ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Find your Browning manufacture date
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:12 am 
Field Grade

These were produced by Miroku BSS and low prices.

This Browning sidelock (BSL) LC2 Custom Shop engraving and terminated by Lebbeus-Courally upscale, with prices close to $ 22,500.00 is produced more recently.

I'm anxious to have news of his friend's Browning.

Thank you!
Luis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Luis:
I called Browning. Only Mr. Jensen can help and he's out of the office until Wednesday.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:20 am 
Field Grade

Rudolfh:

Thank you for your help.

I am very happy if Mr. Jensen has good news about this and can determine which year of production for this shotgun.

Luis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Luis:

I heard from Mr. Jensen this morning.

Your gun was sold on 31March2004 for $7400 (USD).

That's all the information he has.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:19 am 
Field Grade

Dear Rudolph

Many thanks for the information. I am at your disposal for what is within my reach.

I wish you a good and holy Easter.

Luis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:17 am 
Crown Grade

Buona Pasqua!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:25 am 
Field Grade

I would take it that a superposed number 31 is one of the first made , marked only as Fabrique Nationale I assume it was never intended for the US .

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

I'm new here and have a A5 16ga Belgium. Please bear with me here...
The serial number looks like it has FN with a circle around it and the number is 5 digit and starts with 36xxx.

I have a few questions:
1) I've searched and best I can tell is it's DOB is 1903-1939 does this sound correct?
2) Is this chambered in 2 1/2 ? I measured the ejection port and that's what I measured.
2 3/4 will not cycle through it.
3) Searched for friction ring adjustment, and found some that is not so clear. Is there a pdf or some other file out there that might have pictures and instructions of the rings? I found one on Browning site but it seems the pictures are not available.

Again sorry for maybe asking questions that may have been covered here.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Your gun was made in 1925. Chamber 2 9/16", you can buy expensive 2 1/2" shells or learn to make your own. Before I started reloading I bought some of these:

http://www.polywad.com/spredr-shells.html

Midwest Gun Works has a free Field Service Manual in .pdf that shows the correct ring setup.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgw ... ing-auto-5

Enjoy your Auto-5 and feel free to ask questions.

AND POST SOME PICTURES!

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgw ... to-5-parts

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:48 pm 
Field Grade

Rudolph31 wrote:
Your gun was made in 1925. Chamber 2 9/16", you can buy expensive 2 1/2" shells or learn to make your own. Before I started reloading I bought some of these:

http://www.polywad.com/spredr-shells.html

Midwest Gun Works has a free Field Service Manual in .pdf that shows the correct ring setup.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgw ... ing-auto-5

Enjoy your Auto-5 and feel free to ask questions.

AND POST SOME PICTURES!

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgw ... to-5-parts

Hey thanks for the info! I got this gun somewhere around '69-'70 from my brother-in-law who had taken it apart and it was in a box! I took it to the range for the first time Friday and it does need some work.

I took it slam to pieces to clean it when I got back (that was scarey).....should have done it before! :D

Again I do appreciate your info and setting the date on this thing!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:48 am 
Field Grade

I just picked up a very nice Auto 5 in twenty gauge. It is marked on the receiver as a Light Twenty. The serial number is marked as RN 161? The Browning link says the 161 should be a Magnum. I was hoping somebody could shed some light on these markings.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:36 am 
Crown Grade

It would seem that your 1979 gun is mis-marked. Production started in Japan just a few years earlier, maybe it took them a while to get their sh*t together.

The Light Twenty has the lightening cuts in the receiver. I've never handled a Magnum so I don't know if they do. I do know the Magnum has two Friction Pieces and three Friction Rings. And the Light has one of each, so that would answer the question for me.

If you start a new thread about this you'll get answers from a lot of experts, probably including Randy Wakeman.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:46 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the response Rudolph. Everything about the gun says light twenty, with the exception of the code. Guess it was just a mistake.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:07 am 
Tournament Grade

I see this is an old thread...started in 04. How many Brownings have been manufactured since this thread was started?

Great info here...thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:25 am 
Field Grade

Hello Rudolph31 et al, I have trouble founding the year of manufacturing and the gun production number for mine Browning ST-100. The rumor is that the number (100) stands for the gun plan and manufactured of this particular shotgun. The serial number is 144RPzero25xx.
I've seen ST-100 for sell with Serial Number different by one digit at the end either way. The interesting part is that 144 is always there. I found out that the "P" stands for "Presentation" (could be wrong though). Browning USA has no idea and clue about this Shotgun and they have redirected me to Belgium. BTW the gun is manufactured by FN Belgium for the European market from 1979-1980/1 in very limited editions. ST-80 only 80 shotguns, ST-100 only 100 and ST-150 only 150 shotguns manufactured. The ST-100 rumor is that has manufactured officially 100 ea for the market and additional 200 for Executives and gifts to Higher Officials with Midas Wood/Higher Gloss and Gold plated trigger and engravings. That is the kind I own. 30" barrels (not ported original), I.M. and F chokes with adjustable both barrels POI. Was the very first Shotgun with adjustable POI on both barrels on the market! Cost in 1979-80 was over $3000 new. If anyone has any info please share. Thank you
Best Regards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Hello Lubenator. I couldn't find much about your gun. I'd never heard of an ST-100, but now know that it means "Super Trap 100". I found an old Browning ad for it here:

http://uploads.trapshooters.com/uploads ... 030339.jpg

The 144 portion of the serial number is the Configuration Code. If it appears at the beginning, the gun was made by FN, at the end--Miruku.

RP is the Date Code and stands for 78, so your gun was manufactured in 1978. Date codes can be found here:

http://www.browning.com/customerservice ... .asp?id=32

And also here:

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/s ... acture.pdf

This latter has a list of configuration codes, but the Super Trap isn't there. Nor is it on the Browning website. I guess it's a variation of the Superposed, but there's not much info on the web. Why don't you post some pictures?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:42 pm 
Field Grade

Rudolph31 wrote:
Hello Lubenator. I couldn't find much about your gun. I'd never heard of an ST-100, but now know that it means "Super Trap 100". I found an old Browning ad for it here:

http://uploads.trapshooters.com/uploads ... 030339.jpg

The 144 portion of the serial number is the Configuration Code. If it appears at the beginning, the gun was made by FN, at the end--Miruku.

RP is the Date Code and stands for 78, so your gun was manufactured in 1978. Date codes can be found here:

http://www.browning.com/customerservice ... .asp?id=32

And also here:

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/s ... acture.pdf

This latter has a list of configuration codes, but the Super Trap isn't there. Nor is it on the Browning website. I guess it's a variation of the Superposed, but there's not much info on the web. Why don't you post some pictures?

Thank you very much for your time and effort! Much appreciated! I was guessing that could be 1978, but, the info I got that "P" stands for presentation was stopping me of believing. Also the luck of information on Browning website "Date your Gun" about ST-100 made me believe that the letters representing the years (in my case RP) could not apply to this fine shotgun! Thank you. Regarding pictures, I am not sure if my account has been updated/permitted of posting pictures. Don't see that option and I do not store my pictures in the cloud. If the Administrator permit my account for picture postings I'll post some of course...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Some special made guns do have special codes instead of the date code. BC for Browning Classic for example. But seeing the advertisement showing the ST-100 was a catalogued item convinces me that RP stands for 1978. The time frame fits.

To post pictures, open a free account at Photobucket.com, upload your pictures there, then copy and paste the IMG code here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:23 pm 
Field Grade

Last edited by Lubenator on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Beautiful gun. But to make your pictures show up here, sign in to your photobucket account, click on a picture, then click on the little chain. From the drop down menu click "IMG CODE" then paste it to your post. It's easier than it sounds!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next