ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195  Next
 Post subject: Re: Versa Max
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:47 am 
Field Grade

Fragmetize wrote:
My plug is fine with 2 3/4, I just barely can't get the third one in.

As for the bolt handle, I have heard of the problem, but not for a while. I assume rem have fixed it. I have never had the bolt handle come out

Cool thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

gvanek wrote:
gvanek wrote:
Soooo...I hunted with the “new” sportsman mentioned above last week. Everything worked fine...Black Cloud 3” No. 2’s. Pull trigger, ducks fall. ( oK...not everytime, but...)

I couldn’t unload the magazine at the end of the hunt. The last shell just would not release. I finally had to chamber a shell and fire it to get the last shell out of the magazine.

I contacted Remington and spoke to Sarah, an extremely helpful young lady. She is sending me a new magazine spring and shell latch. Hopefully this will resolve this issue.

Will advise.

I installed the new, longer, magazine spring. It’s noticeably stiffer when loading shells.

Everything worked well.

Problem solved.

I had the problem of cartridges not feeding properly on the new (to me) LH model. Gunsmith ended up replacing the original magazine spring with one for a 1100 which is purportedly longer and stronger than the VM one. Looks like it took care of the feeding issue as I really like the way she feels, points and shoots but being a single shot wasn't working.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:36 am 
Field Grade

Gun finally came in! (If I could figure out how to upload pics I would, keeps saying file too large)

Haven't shot it yet but did test out the plug issue I mentioned.. no problem here. 2 3/4 and 3" shells were legal, and I'm sure 3 1/2 will be too

I knew my friends were idiots :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:10 pm 
Utility Grade

can some tell me if this versamax waterfoul was produced past 2014? RT93255A?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:26 am 
Tournament Grade

I know I’m a little late to the party. Seeing as how Remington is out of business. I happened across a new Versa Max Sportsman while killing time in Gander the other day, a thought it may be my last opportunity to get a new VM. I pulled the trigger lol. I have to say, I’m very pleased I did! I took it on the last weekend hunt of Duck season and the very first time I pulled the trigger on a duck, I dropped a female woody.

I hadn’t even patterned the gun before taking it on the hunt. I had only put about 10 rounds of 3” and 3.5” duck loads through it to get a feel for the recoil. I must say, I’ve never fired a softer shooting shotgun. A buddy of mine has an A400 Extreme plus. It’s a nice gun, but the recoil from it didn’t feel as soft to me as my VM Sportsman. I had to photo document the first bagged duck with my Sportsman. The season was pretty rough in my neck of the woods this year, but I ended up with 6 that weekend.

Once the season was over, I dropped it off at my lgs to get it cerakoted and dipped. We hunt in some very wet conditions in my area, and I felt that I needed to take measures to give it some corrosion protection. I haven’t fired enough rounds through it to give a complete opinion, but I do plan on doing a sxs comparison between it, the A400 Extreme Plus, and a SX4.

So far the only negative I have to say about it is the bolt release is way too small for a dedicated waterfowl gun. Remington should have installed a larger one when they designed it. No biggie though, it just cost me an extra $40 to get a paddle installed at my lgs. I’m not sure if anyone even reads this thread anymore, but I’ll post pictures of it once I get it back from my lgs, and give my opinion of it once I’ve put more rounds down range. Sorry the photo is sideways. I don’t know how to rotate it. Lol

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Well done! Keep shooting that VM. I predict it will be serve you well for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Krimmie! I’m what you’d call technologically illiterate. I did read all 194 pages of this thread btw. After I purchased the Versa Max though. I was actually looking at the V3 and fondling one of them in the store when I looked up and saw the Versa Max Sportsman. My thinking was that I already have a great 3” auto loader in my A300 Outlander. I decided on the Versa Max instead, seeing as how I wanted a dedicated waterfowl shotgun.

Oyeme, I hope it does. I am a bit concerned about the availability of parts for it should something break. I was relieved to read that many of the parts in the bolt, trigger group, and recoil spring are interchangeable with some benelli models. However other parts, such as the barrel, pistons, and the extractor may be a bit harder to come by. I just have to hope none of those give me any trouble. Maybe the Remington factory will open back up and start production this year. I know there’s a lot of skepticism, but I am hopeful. I’d still like to own a V3 some day as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:35 pm 
Crown Grade

SHughes said: "I hope it does. I am a bit concerned about the availability of parts for it should something break."

If as most VM owners, you are using it as a hunting gun and not something you shoot volumes of shells through on targets; I think your concerns are minimized. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
SHughes said: "I hope it does. I am a bit concerned about the availability of parts for it should something break."

If as most VM owners, you are using it as a hunting gun and not something you shoot volumes of shells through on targets; I think your concerns are minimized. Good luck!

I love pulling the trigger on my shotguns. I will likely put a lot of rounds through it this year busting clays, crows, Turkey, and doves as well. I plan on shortening the lop on my A300 for my oldest daughter to use, so it’ll have to be my everything gun. Lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:45 pm 
Field Grade

SHughes wrote:
I love pulling the trigger on my shotguns. I will likely put a lot of rounds through it this year busting clays, crows, Turkey, and doves as well. I plan on shortening the lop on my A300 for my oldest daughter to use, so it’ll have to be my everything gun. Lol

Hey, it was made to be shot!

I guess the main caution I've picked up, if you're going to shoot one a lot, is to avoid high pressure 2 3/4" loads, as they undermine the Versaport design. For waterfowl, turkey, slugs, or buckshot (anything loaded for high velocity), I'd go straight to 3" or 3 1/2".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

F*W*F wrote:
SHughes wrote:

Hey, it was made to be shot!

I guess the main caution I've picked up, if you're going to shoot one a lot, is to avoid high pressure 2 3/4" loads, as they undermine the Versaport design. For waterfowl, turkey, slugs, or buckshot (anything loaded for high velocity), I'd go straight to 3" or 3 1/2".

I gathered that from reading this thread as well. I’ve learned a lot about my sportsman from the 194 pages of this thread. It’s better than any review, or video of someone busting 3 or 4 clays with a gun and saying what they do and don’t like about it. Actual information from men who’ve fired thousands of rounds from it.

I wouldn’t use a shotgun for coyote, or deer, and I am not a 3 gun guy. I’d never shoot buckshot or slugs through a gun I personally own. I’d like to go pheasant hunting some day, but I’d likely use 3 inch shells if I hunted them with the VM. I’d probably use the A300 to do that anyway though, seeing as how it’s lighter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:03 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

F*W*F wrote:

Pressure has nothing to do with it, for some 1 oz. target loads are as high of a "pressure" as anything else. It is the heavy payload (1-1/2 oz., a.k.a. 'Baby Magnum) in a 2-3/4 inch unfolded length shell that produces excessive bolt speed.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mr. Wakeman, I have watched the video of your pheasant hunt with the V3 waterfowl pro. What shells were you running through it? You dropped birds at a pretty good distance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:28 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Remington Nitro Pheasant 1400 fps 1-1/4 oz. #5 lead.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:

Would the VM have any trouble cycling those rounds?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:34 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

SHughes wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

No, not at all.

The Versa Max does well in a hurricane with 1 oz. loads as well. Go to 1:21 on the timeline.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
SHughes wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

No, not at all.

The Versa Max does well in a hurricane with 1 oz. loads as well. Go to 1:21 on the timeline.

I am a big fan of the Versa port gas system. I had actually hoped to purchase a V3 waterfowl pro. I waited too long I guess. I doubt I’ll ever get the opportunity to purchase one, but I’ve pretty much set my versa Max sportsman up as a waterfowl pro. It’s being cerakoted and dipped, and I’m having a bolt release pad installed while it’s at my lgs. I’ve also got a Briley oversized charging handle for it. The only things it’s missing the V3 WP has is the widened loading port, and the high vis site. Neither of those really matter much to me. I loaded my sportsman just fine with gloves on, and I hit well with the beaded barrel. I honestly don’t pay attention to the bead when I’m shooting anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I couldn’t get a V3 waterfowl pro, So I made one out of my versa max sportsman. Just got it back from my lgs. Cerakoted in patriot brown and dipped in realtree timber. Also had an oversized bolt release added, and got a briley charging handle. Here it is!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by SHughes on Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:19 pm 
Crown Grade

SHughes wrote:
I couldn’t get a V3 waterfowl pro, So I made one out of my versa max sportsman. Just got it back from my lgs. Cerakoted in patriot brown and realtree timber. Also had an oversized bolt release added, and got a briley charging handle. Here it is!

That`s a nice looking shotgun.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195  Next