ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 07, 2021 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Briley chokes in an old Auto5
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Several years ago I had a span of Briley thin wall chokes installed in my Auto5 Sweet Sixteen, a "blondy" dated 1969, no salt wood. I can now shoot skeet, pheasant hunt, and use it at a game farm with non-toxic shot. It is now flexible. Value? Your thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Briley chokes in an old Auto5
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:35 pm 
Field Grade

Value to a collector of vintage unmolested A5's....is zero. But to you....what a great gun....it does exactly what you want it to do. Sounds like a do everything A5!!! I've got 5 of them to cover my needs. But a one size fits all is a great setup for sure!

As far as a resale value....meh.... No pictures.....no description of the gun...in a game where condition is EVERYTHING....any response you get with a number attached is nothing but a true shot in the dark.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Value is as a shooter which could be anywhere from $300.00 to $1300.00 depending on condition. Choke job added nothing to the value and if gun was a collector grade gun it actually hurt the value.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

The gun is a 1959 "blondie" Sweet Sixteen. It has a 28" ventilated rib the lumber has no dents, only handling marks. Other than the Briley chokes, the gun is the way it was born.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My wild guess, probably around 700 dollar +/- 100 bucks or so as far as value. You have a classic gun with modern usability.

The market for most A5s is EXTREMELY soft right now, so I would say at a minimum your gun is worth what it would be if it still had the fixed choke, if not a little more, and possibly a bit easier to sell. The screw chokes don't add equivalent value to what you spent to have them installed, but they might make the gun a little easier to sell if someone wants a gun they can actually use and not sit in a safe.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
My wild guess, probably around 700 dollar +/- 100 bucks or so as far as value. The market for most A5s is EXTREMELY soft right now.

You haven’t been looking on Gunbroker lately. A friend just paid $750 for a 1956 Light Twelve with a Poly Choke — and he was lucky to get it. A couple years ago that would have been a $500 gun.

I visited Art’s Gunshop. They showed me a couple of Auto-5’s that they paid over $1000 apiece for. They didn’t look like $1000 guns to me. But they’ve got to have something to work with. And they’ll sell for twice that after they work their magic.

Anyway, in the condition described, I’d guess $1000 give or take.