ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 725 Sporting standard vs Parallel comb
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm in the market for a 725 Sporting 12g, will be going with 30"bbls. Browning released a Parallel comb version at the Shotshow and I'm wondering which version would be better suited for me. Before you guys tell me to go try them both out I can't, no dealer remotely close has a Parallel comb in stock, so would have to be mail ordered. I shoot 5 stand and occasional skeet, and prefer low gun shooting style. Have shot Citoris for years and they've always fit me well, just not sure if the higher parallel comb will suit me well. Then again, I suppose its no different then buying a 725 with adjustable comb and raising it...the parallel comb would be similar just one solid piece of wood. Sucks not being able to actually handle one.

Post subject: Re: 725 Sporting standard vs Parallel comb
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:47 pm 
Field Grade

I work in a large Browning full line dealer. We have a parallel comb 725 in stock. While it's a good looking gun, it's somewhat flawed. Its very sensitive to cheek pressure. In order to get a good cheekweld, one would have to have the perfect shaped face. If I mount the gun in the same fashion used to mount the rest of my guns, the stock is too low. I can only get a proper sight picture if I'm only lightly touching my cheek to the stock. This seems to be a common complaint from customers who've tried the gun. In my opinion, it needs an adjustable comb in order for folks to get a good mount with a good sight picture.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:46 am 
Presentation Grade

very interesting, thanks for reply 40Shotguns...I would have thought the opposite would happen, that because the comb already sits higher (as compared to standard Sporting) that the cheek would end being pressed more firmly against the comb to get correct sight picture. I'd like to think my face is perfectly shaped haha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:30 am 
Field Grade

The parallel comb has a 1 and 3/4" drop. A std 725 sporting is 1 and 9/16" drop at the comb. I think it's that 3/16" greater drop on the PC model that is causing the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:55 pm 
Utility Grade

I wouldn’t suggest a parallel comb for low gun mount. I think you will want a little drop for that style of shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:26 am 
Presentation Grade

Signman150 wrote:
I wouldn’t suggest a parallel comb for low gun mount. I think you will want a little drop for that style of shooting.

ugh why'd you have to tell me that lol...I just found a gorgeous NIB 725 Skeet with adjustable comb that was calling my name!