ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H&R-Make a high rib skeet/trap gun! Deluxe classic ques
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:17 am 
Tournament Grade

I really wish H&R would make a trap/skeet gun with a high vent rib & a full or X-full choke. But since they do not I have been looking at the Deluxe classic with the vent rib...ANyone have one & how do you like it? Anyone use it for trap or skeet? Can I get a extended X-full choke for this gun? Thanks

Post subject: re: H&R-Make a high rib skeet/trap gun! Deluxe classic
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:26 pm 
Field Grade

These guns come with screw in chokes you can get full and extra full for these guns . These guns are very durable you can spend thousands on trap guns but the expensive guns will not be any better than this old yankee product.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:32 am 
Diamond Grade

Recently found a NIB Wild Turkey Fed raffle gun at a little Mom & Pop gun shop. It's a 12 ga Topper Deluxe Classic. Guy won it and immediately sold it; I got it. It has the laminated stock and forend, brushed silver receiver, a 30" barrel with a vent rib, a red fiber optic front bead, and a Winchoke modified choke tube. I paid $200 for it. The stock isn't a great fit for trap but I added a slip-on adjustable neoprene pad and have shot several rounds with it. It works!!!!!!! I called the company to find out what I could about the model but they didn't have any info on a special order gun like this one. Maybe the Wild Turkey guys could help. Mine is NOT for sale!!!! the Mailman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am lost! Does H & R make a Deluxe Classic, with a vent rib, on their single shot, shot gun frame? Or are you talking one of their imports here? I don't see anything on their site.

One of their high comb rifle stocks with the shotgun barrel would come pretty close to a trap type gun. However, I have never seen one of these SS guns having a vent rib.

I do have a young friend, that a few months ago, purchased the longest barreled 12 gage they have, full choke, for shooting some specialty, black powder trap matches. He has been practicing with it with standard modern loads and has gotten very good with it.

He is now using it in Annie Oakley type matches and taking money regularly from older, more experienced and some high dollar guns being used by other participants!

He simply taped about 5 pounds of lead under the barrel with black electricians tape, and added weight to the but stock. Maybe raised the comb a bit, will have to check.

I have done the same thing with a couple of older single shot hammer guns, one the old Win. 37, made in Canada. But they both tend to misfire too often! It is really fun to take one of these out and knock the socks off of guys shooting high dollar guns! If it just wasn't for those occasional failure to fires. The firing pin just doesn't seem to be hitting the primer hard enough. Try again and it almost always goes off.

But a ribbed H & R would be a perfect starting place. (Do have one in 10 gage, legal for the black powder trap, but not for modern! And it needs nothing, weight wise or comb raising to make a fair trap gun out of it!)

Clyde

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Wild Turkey raffle gun I found was a special order thru NAWTF (?). The actual serial # on my gun is "JAKE 07XXXX". By calling H&R you'll probably get nowhere --- I did and they acted like I was making it up. In all fairness I only got as far as some skirt receptionist. Just today at my skeet club a guy said he'd actually won the same gun I have at a WTF dinner and shot 3 birds with it right out of the box this past spring. He's equally impressed. I live in upstate NY and guess all the local Gobbler clubs raffled one of these off this past year. If you can find one thru the Turkey guys grab it!! It's a neat piece. the Mailman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:18 am 
Utility Grade

Jugchoke. Yes H and R do make a trap gun with a rib. It is their Topper Deluxe Classic. This gun is great for the money. It is on their web site. Dennis.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:20 am 
Utility Grade

Jugchoke. Yes H and R do make a trap gun with a rib. It is their Topper Deluxe Classic. This gun is great for the money. It is on their web site. Dennis.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi Mailman!! How'd you shoot this AM?!

Figured I'd jump on here after I'd heard you were having a discussion about OUR guns!!

Being an H&R enthusiast and a President of a Local Chapter of the NWTF....I know a little about these guns. The TDC that H&R made for this year is a special run of the Topper Deluxe Classic. It sports the Cinnamon laminate Monte Carlo stock that H&R puts on their line of "Ultra Hunter" and "Ultra Varmint" lines of rifles. Of course the NWTF gun has the laser engraved insignia, and this stock set does not normally come on a TDC. This special run of TDC's sport the normal high rib on a 30" barrel. It is the JAKES Gun of the Year and is labeled as a youth trap gun, although the butt stock is normal length and is not a shorter version as most of their youth models are. The run is only 2,500 pieces and only available at Hunting Heritage Banquets held by local NWTF Chapters. The one that mailman bought must have been won and sold to a local gun shop.

Now, H&R sells the Topper Deluxe Classic but only in a 28" barrel for the 12 gauge. It's the first gun on the linked page.

Oh, and they throw great patterns with turkey chokes.....just ask this guy (the one with the feathers.....)

Last edited by j. plate on Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:29 am 
Diamond Grade

That's the gun I'm talking about!!!! Thanks for posting the pics, Jason. If it's nice this Thurs. these two "jakes" might go head-to-head on the trap field.....I put out the challenge!!!! the Mailman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:06 am 
Tournament Grade

I can't shoot trap.... i can hardly shoot skeet!! ;)

I'll see what I can do about making it Thursday night. That would be a good time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

I think I've got my TCD "Jake" hooked up as a trap gun. Put a limbsaver over the existing pad. Got the extra LOP and can now get down on the stock far enough that I'm not looking up the ramp on the vent rib. Put a custom cut piece of Dr. Scholl's moleskin on right where my cheek bone rests. Filled the access hole in the stock with three 12 ga. hulls filled with shot & crimped. Packed them in with some cloth to eliminate rattling. Thurs. nite with the new pads and extra weight the recoil was a fraction of the stock gun and I broke 45 out of 50 and never flinched! I've only had one round of skeet over 22 in my life so the 23/22 makes me smile. Too bad "J" didn't show with his Jake he might have learned something !?!?!?

the Mailman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:36 am 
Tournament Grade

Hey mailman....

Between the weather and the wife, I just couldn't make it out!!

I did get the chance to shoot trap with it yesterday.....and I almost got you. Shot a 19 and a 22. Not my best trap scores, but I agree..... this gun may need a recoil pad.

Oh, and btw.....kill something other than clays with it, and then we'll talk about who's learning what. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:01 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a handi rifle and am thinking about ordering a 28" 20 ga. ventilated rib barrel for it. Other than looks, how would it be different than the TDC? Thought my wife could use it for a trap gun. Anybody else doing this?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:11 am 
Diamond Grade

For the barrel price you could almost justify springing for a new gun. Recoil could be an issue, the the stuff I did really helped, for not a lot of $'s. See my post above. the Mailman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

It really depends on your rifle. The TDC doesn't normally come with a monte carlo stock. If you're rifle has one, you may want to look down one before you buy one.

Buying the barrel is $81 + the $15 barrel fitting fee + $10 shipping + whatever it costs you to ship it to H&R. You can pick up a brand new TDC 20ga. for about $150-160 if the Wal Mart near you still sells guns.... if not, look at your local shop....they won't be much more than that.

Also, check with H&R before you send your frame in. Not all SB2 framed Handi recievers will take shotgun barrels. They will be able to tell you by your serial number.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:11 am 
Tournament Grade

Hey mailman!!

If the rain doesn't last that long this PM, are you gonna be out there tonight? I added some weight as you described and I might venture out to shoot a couple rounds to see if it makes a difference........

Post subject: Re: re: H&R-Make a high rib skeet/trap gun! Deluxe clas
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:08 am 
Utility Grade

j. plate wrote:
Hi Mailman!! How'd you shoot this AM?!

Figured I'd jump on here after I'd heard you were having a discussion about OUR guns!!

Being an H&R enthusiast and a President of a Local Chapter of the NWTF....I know a little about these guns. The TDC that H&R made for this year is a special run of the Topper Deluxe Classic. It sports the Cinnamon laminate Monte Carlo stock that H&R puts on their line of "Ultra Hunter" and "Ultra Varmint" lines of rifles. Of course the NWTF gun has the laser engraved insignia, and this stock set does not normally come on a TDC. This special run of TDC's sport the normal high rib on a 30" barrel. It is the JAKES Gun of the Year and is labeled as a youth trap gun, although the butt stock is normal length and is not a shorter version as most of their youth models are. The run is only 2,500 pieces and only available at Hunting Heritage Banquets held by local NWTF Chapters. The one that mailman bought must have been won and sold to a local gun shop.

Now, H&R sells the Topper Deluxe Classic but only in a 28" barrel for the 12 gauge. It's the first gun on the linked page.

Oh, and they throw great patterns with turkey chokes.....just ask this guy (the one with the feathers.....)

What is this special gun worth? I found one at a shop new in box? Same as pics.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just in case someone else is wondering the same thing. . .

These guns were special run, but don't think that that makes them anymore expensive than the regular models. It has been my experience that the NWTF models or DU or whatever. . . actually tend to sell for the same (or less!!) than the regular model.

I believe that the TDC brand new is around $180. Add the 30" barrel and the cinnamon lam, monte carlo stocks and you might be looking at around $200. . . .but I don't think it's going to be much more than that. . .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:34 am 
Utility Grade

H&R has a trap model topper on their website.Don't know what the availability is. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:23 am 
Utility Grade

Ihave one of the Trap Guns on order! It will be here next week! :D