ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington Model 11 fiber cushion
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:57 am 
Field Grade

I have been reading about the Remington Model 11 and its "fiber cushion" located at the inside rear of the receiver. If and when it needs replacing, is there a gunsmith who specializes in this type of repair? Seems to me like this would be something that professional hands need to handle, as it were.

On another note, how long do these cushions last before requiring replacement? Does shooting lower power shells extend the life of the recoil cushion? I am in the process of purchasing a couple of Model 11s and need to know whether this issue makes it more of a liability than the gun is worth.

Thanks for your answers, folks!

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

Post subject: Re: Remington Model 11 fiber cushion
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:08 am 
Field Grade

The Rem 11 is an excellent recoil operated shotgun. If you adjust the friction ring properly for "high brass" loads and keep the mag tube and recoil spring DRY you should have no problems. Oiling reduces the intended friction.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:39 am 
Field Grade

Thanks, Aunt Bee.

Yes, I am acquainted with the friction rings (I own 5 Auto-5s) so I always keep the magazine tube dry and the rings adjusted for either heavy or light loads.

Since the fiber recoil cushion is located inside the receiver, would shooting normal low velocity shells (dove loads, skeet, etc.) protect the cushion from wear? Browning doesn't use a fiber cushion so this a new issue for me.

I appreciate your reply.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:52 am 
Field Grade

I've owned 2 Rem 11's. (1 5 shot & 1 1936 Sportsman 3 shot) and never had to replace a fiber cushion or the rivit that holds the cushion. I have 2 back up cushions & 2 rivits but they remain unused. When I first ordered backups I was surprised- they more resemble a piece of tile or slate than fiber. They are avail. at Poppert's for about $2 ea if you want backups or feel uneasy & easily replaced by a gunsmith. ps the 1936 has been used since 36 !! It is my guess that low brass is easier on any gun part than high brass but a Rem 11 is an EXCELENT but dated gun and you should not worry about it's "fiber cushion" (JMHO). Regards from the Chesapeake Bay (near USNA, Annapolis, Maryland) GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY( - Sorry, I HAD to !!) :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:45 am 
Field Grade

This is the type of answer I've been looking for, actually.

From what you stated, I guess it's not something I should worry about on a day-to-day basis, but rather something I should check occasionally for normal wear and tear. I'll check with Poppert's for extras and just keep those on hand, if necessary. Kind of like buying backup ejectors for a Winchester 97!

And since I'm a member of the Naval Order of the United States, you go ahead and root for Navy as loudly as you desire, no apologies necessary! LOL!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:58 am 
Field Grade

By the way (off topic)- Are you a Civil War re-enactor ?? 63 rd Ohio Vollintier Inf. I'm a big time Civil war metal detector in Md & Va -Antietam, Cedar Mountain, etc Friend found a OVI belt buckle. We find buttons, bullets, shellsn & frags, sword blades, Id disc (49 th Pa vols )etc . Along with duck & goose hunting, gun colecting, etc it keeps me busy. -3 sons join me also. regards, AB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:27 pm 
Field Grade

Sounds like you and your boys keep busy! I'm not a reenactor, just a genealogist. I'm from West By God Virginia, so I had family on both sides during The Late Unpleasantness...and I honor my ancestors from both sides, as is proper.

Always wanted to hunt the Chesapeake due to its great duck hunting history. Of course, duck hunting down here in Southeast Texas is nothing to sneeze at, either!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:00 pm 
Field Grade

Didn't think a Texas boy would dare to be in the 63 rd OVI , but WTH, thought I'd ask anyway. Spent 25 winters in WVA deer hunting- 24 mountain racks- near Elkins- BEAUTIFUL state!! hope the floods left you & your loved ones dry!! My Dad was stationed in Texas in the summer of 43 for awhile before going overseas. Brought back a BIG map of Texas with 47 TINY "adjourning provences"- Always laughed at that one!! Regards, AB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:27 pm 
Field Grade

Hahaha! That "map" you're talking about sounds hilarious!

Yes, the family in WV escaped the flooding, but those of us in Texas sure could have used it, what with this horrible drought. All 254 counties in Texas are in dire drought conditions...we need rain badly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:44 pm 
Field Grade

I currently have (4) M-11's (3-20's and 1-12 ga.) and have had many others over the years. I have never had a problem with the fibre cushions on any of them and frankly never worried about them either. I think the old "duck blind" guns that need all the wood replaced and have no finish are the ones that typically need these cushions replaced (among other things). If your guns are in good shape and don't look to have been subjected to theses harsh conditions I think you will be ok.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:49 am 
Field Grade

lafayettemx:

Thanks for the input. I was hoping this was the case for the Model 11, but having read about the cushion in several online posts I began to wonder whether or not it was an issue for concern.

I just bought a 1931 Remington Model 11 Sportsman in 16 gauge that is in unfired, like new condition, and based on your and Aunt Bee's comments I'm not going to waste too much time worrying about the fiber cushion now!

And, I just may have to go ahead and buy that 1940 Model 11 Sportsman in 12 gauge...!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:27 am 
Diamond Grade

Just replace them. It's a cheap part that you can order from Numerich. It will help prevent your bolt from cracking if it ever hits the back of the reciever, like my model 11 bolt did.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:39 pm 
Field Grade

Ok, how difficult is it to replace them? Everything I have read tells me it is a job for a professional. Doesn't the rivet go thru the back of the reciever requiring refinishing?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:44 pm 
Field Grade

From what I've discovered, you remove and replace it from inside the receiver so nothing happens on the outside.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:55 pm 
Field Grade

From Rem. 11 Field Service Manual----Remove bbl, fore-end, stock,trigger plate,carrier spring, carrier, action spring, locking block latch, and breech block - ( not sure ALL this is necessary)--Pry out old cushion if still in position. Put drill guide block into receiver & drill out old rivet, using 2 drills which fit into guide block- one drill pointed to drill hole to depth, the other flat to square bottom hole. Care should be taken in drilling so as not to drill through receiver ( hole depth .062) Insert new oversize rivet into searing punch & seat rivet into receiver. Use rivet crimping punch & crimp metal of receiver around rivet head. Put new fiber cushion into receiver with beveled side to rear. Force it firmly against rear wall. Put rivet expanding punch through guide block against rivet & strike it a quick blow to spread rivet !!!!------ Must be a simpler way but ?? Best to give these instructions to a qualified gunsmith----But as I said before I never heard of a cushion failing WITH PROPER FRICTION RING SET UP!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:31 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks, Aunt Bee. I figure it's probably a simpler process than is described in the manual (in other words it takes more time to describe the process than it takes to perform it, LOL!) but at least it's confirmed that a gunsmith IS NOT supposed to drill through the back of the reciever!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:01 pm 
Field Grade

So where do you get this "guide block"?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:39 am 
Utility Grade

I just joined. I can fix your model 11 fiber cushion. I do it all the time. If y'all have any questions 919-223-3139 my name is Aaron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:47 am 
Diamond Grade

Does the cushion get hit every time the bolt cycles, or is it there for the times when the rings are set wrong?

Also, did the Savage autos have the cushion?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes it hits every time