ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 06, 2021 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning A5 sweet sixteen.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:26 am 
Utility Grade

I have came into possession of a Browning A5 16 gauge. It doesn’t say “Sweet Sixteen” on the receiver, but in researching it, I believe it is one of the first sweet sixteens. I found a serial number list on this forum posted by Goad. The serial number on this gun is 117xxx, making it manufactured in 1938 according to the list. It has a gold trigger, a hollow butt stock, three holes in the barrel ring and weighs under seven pounds. Am I right that this is a sweet sixteen? Thanks for any insight.

Post subject: Re: Browning A5 sweet sixteen.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hi 2Hunt, From what I know about your gun, it is a Sweet Sixteen. The excitement begins as we find out if it is a 1938, 1937, or a 1936 gun. Only Browning knows for sure. They may have the documented history of its original destination after leaving Browning. Some will have a solid documented history, some have a limited documented history, and unfortunately some have no record.

I strongly recommend you contact Browning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I did contact Browning, I talked to their historian Ryan. He assured me it is definitely a sweet sixteen. He is going to research it, but he said he is about 2 months out. My brother has the gun and informed me yesterday that it actually has 5 holes in the barrel ring instead of 3. The plot thickens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Five hole barrel ring Sweet Sixteen with a hollow stock, it has potential to be the second 1936 test market Sweet Sixteen. The only other one has the five hole barrel ring, hollow stock and 1938 serial number.

Two months out?!?!? At my age, I could get old in two months.