ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broke my V3 Field Synthetic
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:00 pm 
Utility Grade

I went for my first duck hunt with the V3 and after about 15 rounds of Kent Bismuth 1350 1 1/2oz number 4s the gun just locked up. The bolt was closed and wouldn't move, there was a round sitting on the lifter. I felt like the round stuck in the chamber had been fired but no way to easily tell. I had a backup gun back at the truck so my hunt wasn't ruined but it sure didn't feel good.

When I got the gun home and took it apart the pin that sticks up from the bolt carrier and rotates the bolt had broken off inside the bolt. Once I dug it out I was able to rotate the bolt with a screwdriver and get the thankfully spent shell out. There had never been any signs of wear on that pin before. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

What it should look like. Image

What it does look like. Image

Post subject: Re: Broke my V3 Field Synthetic
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Better use the lifetime warranty before Remington isn’t around anymore ;)

Seriously, their customer service seems great from what I’ve read

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:59 am 
Presentation Grade

I seem to recall seeing a YouTube video of a similar problem. If I recall there were comments indicating that the situation was taken care of.

This is certainly a situation where that warranty will come in handy.

I would hope that this is the sort of thing where you just need to talk with someone, or at the most send them a picture and they would just send you the replacement part. That would sure be a lot less trouble than sending the entire gun back and forth.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:21 am 
Utility Grade

I have already shipped the gun off to Remington. I didn’t want to just get a new part in case this was caused by something else in the gun not being machined properly. For instance if the slot in the boot was cut wrong. We will see what Remington has to say about it.

I’m just glad to see that it appears like others have been running 3 inch shells through their guns without a problem. My worry was that this is a design flaw and is something that is just going to keep happening.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congratulations on being able to actually identify a real problem rather than a typical "My gun broke !" post. Any sarcasm is NOT directed at you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Yeah, I'm an amateur gunsmith. Sometimes I even get through a project without having to replace all of the parts I worked on. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:00 pm 
Crown Grade

JOESPUD27 wrote:
Better use the lifetime warranty before Remington isn’t around anymore ;)

Seriously, their customer service seems great from what I’ve read

Oh, I think they`ll still be around. Owned by someone else, perhaps, but still around.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Sorry about your luck, here's hoping you get an answer quickly!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:42 pm 
Limited Edition

Sorry it broke. Is the part made out of plastic?.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

troutbum1 wrote:
Sorry it broke. Is the part made out of plastic?.

ffs lets give Remington the opportunity to respond. they will make it right.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:07 am 
Utility Grade

Not made of plastic but it looks to be a cast part. I don’t know how much stress is supposed to be put on that post during normal use but it doesn’t look like it can handle much. Looking at it I have to assume it is designed so that it only rotates the bolt and is stopped before it slams into the front or the back of the bolt sleeve, it just doesn’t look strong enough to do that without snapping off at the base again. If it was a pin inserted through the base it would be stronger than just having a molded on post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:53 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It is the cam pin.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:20 am 
Limited Edition

Thank's ,I was looking at the Remi V-3. But now I don't know. I use a Remi 1100 syn comp for trap, love it hardly no recoil. My shoulders can't take a lot of recoil any more, so i'm looking at an auto for a belated X mas gift. I won a Mossi silver reserve ll, nice gun for sporting clay's, shoots great, but recoil is a little heavy, 1100 spoils you. . I hear good things about the V-3. might trade the S R ll for what ever it's worth and get a 1100 sporting or a Beretta a 400.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:37 am 
Presentation Grade

It is a steel pin press fit into the steel bolt carrier bottom plate. I am not a metallurgist, so I don't know the exact properties and composition of the metals involved, but to the layman it is steel and steel. NO plastic in that part of the gun.

I own a walnut 28" V3 and I am not worried about its reliability at all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:57 am 
Tournament Grade

Apexcars wrote:
When I got the gun home and took it apart the pin that sticks up from the bolt carrier and rotates the bolt had broken off inside the bolt.

As a new owner of a V3, I find this disappointing and troubling.

When I first got the (3) V3s I recently purchased...without stripping their bolt assemblies, I could see they had more parts than the Versa Max bolt assembly. I didn't however know the exact configuration of the V3's bolt assembly until I removed and stripped it side by side with the VM just now after reading through this thread.

My apologies in advance if this observation has already been made...but it looks as though some engineer has the designed the V3's bolt assembly to be different (from the VM)...just for the sake of being different. I believe Remington could have done a lot worse than simply scaling the VM bolt assembly and using it without the "tail." From my count, the V3's bolt assembly contains ~50% more parts than the VM bolt assembly.

Comparing the V3 and VM bolt assemblies...I see simple and strong (VM) along side of complex and possibly fragile (V3). Hey Remington...why did you not utilize the already successful design of the VM bolt assembly in the V3? This is a "head-scratcher" for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thank you so much for that expert opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:07 pm 
Limited Edition

Good choice to send the gun in for repair. On page 80 of the main V3 thread, guy had the same problem. Sounds like Remington replaced the bolt and carrier.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:51 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

hkg3k wrote:
My apologies in advance if this observation has already been made...but it looks as though some engineer has the designed the V3's bolt assembly to be different (from the VM)...just for the sake of being different.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The V3 was designed from scratch to have a more compact receiver and significantly lighter weight than the VM.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

hkg3k wrote:
but it looks as though some engineer has the designed the V3's bolt assembly to be different (from the VM)...just for the sake of being different.

Virginian wrote:
Thank you so much for that expert opinion.

You must be an engineer :D

Here's a pic of a stripped VM bolt assembly (minus tail)

Here's a pic of a stripped V3 bolt assembly

Notice how the cam pin is attached perpendicular to the carrier plate...and how that pin snapped on apexcars's gun and at least another from the other thread.

It's always been my understanding that 90 degrees is really good at focusing stresses...and that smart engineering / design is about making things simpler, rather than complex.

To my eye (as a multiple V3 owner) the V3 bolt assembly design is unnecessarily complex and the cam pin design in particular is poor.

RandyWakeman wrote:
The V3 was designed from scratch to have a more compact receiver and significantly lighter weight than the VM.

Understood...but what part of that dictates a scaled VM bolt assembly could not have been utilized?...that a more complex and arguably more fragile design had to be employed?

BTW, a scaled VM bolt assembly would probably weigh less than the current V3 bolt assembly...my (tailless) VM bolt assembly weighs 13.9 oz as is and the V3 bolt assembly weighs 13.2 oz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:42 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

hkg3k wrote:
It's always been my understanding that 90 degrees is really good at focusing stresses...and that smart engineering / design is about making things simpler, rather than complex.

That's one theory, a theory that John Moses Browning certainly didn't subscribe to, using 87 parts rather than 12 whenever possible. I suppose all automobiles should have simpler, single cylinder engines?

There is scant little stress with a rotating bolt. That the problem happened so very early, after 15 rounds points to a binding problem, not an endurance or wear issue as you might see at the 100,000 round mark.

There is nothing desirable about "the tail": parts that are a necessity with conventional bolt designs. Now, you have a magazine tube in the buttstock, the mainspring, and various retainer components that fill with crud, are prone to rust, and so forth. That's not good news for a gas gun at all, and that makes the V3, the Fabarm XLR5, and the Fabarm L4S better designs. There is nothing particularly wondrously simple about threading the back of a receiver for a fragile, hollow tube, that is easily bent and serves as a perpetual crud collector.

Last edited by RandyWakeman on Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.