 to 1/2 what a Browning or Beretta O/U costs.

2. Capable of holding 3 (or more) shells.

3. Slightly slimmer/sleeker through the receiver makes for easy one-hand carry.

4. Quicker pointing than a stubby two-barrel gun.

5. Easier/quicker to reload or top off with extra shell(s).

6. Easier for average gun owner to repair/replace parts if something goes wrong.

7. Much better availability/choice on the used gun market.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

I own a pair of supers, both super lights. One each in 12 and 20. They’ve both seen grouse duty, but when the going gets rough, a have a montefeltro 20, with 24” in barrel that I don’t mind using to stick in front of me in the thickest of thick.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:31 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a Citori Feather Lightning in 20 gauge that I use for grouse hunting and other upland bird hunting. Great light gun at around 6 pounds. I also have a Citori Feather Superlight in 16 gauge that I also use for bird hunting. Another great light gun at 6.4 pounds. However, the Feather Lightning has been discontinued for several years. But can be found used. I also have 3 Beretta 686s in 20 gauge including a Silver Pigeon 1. All of them are just over 6 pounds and great guns for upland bird hunting. You can’t go wrong with any of the Citori or 686 field guns for any kind of upland bird hunting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:04 am 
Field Grade

I'm in the exact same situation as you. I'm interested in any of the feather brownings (even the cynergy), beretta SP1, B Rizzini br110 lite lux and the Benelli 828u. I plan on handling as many of those as I can then picking the one that fits me the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:05 pm 
Field Grade

CuriousGeorge wrote:

I have a Citori classic white lighting 20 gauge, 26" and it's my favorite for grouse, rabbits and anything that involves long walks and quick shots. I know it's almost impossible these days, but I would try and shoulder the Citori and Beretta SP1 and see which one feels best. If not feasible, I don't think you can go wrong with the Citori.