ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194  Next
 Post subject: Re: Versa Max
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:54 pm 
Field Grade

BajaJames wrote:
I also get an occasional hangup now with the welded lifter I think I may have the deubrr the side of the chamber where the bolt/ extractor make contact with the barrel.
Anyone had to do that?

Re extractor and barrel contact area: Yes. I noticed the surfaces on both are not well finished. I polished those areas which seemed to improve functionality.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Fragmetize wrote:
Tujays found a fix for the loose forearm issue. Just stand the gun on a solid surface, grasp the forearm and press down into the stock (like if you were pumping a pump gun) and you will be able to screw the en cap one or two more clicks.

No more loose forearm. Works like a charm

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:53 am 
Utility Grade

So finally got The cut down 19" Barrels back from Cerakote and out to the range both fired great. With the 3+ Extension they hold 7+1 and make for a handy gun.
Ill put up some pictures later. I still shoot the 28" barrel the most as it get about 100-200 a week at trap and 5 stand.
Also if anyone is interested I will be selling the 2nd 19" shortly.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:27 pm 
Utility Grade

28"
26"
19"
The 19 fits perfectly with the 3 shot extension.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:56 am 
Field Grade

General info:
After hunting opening day this Saturday, I have a report on the mods I've done.

The PLUS 25% action spring worked perfectly.

The bolt locks up easier since I polished the ejector and contact area on the barrel ... and changed action spring.

Polishing I did on bolt cam and contact surfaces in/on the bolt seemed to help smooth things out some.

The new bolt handle Remington sent me did not fly out.

The forearm is nice and tight after adding the rubber bumpers.

My thumb did not get "bit" while loading the magazine after installing the improved shell carrier...the one Remington puts on their tactical and Waterfowl pro versions. Interesting note: I had a very difficult time making the Remington customer service rep understand what the shell carrier was. She just didn't get it, and expressed her frustration toward me. I had to go onto their sight and give her the part number. She then referred me to Midwest Gunworks to order it. ... which I did.

If anyone chooses to replace their carrier with part F409144, you may want to do some polishing before installation. There's a really sharp edge that, in my opinion, needs to be rounded and polished, and a contact area that need to be flattened and smoothed. ... and some general smoothing out all around.

Another interesting note: The carrier was $54 from Midwest, and $84 from Brownell.

The gun functioned perfectly on the hunt. Shot 3" steel. All good. Shot a mixed bag of Teal, Grey's, and Greater Scaup.

Oh! Did I mention I bought another Versamax? ...sportsman model. The guy I bought it from won it at a DU dinner 3 years ago. He's a Browning and Bennelli snob ... so I offered him $350. done deal. I did the same mods to that shotgun and will use it this week.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:26 pm 
Utility Grade

gvanek wrote:
General info:
After hunting opening day this Saturday, I have a report on the mods I've done.

The PLUS 25% action spring worked perfectly.

The bolt locks up easier since I polished the ejector and contact area on the barrel ... and changed action spring.

Polishing I did on bolt cam and contact surfaces in/on the bolt seemed to help smooth things out some.

The new bolt handle Remington sent me did not fly out.

The forearm is nice and tight after adding the rubber bumpers.

My thumb did not get "bit" while loading the magazine after installing the improved shell carrier...the one Remington puts on their tactical and Waterfowl pro versions. Interesting note: I had a very difficult time making the Remington customer service rep understand what the shell carrier was. She just didn't get it, and expressed her frustration toward me. I had to go onto their sight and give her the part number. She then referred me to Midwest Gunworks to order it. ... which I did.

If anyone chooses to replace their carrier with part F409144, you may want to do some polishing before installation. There's a really sharp edge that, in my opinion, needs to be rounded and polished, and a contact area that need to be flattened and smoothed. ... and some general smoothing out all around.

Another interesting note: The carrier was $54 from Midwest, and $84 from Brownell.

The gun functioned perfectly on the hunt. Shot 3" steel. All good. Shot a mixed bag of Teal, Grey's, and Greater Scaup.

Oh! Did I mention I bought another Versamax? ...sportsman model. The guy I bought it from won it at a DU dinner 3 years ago. He's a Browning and Bennelli snob ... so I offered him $350. done deal. I did the same mods to that shotgun and will use it this week.

thats an awesome pickup.
Im still putting 100-200 a week through my Versamax this thing has grown on me big time.

Also If anyone is interested I have a cut down 19" barrel I am looking to sell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:05 pm 
Field Grade

Soooo...I hunted with the “new” sportsman mentioned above last week. Everything worked fine...Black Cloud 3” No. 2’s. Pull trigger, ducks fall. ( oK...not everytime, but...)

I couldn’t unload the magazine at the end of the hunt. The last shell just would not release. I finally had to chamber a shell and fire it to get the last shell out of the magazine.

I contacted Remington and spoke to Sarah, an extremely helpful young lady. She is sending me a new magazine spring and shell latch. Hopefully this will resolve this issue.

Will advise.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello. My first and possibly only post in this forum because I know Jack about shotguns. I researched for a spring turkey hunt in 20 and found this thread.seemed funny I read the whole thing to find the OP had died. Talk about looking someone is spent better than a week getting to know.....

I bought a Versa max after lots of research and being a writer I have many different manufacturer discount programs available. Bought from grabagun, no shame in that and I'm mounting a red dot on it with a mount from mesa tactical. I know in the shotgun community I'm a heathen, but I didn't have a turkey gun and now I happily do. Thank you one and all for your posts in this thread you've helped me a lot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Welcome aboard!

I think you'll find that the versa max is a nice soft shooting platform for those heavy turkey loads [WINKING FACE]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:17 am 
Field Grade

Baja, do you still have the 19" barrel? PM me if you do. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What’s the latest thinking of the use of 2 3/4” “short magnums” in the Versa Max? I was given a box of 1 3/8 oz #5s (Fiocchi) at 1405 FPS. I was wondering if these would be too much for the gas system

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:12 pm 
Crown Grade

I understand where your question is coming from and really don't know. However, a quick call or chat with Remington on their website should give you a definitive answer. I am curious what they answer if you pose them the question.

I am going to speculate that they say it is fine but that is just a guess.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:41 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

casonet wrote:
What’s the latest thinking of the use of 2 3/4” “short magnums” in the Versa Max? I was given a box of 1 3/8 oz #5s (Fiocchi) at 1405 FPS. I was wondering if these would be too much for the gas system

If I had any left, I'd sure give them to you as well. Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 12GPX5, 12 Gauge, 2-3/4", 1-3/8 oz, 1485 fps, #5 Nickel-Plated Lead Shot is what I'm referring to and they are a truly lousy load, out of anything. The 12GP5, 12 Gauge, 2-3/4", 1-3/8 oz, 1250 fps patterns far better.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:33 pm 
Field Grade

gvanek wrote:
Soooo...I hunted with the “new” sportsman mentioned above last week. Everything worked fine...Black Cloud 3” No. 2’s. Pull trigger, ducks fall. ( oK...not everytime, but...)

I couldn’t unload the magazine at the end of the hunt. The last shell just would not release. I finally had to chamber a shell and fire it to get the last shell out of the magazine.

I contacted Remington and spoke to Sarah, an extremely helpful young lady. She is sending me a new magazine spring and shell latch. Hopefully this will resolve this issue.

Will advise.

I installed the new, longer, magazine spring. It’s noticeably stiffer when loading shells.

Everything worked well.

Problem solved.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Contacted Remmy today about my 7 year old Turkey edition. The screws stripped out of the scope base the other day when patterning. They didn't miss a beat. Sent me a warranty claim and shipping pickup free from UPS. Can't wait to see what they say.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Remington shotguns and Ponsness Warren presses.....proof that God loves us.

- - - - - - - - - -
1100 Lt-20
11-87 20ga.
870 Wingmater 28 ga.
Sportsman 58 16 ga.
Versa Max Sportsman
Versa Max Sportsman Turkey
700 7mm-Express

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Did you ever hear back from rem?

I cant wait for things to open back up so I get keep putting some lead down range.
About to start loading some or my own going to see how light this versamax will still go and reliably cycle. got some 2-1/2" shells from a buddy might make some #4 or #1 buck loads for those see if it will still run the ol Vmax!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 pm 
Field Grade

New Versamax owner here.. First auto loader and first Remington. Gonna be used for duck hunting... Sportsman 12 gauge, 28" barrel, camo.

1- Where do y'all get the slings "bolt right up" to these guns?
2- I've heard of issues of the bolt handle falling off.. Do I need to get one for backup?
3- Will the plug that this gun comes with be legal for waterfowl use with all size shells? Heard of people making their own because the stock plug is only legal with 3 1/2" shells.

Thanks guys!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:05 am 
Crown Grade

tkrysl wrote:
Contacted Remmy today about my 7 year old Turkey edition. The screws stripped out of the scope base the other day when patterning. They didn't miss a beat. Sent me a warranty claim and shipping pickup free from UPS. Can't wait to see what they say.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Not surprised. Some of the best customer service going.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:49 am 
Limited Edition

dk2429 wrote:
New Versamax owner here.. First auto loader and first Remington. Gonna be used for duck hunting... Sportsman 12 gauge, 28" barrel, camo.

1- Where do y'all get the slings "bolt right up" to these guns?
2- I've heard of issues of the bolt handle falling off.. Do I need to get one for backup?
3- Will the plug that this gun comes with be legal for waterfowl use with all size shells? Heard of people making their own because the stock plug is only legal with 3 1/2" shells.

Thanks guys!!

1. I have the waterfowl pro and it came with sling mount hole molded in the stock and a sling swivel cap. If yours doesn't have the cap I'm sure you could buy it.
2. I've heard of it but never a problem.
3. Take 2 3inchers and stuff them in there. I don't think you'll get another in after it. Not sure on 2 3/4".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:28 am 
Utility Grade

My plug is fine with 2 3/4, I just barely can't get the third one in.

As for the bolt handle, I have heard of the problem, but not for a while. I assume rem have fixed it. I have never had the bolt handle come out

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194  Next