ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1100 barrel swap question.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:15 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the list. My 11-87 field barrel ports are correct. I got my caliper out and discovered the .086 drill bit in the .089 hole in my bit index. It seems that my '1100 Synthetic' has the ports of a Skeet model.

Now that you mention it, I do recall a 1100 Classic Field version or something like that for a few years. There were a couple of new target models after that and only target models now, as far as I can tell.

It probably would not be a good idea to continue using my uncompensated deer barrel for turkey loads. That was my only doubt about any of the 11-87 barrels I use. I still wonder at the reason for so much porting in those, given their intended use.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's the length. When you start getting shorter 1100s/11-87s start to get finicky. The best gauge is the buffer. The receiver is steel, so one whack or even several dozen isn't likely to break anything. If you see metal to metal contact, replace the buffer and check the action spring (I have never yet, even after 52 years, had to replace one of mine). Put a little machinist's blue on the receiver if there has already been contact and then you will know if it happens again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:21 pm 
Limited Edition

I will check the spring and the buffer etc. for contact. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Buffer contact isn't a bad thing unless it is hitting hard and getting badly deformed. I changed mine about 1966 because I could see it had been hitting and in about two months it looked the same again. 49 years later it's still going strong. The quality of the buffer material has varied thru the years. One would have thought being owned by DuPont they would have the best minds in the business on it, but obviously not. The early white ones and the current black ones seem to be about the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:23 pm 
Field Grade

Where does a guy find a barrel? I have a 3 inch gun and I would like to shoot steel with remchokes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Remington, Midway, corsonsbarrels, barrelexchange, gunbroker, ebay.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:43 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Virginian I need to get up with you I have more questions on the 1100. I'm new here don't really know how this site works yet and I sent you a friend request to chat with you i hope anyways. Your knowledge on the 1100 is what I'm hoping to tap into. You had the privilege to talk with Wayne Leek I hoping for the same with you.