ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195
 Post subject: Re: Versa Max
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
SHughes wrote:
I couldn’t get a V3 waterfowl pro, So I made one out of my versa max sportsman. Just got it back from my lgs. Cerakoted in patriot brown and realtree timber. Also had an oversized bolt release added, and got a briley charging handle. Here it is!

That`s a nice looking shotgun.

I agree, very nice. I need to get that done to one of my Ithacas at some point. It would look really good.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Specklebelly wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
SHughes wrote:
I couldn’t get a V3 waterfowl pro, So I made one out of my versa max sportsman. Just got it back from my lgs. Cerakoted in patriot brown and realtree timber. Also had an oversized bolt release added, and got a briley charging handle. Here it is!

That`s a nice looking shotgun.

I agree, very nice. I need to get that done to one of my Ithacas at some point. It would look really good.

Thanks guys! I’ve always liked the look of the waterfowl pro editions. I have an all max 5 camo A300 outlander, and it’s held up well in wet conditions. 3 years and not a bit of rust. Cerakote is supposedly more corrosion resistant than dipping, and I just like the look of cerakote matched with camo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

SHughes wrote:
I couldn’t get a V3 waterfowl pro, So I made one out of my versa max sportsman. Just got it back from my lgs. Cerakoted in patriot brown and dipped in realtree timber. Also had an oversized bolt release added, and got a briley charging handle. Here it is!

Very nice result. By the way, don't fret on not being able to find a V3 WP...your VM is a far superior shotgun to the V3 of any stripe IMO. I had three V3s and still have one VM which I will keep. I also had a 2nd VM (Tactical) which I sold because I really didn't need a 2nd VM and decided to take the profit with the current buying frenzy of Remmy shotguns.

I just sold off the last of my (3) V3s and did so because of the weakness in the V3's unique cam pin design and the lack of spare parts. After breaking the cam pin in one of the V3s on this year's pheasant hunt...I was lucky to find a single replacement only after calling every viable parts source in the country. No one will find a replacement cam pin / carrier plate assembly today. That was the last straw for me.

The VM design is based closely on the military-adopted Benelli M4 with its ARGO gas system...so close, in fact that many key parts from the Benelli will fit the VM. This will be extremely important going forward if the situation with Remington doesn't resolve itself. BTW...Numrich Arms still has stock on many important VM parts if you want to pick up spares before they disappear.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

hk3gk, that is great information! I was concerned about the availability of parts, but I was aware that some parts interchange with Benelli. I had not heard about the cam pin issues with the V3. I have noticed that the cam pin on my Versa Max has already scarred though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
(GAS) Pressure has nothing to do with it, for some 1 oz. target loads are as high of a "pressure" as anything else.

Whaaat??? Gas pressure has nothing to do with a gas-driven mechanism? Um-kay.

Were that the case...there'd be no need for having 3 different levels of the # of ports in the VM's Versaport system...or #, size and mechanical valving on more conventional gas guns.

If gas pressure has nothing to do with driving the bolt or its velocity...why not put all the 7 Versa Ports in front of the 3.5" shell so that all ports are open all the time, regardless of shell length? Or make the gas ports on all gas guns oversize? Huge without relief valves?

Further...you need to understand the difference in max gas pressure when it expresses itself as a very short "spike" versus a "prolonged peak." In other words the Area Under the Curve...which is a measure of how the whole of the impulse acts upon the system. Take a look at the pressure curves of fast-burning and slow-burning powders for example.

RandyWakeman wrote:
It is the heavy payload (1-1/2 oz., a.k.a. 'Baby Magnum) in a 2-3/4 inch unfolded length shell that produces excessive bolt speed.

If it's the heavy payload that's responsible for excessive bolt speed in the VM...why aren't we hearing the same consistent complaints from VM user's of heavy payload 3" and 3.5" shells, such as 2oz 3" shells -or- 2.5oz 3.5" shells? Where the gas system is progressively closed off to those shell lengths?

I think you have your statement crossed up with Recoil / Inertia mechanisms.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, my dad liked the feel of my Versa Max Sportsman enough to go to Gander and pick up the left handed one they had on the rack. He got the snazzy black one though with all the bells and whistles. Lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:53 am 
Tournament Grade

The more I use my versa max, the more I’m impressed with it. I’ve been itching to get back out and do some hunting with it since I got it back from my LGS. I noticed thousands of snow geese this week near my dads farm, so my buddy, my daughter, her bf, and I decided to do some snow goose hunting. I shortened my A300 Outlander for my daughter to use, though she only hunted with us the first day. We didn’t have any decoys, or any way to draw them to us, so we had to jump them up. My daughter was the first one of us to drop a snow goose (that’s my country girl), but it wasn’t long before the rest of us were dropping them too.

We hunted several more times over the course of the week, and I fired about 2 boxes of 3.5” BBs. I’ve never been a fan of 3.5” shells, because I have a shoulder injury and am recoil sensitive. However, I am feeling no I’ll effects from hunting. On a side note, several of the mornings we hunted, the temps were in the single digits. I didn’t have a single cycling issue. My buddy’s SX2 and my daughter’s bf’s SX4 bith has trouble cycling in the cold weather. I believe that may have been in part due to the fact that both of them used them oil when cleaning their guns though. I cleaned my buddy’s SX2 with break free CLP, and put a drop of hoppes gun lube down each trench in the receiver where the bolt slides, and he had no cycling issues after that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congratulations on the successful hunt, if you figure out some way to make the meat edible, would you please share the recipe with us?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:24 am 
Tournament Grade

casonet wrote:
Congratulations on the successful hunt, if you figure out some way to make the meat edible, would you please share the recipe with us?

Lol I don’t eat them. We use the birds as bait for coyote hunting.

I do Know a guy who claims to be able to prepare them and make them taste good, but I’m afraid to try it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195