ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Browning Citori line
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:18 am 
Diamond Grade

For my needs, they're pointless. I never change them, and they're something to get misplaced. The barrel is extremely fragile when the tubes are removed. I just prefer fixed chokes, even though I do have guns with tubes, they might as well be fixed. I've noticed some guns with chokes look flared at the muzzle, which is unattractive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here is one you might be interested in. Says never out of the box.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878451639

EricB wrote:

Choke tubes. (BARF!). Beautiful guns though. It may be time to consider another addition. Although it hasn’t been a month since the last. Oh well.

Kind of like how I feel about the porting on my CXT barrels.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:12 am 
Crown Grade

Jaspo01 wrote:
This thread is from 2006!!!

Come on man, it’s only 14 years old.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
Jaspo01 wrote:
This thread is from 2006!!!

Come on man, it’s only 14 years old.

Still relevant.

Post subject: Re: re: Browningn Citori line
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Never mind. Just noticed this is an ancient thread.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yep. The same guy who resurected the other one and calls himself Past Master dug up this one. He must have a thing about old Citori threads.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Glad I get to add to this old thread some more. Wandered in to a pawn shop today and since Citoris have been on my mind, I decided to ask if they had any. The guy brought out a barely pre invector Hunter 20ga. (‘83). Fantastic condition but- it looks like the stock was cut for a kid, then a block of plastic was used to lengthen it again. It was destined for the land of misfit toys so I took pity and brought it home.

Once this Covid is over I’ll have to go back to meetings of gunbuyers anonymous.

I’ll get pictures of the ugly duckling soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

EricB wrote:
Glad I get to add to this old thread some more. Wandered in to a pawn shop today and since Citoris have been on my mind, I decided to ask if they had any. The guy brought out a barely pre invector Hunter 20ga. (‘83). Fantastic condition but- it looks like the stock was cut for a kid, then a block of plastic was used to lengthen it again. It was destined for the land of misfit toys so I took pity and brought it home.

Once this Covid is over I’ll have to go back to meetings of gunbuyers anonymous.

I’ll get pictures of the ugly duckling soon.

That's great. Sounds like you got what you were looking for.

I was of course wrong about the early Citori's having V springs. Those were the previous
Mioroku made Charles Daly's that had those.
Here is the definition of Citori types I copied from Brownell's website.

Browning Citori Type definitions.
Current Browning factory nomenclature defines three types of Citori for parts identification purposes and there are actually four types to consider.

The first is the Citori made from 1973 through 1976. Browning no longer has many parts for this vintage of firearm, therefore this version is not included in current Browning parts lists. Examination of the reciever will reveal that there is no engraving on these models. This variation is often referred to as the coil spring Charles Daly.

The Type I - Slanted Receiver refers to the Citori made only in 1977. These firearms will contain the letter designation RR within the serial number. The stock inletting of the side panels where they butt to the receiver appears to slope backwards.

The Type II - Straight Receiver refers to the Citori built between 1978 and 1982. These firearms will contain one of the following letter designations: RP, RN, PM, PZ, or PY, within the serial number. This version resembles the original Superposed model in which the stock panels mate to the receiver.

The Type III - Radius Receiver/Long Tang Triggerguard refers to the Citori built from 1983 to the present. This model also has a close resemblance to the original Superposed where the stock panels and receiver mate. The bottom edge of the receiver and the corresponding area of the stock panel is radiused.

Type III - Radius Receiver / Short Tang Trigger Guard - All Field and Target models produced since August, 1994, as well as all Sporting Clays models have been manufactured using the short tang trigger guard.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:09 am 
Diamond Grade

mabella wrote:
Can someone summarize or refer me to a summary fo the different Citori lines, ex. XS, Lightning, ect.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:11 pm 
Field Grade

"The first is the Citori made from 1973 through 1976. Browning no longer has many parts for this vintage of firearm, therefore this version is not included in current Browning parts lists. Examination of the reciever will reveal that there is no engraving on these models. This variation is often referred to as the coil spring Charles Daly".

I had one of these which I ordered through my gun club and mine definitely had no engraving at all, just as plain as any Jane ever was. Didn't keep it long but not due to the plain metal. I traded it because the fore end was bulbous and the grip far too fat. Unlike my Miroku Charles Daly trap gun which has an excellent shaped fore end on the svelt side and a small diameter grip. I've had a number of Citoris over the years, but none as lumpy feeling as that first one.

I would not have bought that first one if I had the opportunity to handle it first. On the positive side, it was as perfect functioning as all my following Citoris, in the limited use I put it to.

I am in agreement with those who think the Citori is one of the very best value O/U shotguns you can buy considering quality for dollar spent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here’s the shooter and my attempt at posting pics.

https://ibb.co/BtbjKxV
https://ibb.co/pQqt5wt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

So much for posting pics.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good looking gun, Eric, even with the plastic spacer. I don't share your dislike of choke tubes, though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sorry that I didn't ask before I posted those, but I'm trying to grill some hamburgers at the same time. Posting pictures on this, and many other sites, can be difficult if you haven't done it often.

I don't know much, but I have been screwing around with computers since my first one....4 K Timex Sinclair, back about 1981 or so.

Hope I didn't offend you. If I did, I'll take them down. My apolgies.
rich

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks Richg99!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

lossking wrote:
Good looking gun, Eric, even with the plastic spacer. I don't share your dislike of choke tubes, though.

Thank you!
The tubes aren’t a deal breaker, I’ve got a bunch laying around to prove it! By the time the bird flushes though, I can’t swap ‘em fast enough to do any good!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

EricB wrote:
lossking wrote:

Thank you!
The tubes aren’t a deal breaker, I’ve got a bunch laying around to prove it! By the time the bird flushes though, I can’t swap ‘em fast enough to do any good!

:lol: Touché

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:08 am 
Diamond Grade

Litespeed wrote:

I am in agreement with those who think the Citori is one of the very best value O/U shotguns you can buy considering quality for dollar spent.

I’m with ya on that. Have a cxs and to my mind it doesn’t get much better for a sub $2k gun. Wish there were more stock options (finish, forend, etc) but I think the plain receiver is beautiful.