ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington Autoloading Shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Today I disassembled my pre-Model 11 and thought I'd share the pictures. Remington started production of John Browning's masterpiece in 1905. This example is from 1908.

To my mind the biggest drawback to these guns is the buffer. It's there to save the rear of the receiver from getting battered by the bolt, and also to prevent the firing pin from contact and causing an inadvertent discharge if the gun is hand cycled while loaded. Lose the buffer, lose the protection.

I was actually surprised to find the buffer in there as I'd heard they were added years later. I took the gun apart to see if early guns had the same milling in that area the FN guns do. But whether or not the buffer is original, there is no milling.

Here's the back of the bolt showing the firing pin.

Post subject: Re: Remington Autoloading Shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:19 pm 
Crown Grade

One of the weaknesses of FN's version of the gun is the rail on the locking block. Until 1958 it was thin and prone to breaking. The prototype and first year (1903) guns had rails on both sides, and so does the RAS.

Unequal in height, the rail on the left is 1mm high, and the right rail is 2mm. That pretty much matches what I found when I disassembled my 1903 Browning.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:26 pm 
Crown Grade

In 1936 FN/Browning removed metal from inside the receiver (and elsewhere) of the 16 gauge to lighten it, and the "Sweet Sixteen" was born. Ten years later they did the same thing to create the "Light Twelve". So today I was surprised to find lightening cuts very similar to those used on Brownings, only these were done almost 30 years earlier.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rudolph send me an email at WilliamGurton(at)Hotmail(dot)com and I send you a photo of a first year receiver. I didn't take it all the way down since I didn't want to mark the carrier screws. Yo can see that it is recessed to accommodate the firing pin.

I checked a 130,xxx serial number gun and it had the red rubber buffer.

Will

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for this! I have my Great Grandfather's, later my Grandfather's, quail gun...a pre-model 11. It has a 26 inch, solid rib, cylinder bore barrel. The gun is in excellent mechanical condition, and not bad cosmetically....particularly considering it's well over 100 years old. Supposedly it was the first autoloading shotgun sold in Pike County, Mo. Needless to say, it's a treasured heirloom that I'll pass along to my Grandson someday. I'm enjoying it in the meantime--shot a couple of rounds of skeet with it last week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:25 am 
Crown Grade

These Remington Automatic shotguns work great if the action and recoil springs are kept changed out and adjusted for loads as prescribed. Amazing gun since it is such an old Browning design. The lightening cuts are quite unusual I think. I will check mine that according to Remington records was first year of production 1903 to see it has them but I doubt it. Mine also does not have any buffer. Super pictures! Thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:28 am 
Utility Grade

I have a pre mod. 11 Remington UMC autoloading 12 gauge Ser # 113709 I would like to replace the Action and Recoil springs, the recoil spring is the square cut one with 19 coils, can someone specify exactly what to buy and where to buy it. Also if someone could tell me date of manufacture of this gun, that would be great.
Thanks in advance for your help

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:31 pm 
Crown Grade

I’d forgotten about this post. It’s nice that Photobucket left most of the pictures intact.

Oyeme first, the S/V book says that Remington signed a contract to make these guns in 1903, but the first guns were actually produced in 1905.

Domingo, welcome to a Shotgunworld! Recoil and Action Springs are some of the few parts that will interchange with Brownings. I get mine at MGW.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/brownin ... parts.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Rudolph31 wrote:
I’d forgotten about this post. It’s nice that Photobucket left most of the pictures intact.

Oyeme first, the S/V book says that Remington signed a contract to make these guns in 1903, but the first guns were actually produced in 1905.

Domingo, welcome to a Shotgunworld! Recoil and Action Springs are some of the few parts that will interchange with Brownings. I get mine at MGW.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/brownin ... parts.html

I got that date from Remington who said the one I had was made in 1903. I am not sure they know so would not argue the point. The one I had was without any markings other than patent numbers and 1902 application for that patent. No buffer in it.

No other markings I could find. It is now in a friend's hands. Great old gun and with new action spring and recoil spring 100% reliable!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, the story goes that Browning stopped importing the guns in December of 1903 because he had just signed a contract with Remington that month. Doesn’t allow much time to set up a factory...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:49 am 
Crown Grade

Code:
I have a pre mod. 11 Remington UMC autoloading 12 gauge Ser # 113709

From 1905 into early 1911 the guns were marked Remington Arms Co.

In 1911, Marcellus Hartley Dodge combined his arms and ammunition companies as Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:04 am 
Tournament Grade

Domgino wrote:
I have a pre mod. 11 Remington UMC autoloading 12 gauge Ser # 113709 I would like to replace the Action and Recoil springs, the recoil spring is the square cut one with 19 coils, can someone specify exactly what to buy and where to buy it. Also if someone could tell me date of manufacture of this gun, that would be great.
Thanks in advance for your help

Domgino,

You can find the Recoil springs used on eBay but wouldn't trust them if you plan to shoot extensively.

The best bet for the square Recoil Spring is to buy NOS military surplus. They will be in a green rust inhibiting paper wrapper and are seen from time to time on eBay, but I believe SARCO stocks them.

Good Luck, Will