ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Citori line
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:24 pm 
Field Grade

Can someone summarize or refer me to a summary fo the different Citori lines, ex. XS, Lightning, ect.

Last edited by mabella on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: Browningn Citori line
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:54 am 
Crown Grade

Go to www.browning.com for all the info. While there you can request a new catalog be shipped to you no charge. By the way, looking at your user name, would your first name be Mike and would you be from N/E Ohio ? Good luck perusing the Brownings. IMO they are a solid quality gun for the money.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:32 am 
Field Grade

My first name is Manny and I'm from South Florida

Last edited by mabella on Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Maybe I have not read the catalog enough but I really do not understand the differences between the various models.
Any one want to help me understand?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Historical timeline:
http://www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=202
In the beginning, there was the Browning Superposed. Introduced in 1928, it was considered the ultimate O/U design.

When Browning moved the production of their O/Us from Belgium to Japan, they simplified the manufacture of the Superposed, making slight changes to produce the Citori in 1973. The Superposed started to be phased out in 1977.

The Citori has been the basic platform for Browning O/Us from 1973 through 2004. The 325 (1993), 425 (1995) and 525 (2002) are just variations of the basic Citori, mostly with the latest features of the day for the various clay sports. Other target variations have been named "Ultra", "Plus", "Sporter", etc. The XT/XS series is also another variation of the same excellent, basic Citori action, again with features specific to certain clay games.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... value=008B

Lightnings used to be the lightweight part of the lineup, tailored to hunters. Oddly enough, the Lightnings are now among the heaviest of the Citori clan. Nowadays, the lightest of the Citoris are the alloy-framed Feathers and Superlight Feathers.

Browning also makes specific guns for retailers, such as Miller and Gander Mountain.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... _index.asp

The Cynergy was introduced in 2004 and is a novel approach to O/U shotgun design. A very different animal than the Citori, it is brand new from the ground up, with lots of nice features and lots of potential to be the best ever.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... value=014B

Post subject: Re: re: Browningn Citori line
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks, that helped a lot.
I really like the looks of the Cynergy Sporting Composite CF.
Guess I need to shoulder one and see how it fits me.

DrMike wrote:
Historical timeline:
http://www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=202
In the beginning, there was the Browning Superposed. Introduced in 1928, it was considered the ultimate O/U design.

When Browning moved the production of their O/Us from Belgium to Japan, they simplified the manufacture of the Superposed, making slight changes to produce the Citori in 1973. The Superposed started to be phased out in 1977.

The Citori has been the basic platform for Browning O/Us from 1973 through 2004. The 325 (1993), 425 (1995) and 525 (2002) are just variations of the basic Citori, mostly with the latest features of the day for the various clay sports. Other target variations have been named "Ultra", "Plus", "Sporter", etc. The XT/XS series is also another variation of the same excellent, basic Citori action, again with features specific to certain clay games.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... value=008B

Lightnings used to be the lightweight part of the lineup, tailored to hunters. Oddly enough, the Lightnings are now among the heaviest of the Citori clan. Nowadays, the lightest of the Citoris are the alloy-framed Feathers and Superlight Feathers.

Browning also makes specific guns for retailers, such as Miller and Gander Mountain.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... _index.asp

The Cynergy was introduced in 2004 and is a novel approach to O/U shotgun design. A very different animal than the Citori, it is brand new from the ground up, with lots of nice features and lots of potential to be the best ever.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... value=014B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:19 am 
Field Grade

What an excellent reply!
Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dr Mike, You are correct about the lightning weight. I bought a 12 ga white lighting with 28" barrels and the guys out at the skeet range think it is a boat anchor. As near as I can tell to be a field gun to handle 3" magnums it has very heavy barrels and has a balance point well forward of the hinge - espaecially when compared to a traditional 26" skeet gun. I am getting used to the weight issue and it does help soak up recoil and smooth out the swing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

<B>strut wrote: the guys out at the skeet range think it is a boat anchor. </B>

Really? They are only inthe 8lb range. Most competitive skeet shooters are using guns that weight significantly more - seeing guns that weight 11lbs on the skeet field isn't uncommon.

<B>Strut wrote: it has very heavy barrels and has a balance point well forward of the hinge - espaecially when compared to a traditional 26" skeet gun. </B>

I can't speak to the balance point - both of my Brownings balance just in front of the hinge... which doesn't surprise me, given how short the Browning receiver is.

The 26" skeet gun is a relic of the past... even the 28" skeet gun is becoming less common. From what I've seen, most shooters are using 30" barrels these days... and I'm even seeing a smattering of 32" barrels on the skeet fields.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

drsfmd, Hate to tell you this but at 66 I am one of the young guys at our club. Those old relics(guns that is- maybe shooters too) you mentioned still plug along and do a remarkable job of breakiing clays. Many of the shooters are using older 26" fixed choke SK/SK in my part of the world. Younger guys are using field guns since at this point in their lives they can't afford special purpose skeet guns and many field guns are 26" and 28". The balance and weight of a comfortable gun is very personal. I have a 26" and a 28" and actually prefer the 26". Can't help it I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Strut-

That's too bad. Has your club tried to encourage younger shooters? At my club, over the last few years, the average age has dropped into the late 30's or so. We don't see a lot of "hunter" types at our club, but we have a great bunch of folks who shoot everything from 1100's to Kreighoff's...

We bend over backwards to accomodate the needs to younger shooters, including shooting in the evenings under the lights, and ample weekend hours...

Post subject: Re: re: Browningn Citori line
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:09 pm 
Utility Grade

strut64 wrote:
drsfmd, Hate to tell you this but at 66 I am one of the young guys at our club. Those old relics(guns that is- maybe shooters too) you mentioned still plug along and do a remarkable job of breakiing clays. Many of the shooters are using older 26" fixed choke SK/SK in my part of the world. Younger guys are using field guns since at this point in their lives they can't afford special purpose skeet guns and many field guns are 26" and 28". The balance and weight of a comfortable gun is very personal. I have a 26" and a 28" and actually prefer the 26". Can't help it I guess.

I just ordered a Grade I Citori Lightning used, in about 98% condition! I have several other Brownings, as well as a 28 inch Citori White Lightning 3 1/2 inch gun that I use often... With 2 3/4 inch shells by the way! The new Citori I have ordered is a Blued Lightning, 3 Inch gun, with 26 inch barrels! I've always preferred them! I owned a Grade III Citori years ago, and I am sorry that I traded it! It had 26 inch barrels as well... I am glad to finally get another 26 Inch Citori. I shot the grade III at a Driven Pheasant Shoot 15 years ago. Someone told me that I needed a gun with at least 30 inch tubes, if I expected to kill any birds! I bagged more than he did... In fact... "I didn't miss that day!"

Post subject: Re: Browning Citori line
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It’s like selling soap. You’ve got to new and improve it every couple of years. In truth, not much changed from the late 80s until the 725 hit the market.

ETA: oh yeah, Cynergy, I forgot about that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This thread is from 2006!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Jaspo01 wrote:

I recently was wondering if there is a basic Citori with a blued steel receiver. Not lightweight or featherlight or silver nitride. Hadn’t gotten around to looking but this thread does illustrate the many options. Probably will just look for a used fixed choke Miroku anyway. No sense in paying more for the Browning name.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

EricB wrote:
Jaspo01 wrote:

I recently was wondering if there is a basic Citori with a blued steel receiver. Not lightweight or featherlight or silver nitride. Hadn’t gotten around to looking but this thread does illustrate the many options. Probably will just look for a used fixed choke Miroku anyway. No sense in paying more for the Browning name.

Look at the CXS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
EricB wrote:
Jaspo01 wrote:

Look at the CXS

Choke tubes. (BARF!). Beautiful guns though. It may be time to consider another addition. Although it hasn’t been a month since the last. Oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There seem to be a lot of listings of older fixed choke Citori’s on Gunbrokers.
I remember something about some of the early 70’s guns having V springs
that are virtually unobtainable now instead of coil springs. I would look for
a pre Invector early 80’s Citori myself. I believe
the very end of fixed choke models were Type 3’s
like now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Recently bought a CX. Shoots 60/40.
I understand the CXS (skeet) shoots 50/50...
and the CXT (Trap) shoots 70/30

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

EricB wrote:

Choke tubes. (BARF!). Beautiful guns though. It may be time to consider another addition. Although it hasn’t been a month since the last. Oh well.

What do you have against choke tubes?