ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: loose stock on citori cxt
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

hi
i have a virtually brand new cxt that i have put 300 rounds through. today while shooting trap i noticed the stock is loose where it meets the block. is it normal for this to loosen? how do i tighten it up again?
there is a gap about 1/16” between the wood and the block.
thanks

Post subject: Re: loose stock on citori cxt
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:08 am 
Crown Grade

Not normal, and DONT SHOOT THE GUN AGAIN until you tighten it up.

So remove the recoil pad, which will allow you access to the through bolt. This bolt is responsible for pulling the stock and the receiver snugly together.

Anti Monkey Butt Powder, available at a store near you.......

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:53 am 
Limited Edition

Rooster is right on target, potential for stock damage is high if you continue to shoot with the loose stock.
Find the two small holes or dimples in the recoil pad, insert a Philips head screw driver after lubricating with Vaseline or something similar and remove the two screws holding the pad to the stock.
Once the pad is off you will see a hole in the stock, at the bottom is the stock bolt, it can be a straight slotted screw head or Allen head bolt(5mm head size) use the appropriate tool to tighten.
Note: if it is the slotted head design be VERY careful you get the tool in the slot, it is very easy to wedge it between the bolt and wood of the stock by accident, turning the tool at that point will result in a cracked stock!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:40 am 
Tournament Grade

thank you! i will check this out, hopefully its an allen head. no need for locktite?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:08 am 
Limited Edition

I don't locktite them, but if you do, use the blue not red. Note you will need a very long Allen wrench to reach the bolt should it have that type. If it has the slotted head there is a special tool that will prevent damaging the stock, you can accomplish the same thing by sliding a short piece of small rubber hose (3/8" ID?) over the screwdriver shank, hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:43 am 
Crown Grade

My 525 came with the allen head bolt, but was a bit confusing initially because Browning had installed a washer type disc to prevent the bolt from coming out and you really could not see what type of through bolt was installed. The big clue for me was the long allen wrench taped to the bottom of the form fitting foam in the factory box. Quite a "Duh" moment for sure. Check your box to find your "hidden" allen wrench.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

spoke to a tech at browning, he told me it was probably caused by the wood shrinking a bit. makes some sense. anyways all tightened up nice n snug. he assured me you cannot over-tighten the screw. no torque value for the screw, i asked. mine has the slotted screw head not allen head. if it loosens again i will use blue lock tight.
thanks for the help and advice gentlemen.
i love this gun! huge difference shooting trap with this vs the semi-auto i was using!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Glad you got it taken care of. Great gun, have fun!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

brokefootkenny wrote:
spoke to a tech at browning, he told me it was probably caused by the wood shrinking a bit.

Quote:
if it loosens again i will use blue lock tight.
......and, if the wood continues to shrink after you loktite the screw........what then?

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Anatidae wrote:
brokefootkenny wrote:
spoke to a tech at browning, he told me it was probably caused by the wood shrinking a bit.

Quote:
......and, if the wood continues to shrink after you loktite the screw........what then?

Gorilla tape. I doubt it was wood shrinkage in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

blue locktite will allow removal of a nut/bolt or screw. red usually requires heat to break free.
i use blue locktite on most nuts bolts on my harley with no removal issues and they hold tight. theres another color i forget which it is, but it really holds!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rooster booster wrote:
Anatidae wrote:
brokefootkenny wrote:

Quote:

Gorilla tape. I doubt it was wood shrinkage in the first place.

Agree 100%. They just didn't install the stock quite tight enough at the factory, and now some "tech" (who was probably hired last week) blames it on wood shrinkage.

Also, I'm dubious about the "can't overtighten the bolt" claim. I don't believe that either.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:31 am 
Diamond Grade

Also, I'm dubious about the "can't overtighten the bolt" claim. I don't believe that either.[/quote]

Agreed , there is a torque value for every nut , bolt and screw in that gun. Not that you have to go buy an inch lb/ NM driver , just a good “ snug “ will do. Someone on the line was texting his girlfriend when that gun came through.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

captjsjr wrote:

Quote:
Agreed , there is a torque value for every nut , bolt and screw in that gun. Not that you have to go buy an inch lb/ NM driver , just a good “ snug “ will do. Someone on the line was texting his girlfriend when that gun came through.
[/quote]

Yep. And to the OP, the torque for the stock bolt on a Browning Citori should be around 7 or 8 lb-ft of torque.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:58 am 
Tournament Grade

thanks, i will check the torque on mine, great info! interesting that the tech i spoke to said there was no torque value for that screw.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:08 am 
Limited Edition

brokefootkenny wrote:
thanks, i will check the torque on mine, great info! interesting that the tech i spoke to said there was no torque value for that screw.

Reminds me of a conversation with a Smith and Wesson "tech" regarding torque spec for the Allen bolt that attaches the Victory model barrel to frame, he could not provide a value either.
I agree with the statement that there IS a torque spec for every fastener and also believe the average customer support "tech" was hired yesterday straight off of their training session at Burger King.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 12:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

brokefootkenny wrote:

What’s more alarming is saying you can’t over-tighten it. I have the image of a hydraulic wood splitter.

And if the over-tightened bolt doesn’t actually crack the wood (suggested to still be shrinking), then the recoil from next shot you take, might.

God help us if we loose the ability to exercise some common sense.

It’s not a problem for the guy giving bad advice - it’s not his gun.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Anatidae wrote:
brokefootkenny wrote:

What’s more alarming is saying you can’t over-tighten it. I have the image of a hydraulic wood splitter.

And if the over-tightened bolt doesn’t actually crack the wood (suggested to still be shrinking), then the recoil from next shot you take, might.

God help us if we loose the ability to exercise some common sense.

It’s not a problem for the guy giving bad advice - it’s not his gun.

Sounds like the OP has plenty of common sense, and is on top of the issue.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Auto mechanics have a saying, tighten it until it snaps off then back it off a half turn. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pretty common for this to happen on a new gun. The wood is "fitted" to the receiver. The pounding of the recoil for the first few hundred shots tend to flatten the high spots and the stock becomes loose depending upon how good the original fit was. Tighten it up until it is good and snug and keep a watch on it for a while. I have never had to Locktite a stock bolt. My opinion is that you could get it too tight if you really tried. Tight as you can with a screwdriver would be okay. But as soon as you put a racket on it you could get in trouble.