ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How can Remington survive?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:43 am 
Utility Grade

A further note on G. I. Sportz and Richmond Italia: according to this, it appears his current role in the paintball company is that of being part of the new ownership group.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 58952.html

I wouldn't assume his finances aren't solid.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:44 am 
Crown Grade

McFarmer wrote:
So I guess I can dismiss the hope that there are stacks of unassembled high grade 1100s and 870s that will get finished and sell for pennies on the dollar.

Ummmmmm...yeah.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:55 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Rooster booster wrote:
Maybe ‘how could Remington be resurrected?’

It isn't going to happen. What everyone has heard is hot air.

https://www.atf.gov/file/109676/download

The "average processing of perfected paper applications" is at 3 months for ATF form 1. The claim that there could be manufacturing in Ilion in a matter of weeks made by the shell company Roundhill is either stupid or a lie: you can take your pick on that one.

You have a ghost plant with rusting equipment that will keep on rusting until April / May 2021 at the least, if they had enough money to start things, if they had any employees or talent, or had a clue how to make a firearm. Lead times for raw materials are now a matter of several months. Raw materials aren't on order and why should they be?

Ruger, who has money, expertise, 1700 employees, and several manufacturing plants has said "We anticipate closing on this purchase in the fourth quarter of 2020, and then we will focus on getting the Marlin lines up and running in our existing Ruger facilities. We look forward to reintroducing shooters to Marlin rifles in the second half of 2021."

It is 9 months for Ruger, but for fake company Roundhill . . . there is no plan and no hope.

Do read for context? As in the entire context of the thread?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:51 pm 
Field Grade

McFarmer wrote:
So I guess I can dismiss the hope that there are stacks of unassembled high grade 1100s and 870s that will get finished and sell for pennies on the dollar.

Custom Shop hasn't built a High Grade shotgun probably since 2011

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:24 pm 
Crown Grade

greekspec2 wrote:
McFarmer wrote:

As far as you know......is there anyone working at all in Sturgis?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:59 am 
Field Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
greekspec2 wrote:
McFarmer wrote:

there is 2-4 people still in Sturgis finishing up some stuff but there closed and most of the 30 employees moved on

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:45 am 
Crown Grade

This is just purely my own thoughts and opinion, but if at least a status report from Roundhill Group isn`t forthcoming sometime by or before the end of the first calendar quarter of `21, then Randy`s opinion (or statement of fact, depending on the veracity of his contacts in the gun world ) that Roundhill is nothing but a shell and that we`ve seen the last gun produced with " Remington " stamped on it will be borne out. It`s hard to imagine, in the current climate (business and political ) that another major firearms manufacturer will go to Vista for the right to use the brand name. With expiration of patents on the 870 and 1100, they wouldn`t need to do that. Companies rarely run on sentimentality.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:33 am 
Crown Grade

greekspec2 wrote:
Rooster booster wrote:
greekspec2 wrote:
McFarmer wrote:

there is 2-4 people still in Sturgis finishing up some stuff but there closed and most of the 30 employees moved on

Just sad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:03 am 
Field Grade

the sad part is my 700 F grade sat in there gun safe for almost a year without them touching it, was there for a re-barrel and re-stock.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Sad it is indeed, and we may all rest in the assurance that the boys at Cerberus and the executives at the banking firms that assumed ownership ( for a while anyway ) did not and have not lost one, single, second of sleep as they presided over the demise of an iconic American institution. It was, after all, "just business".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:21 pm 
Crown Grade

greekspec2 wrote:
the sad part is my 700 F grade sat in there gun safe for almost a year without them touching it, was there for a re-barrel and re-stock.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you at least got it back?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Sad it is indeed, and we may all rest in the assurance that the boys at Cerberus and the executives at the banking firms that assumed ownership ( for a while anyway ) did not and have not lost one, single, second of sleep as they presided over the demise of an iconic American institution. It was, after all, "just business".

Agree on all counts.

I am now 68 and got into shooting in the late 1960's. It seem if you live long enough, you will see most familiar gun companies from your youth either go away or change beyond recognition.

I even look back to 19th century history and while companies like Sharps, while famous and iconic, had a short run of a few decades.

In the 1970's, it seemed to me that Remington would be a "constant" presence.

Even as late as 1995, when my wife and I attended the Remington Shooting School (clays shooting) in Ilion, hosted at the Ilion Fish and Game Club, complete with a comprehensive plant tour, they seemed so established. People were great, so was the club & school.

The Custom Shop was still at the Ilion plant in those days and it was a highlight of the tour to watch them work and talk to some of the people, there.

I have a background in mechanical engineering and did marvel at how they had to schedule production through that big, rambling old multi story plant.

I did not see the start of the decline at the time, but I guess it was begining.

I couldn't guess if the operation will start up again, for the many reasons covered previously in this thread.

I feel bad for the employees and the town that depended on the economic contribution; I would love to see it start up and produce quality products, but I am far from sure it will, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 pm 
Field Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
greekspec2 wrote:

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you at least got it back?

yes I got it back.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It’s gone! Dust! Never to return. Just like Winchester.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:57 am 
Crown Grade

With Remington’s passing, I suppose the American firearms industry, well, at least shotguns , is essentially no more? The Turks and Italians essentially own it , almost exclusively from here on out. I guess Ithaca is pretty much it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mossberg....

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:06 am 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
Mossberg....

I thought about Mossberg but for some reason thought some of their branded guns were Turkish in origin. I`m happy to be wrong if that`s not the case.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Tidefanatic wrote:
I suppose the American firearms industry, well, at least shotguns , is essentially no more?

You just insulted Kolar, Savage, Mossberg, Connecticut Mfg., Beretta USA, Ithaca, Henry, S & W -T/C, and several others who are not "no more."

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:03 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
I suppose the American firearms industry, well, at least shotguns , is essentially no more?

You just insulted Kolar, Savage, Mossberg, Connecticut Mfg., Beretta USA, Ithaca, Henry, S & W -T/C, and several others who are not "no more."

Great! Good to know. I think I did acknowledge Ithaca. I guess I need to do more homework! I thought Beretta built their guns in Italy, like Fabarm. Also, I thought Mossberg was using Turkish made parts. Learn something everyday, and I`m sorry if I "insulted" anybody!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:08 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Beretta manufactures in Gallatin, Tennessee and Turkey and Spain and Italy.

http://randywakeman.com/