ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need opinions & price check on Browning Citori Special Trap
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

An acquaintance has one of these for sale, 32" barrels, with box, and I am wondering what its reputation and value is. From reading other posts, it appears that this gun was produced in the 1990s and is the predecessor of the XT Trap.
I am a "dabbler" in trap and shot an XT Trap once, only a few rounds, but I liked it. I currently have a Beretta 391 with 30-inch barrel, and I like that a lot, especially that it is soft-shooting. But I have always wanted to try an O/U ... if the price were right.
The gun appears to be in excellent cosmetic condition, and it has an adjustable comb and an adjustable buttplate with a Kick-Eez pad. (The metal kind that go up-down, left-right, etc.) He says they were added afterwards. He says it has been shot, but not shot out. (Not really sure what that means. Do these guns have a life-span, since they have no moving parts?)
My 391 weighs 7 lb. 13 oz., and the Citori weighs 8 lb. 11 oz. The Citori did feel a bit hefty when I mounted it, but I suppose that could help in my swing, plus soak up some recoil.
Here are my questions:
1) Generally speaking, are these considered good guns that will last, and do they have any endemic issues, like parts that break, etc. (I don't know too much about Brownings.)
2) Anything special I should look for when I go over the gun?
3) What is felt recoil on this gun like, vs. my 391? I'm not a big guy, so I don't want it to beat me up.
4) What would a fair price be to pay for it? Looking at some posts from a few years ago, it seemed that people valued the gun at $1,200-$1,400, but that was just a few posts I read. I'm not sure if these have gone up or down in value since. (I would suppose down, the older they get.)
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Need opinions & price check on Browning Citori Special T
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:05 am 
Tournament Grade

I have 3 Citoris. All great guns. You should have no problem with any Citori. One basic thing to check for is the top lever. It should be to the right or at least center. If it is to the left it means its been shot a lot and probably needs some work. I am not familiar with that Special Trap model. At well over 8 pounds recoil should not be an issue. I have a Lightning Sporting Clays model thats around 8 pounds with 30 inch barrels made in the 1990s. Probably similar to the Trap model. I bought it used a few years ago for $1400 with a nice hard leather and canvas case. $1200 to $1400 seems like an appropriate price range for that gun as you describe it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:14 am 
Crown Grade

Anywhere between $1000-1200. As per Blue Book. They were discontinued in 1999.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks all. He told me today he wants $1,600. So I doubt this will pan out, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gunsrfun1 wrote:
Thanks all. He told me today he wants $1,600. So I doubt this will pan out, but we'll see.

Want and get are 2 very different things :wink:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:41 am 
Crown Grade

gunsrfun1 wrote:

Full retail price new on that gun was $1658.00.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:45 am 
Diamond Grade

A new Browning CXT is essentially the same gun.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

All - Thanks for your comments. I took a closer look at the gun today, and here are my findings:

1) It appears to be in excellent shape cosmetically and mechanically. I really couldn't find any dings, scratches, or marks on it. No rust, even under the stock. Lockup is tight. Either the guy took really good care of it, or he didn't shoot it all that much. I believe it may be more the former.
2) It's got an aftermarket adjustable comb and fully adjustable butt plate, as one of the pictures below shows. The guy says he paid $600 to have the work done. I tried all the adjustments, and they work. It comes with various spacers to adjust height. I am no expert on this, but it looks like a quality job to me.
3) Comes with original box and papers.

Now here is the rub: The top locking lever is in the center (actually slightly right of center) when locked. (See picture below.) As some of you have noted, that this indicates wear, and could mean a costly repair. I took a look at the locking mechanism, and while I didn't see anything that looks overly worn, I am no expert on this either.

So here is where I stand:
a) This gun would be a toy for me. I already have a 391 that I like. It's just that I have always wanted to try an O/U, and at least this one fits me well, and it's a brand-name gun.
b) But if I don't like it, I want to be able to sell it without losing my shirt. The issue of the locking lever might make it hard to sell to someone else. Plus, as someone has noted, this is strictly a trap gun. So my "target audience" for a sale will be limited.
c) I don't want to have to repair the locking mechanism (or anything else) after a few thousand rounds.

Therefore, I don't want to overpay. He wants $1,600, but no way I will pay that. (I can't afford to anyway.)

What do you think? Should I pass? Make an offer? If so, what's a fair price?

Open to any and all comments and suggestions.

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What is the max you're willing to go? I myself wouldn't worry that much about the lever,an easy way to check tightness is take fore arm off and try to wiggle the Bbl's If little to no movement of any type good to go,If a lot pass. Sounds like he's trying to re-coup his costs on the comb and butt adj. Offer him a tad below your max and go from there. But that's me :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

most gunsmiths can rebuild that citori with new springs and tightening the action for $250-$450

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

I think his price is fair but I'm always looking for a bargain so I'd offer $1400.00.
The adjustable comb and butt plate offer added value to the gun.
The locking lever isn't that bad so I wouldn't worry about it.
Hopper gave you an excellent suggestion of how to check the tightness.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:56 am 
Crown Grade

The extra alterations also depreciate just like the gun. You are paying full list price for what the gun cost new. The person isn't a motivated seller at $1600.
Is this a consignment gun with a high price because of a commission to be paid? At $1600 the gun should be 100% with no work needed. It isn't. And that's a high price to pay at $1600. $1200 would be my top price. The gun needs work. Price in the cost of a complete rebuild and shipping is about $400 for a decent gunsmith. Hard pass at anything above $1200.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks all for your comments and advice, it was very helpful. I called an authorized Browning repair dealer today and spoke with him. (Ken Eyster/Heritage gun, very nice guy and seemed very knowledgeable.) As some of you pointed out, he agreed that based on the position of the locking lever, the gun has been shot a lot. Basically, the gun will need a new LB at some point, could be sooner, could be later. So add another $300 between repair and shipping.
I went downstairs and took out my 391, which I haven't shot in awhile. It fit right, it looks great, it's a soft shooter, and I realized I have no need for another trap gun.
I may make a relatively low offer and see if the seller bites, but otherwise I am going to pass.
Thanks again for all your help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:36 pm 
Crown Grade

gunsrfun1 wrote:
Thanks all for your comments and advice, it was very helpful. I called an authorized Browning repair dealer today and spoke with him. (Ken Eyster/Heritage gun, very nice guy and seemed very knowledgeable.) As some of you pointed out, he agreed that based on the position of the locking lever, the gun has been shot a lot. Basically, the gun will need a new LB at some point, could be sooner, could be later. So add another $300 between repair and shipping.
I went downstairs and took out my 391, which I haven't shot in awhile. It fit right, it looks great, it's a soft shooter, and I realized I have no need for another trap gun.
I may make a relatively low offer and see if the seller bites, but otherwise I am going to pass.
Thanks again for all your help.

If you buy, send the gun out and have everything done at once. Have it gone over completely and pay for shipping once.