ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Broke my V3 Field Synthetic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:32 am 
Tournament Grade

The Drake wrote:
As for the Remington brass, did you really think they would tell you anything different. Surely you cant be that gullible or naïve ?

Not sure if this was directed at me or someone else...but I certainly don't have a communication pipeline into "Remington brass."

And...with regard to any "blue sky" commentary from that Remington brass...I may have been born at night, but I wasn't born last night.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:58 pm 
Crown Grade

hkg3k wrote:
The Drake wrote:
As for the Remington brass, did you really think they would tell you anything different. Surely you cant be that gullible or naïve ?

Not sure if this was directed at me or someone else...but I certainly don't have a communication pipeline into "Remington brass."

And...with regard to any "blue sky" commentary from that Remington brass...I may have been born at night, but I wasn't born last night.

I think that you`ll find that " The Drake " takes a bit of getting used to ( or ignoring, whichever you prefer ).

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Got my v3 back today new bolt assembly installed. Quick turnaround....thanks Remington.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:31 am 
Tournament Grade

hkg3k wrote:
The Drake wrote:

You are not the one that boasted about talking to Remington management.....not directed at you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Without creating a new thread, my V3 did have the cam pin break after firing roughly 600 Walmart Federal Target Ammo. Given other owners had their pins break, I'm going to call up Remington first thing Monday. I do plan to continue using my V3. =)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:28 pm 
Field Grade

What's next???? Browning is my vote...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:10 am 
Presentation Grade

I use mine mostly at the range and have about 2000 rounds through it. Not broken

2019 Henry Long Ranger 6.5CM
2019 Henry H001L
2018 Henry US survival rifle
2017 Browning 725 sporting
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:10 am 
Presentation Grade

I use mine mostly at the range and have about 2000 rounds through it. Not broken

2019 Henry Long Ranger 6.5CM
2019 Henry H001L
2018 Henry US survival rifle
2017 Browning 725 sporting
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Update: On my broken cam pin.

1. I registered my V3 online with Remington on the day my V3 cam pin broke (the Saturday my post stating my cam pin broke). I figured this makes the call-in process much easier as Remington Customer Service will have my information readily available.

2. Called up Remington on Monday to order a new cam pin. A new cam pin is item: F312919. It was a 5 minute process and I was done (the online registration helps!).

3. I got concerned that I should of ordered the bolt assembly carrier with the cam pin, since the cam pin is factory pressed into the bolt assembly carrier. I called Remington on Tuesday and stated that I needed the bolt assembly carrier with the cam pin. About 10 minutes and the order was done. The part number for the bolt assembly carrier and cam pin (pressed in) is: F311149.

Initially Remington thought I might needed to ship my V3 in, I did state I knew the exact problem and I could install the part myself. It took a few extra minutes of the customer rep to confirm the order, I'm overall happy I could get a part shipped to me.

4. Part arrived today (Saturday), 7 days from Remington to California. Installed the new replacement parts with out a hitch.

5. Sunday looking like a good day to break a few clays.

Just a note for people that have broken their cam pins, you might want to check that cam pin bolt is not scarred from the broken cam pin.

Overall, Remington's life-time warranty (for now) works great!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:09 am 
Field Grade

My V3 that I bought on October 6, 2017, with about 1,500 rounds through it just broke the cam pin. Bolt would still slide forward and back manually but would not fire a shell. I thought maybe it was a broken firing pin. Anyway, took it apart to find cam pin sheared at base. Looked very crystalline at break like maybe it was too hard of a material? I called Remington and they have a f311149 assembly in the mail to me. Said they had not had complaints from that part failing, but I knew better. At least it was easy. I love the way my v3 fits, points, and shoots. I do experience some blowback occasionally - I will need to send my gun in to get that resolved.

Waylan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:04 pm 
Field Grade

My part F311149 arrived in mail, but it was just the bolt carrier, not the carrier and bolt. It’s all I needed but I was kind of hoping for the extra parts. About to put it all together.

Waylan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Does Remington request that the broken parts be sent back to them? It's nice that they will send out parts, but that isn't SOP for any guns I've had to get fixed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:06 pm 
Field Grade

They did not request any parts back, not even a photo of the broken cam pin.

Waylan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:02 am 
Crown Grade

walexa07 wrote:
They did not request any parts back, not even a photo of the broken cam pin.

Waylan

Sounds similar to the old LL Bean philosophy. If so, that`s good IMO. On second thought, this might be better. I think LL Bean required that you send back items before they would replace them ( could be wrong about this, though ).

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well...my concern regarding the (over complicated) design of the V3's bolt assembly and the fragility of the cam pin specifically, came to fruition last week. About half-way thru our group's limit on the 2nd day of our annual South Dakota pheasant hunt...it happened. My son's V3 locked up tight with the hammer down and refused to open. I handed him my V3 and I borrowed the guide's SBE to finish the day's hunt as my backup was at the lodge.

I had a suspicion as to what had happened...but didn't confirm the broken cam-pin till I got the V3 back to the lodge and performed a complete disassembly where I had to remove the barrel with the bolt assembly still attached. I had to disassemble the bolt assembly while engaged on the barrel to be able to rotate the bolt and remove it.

Here's what I found

The pin snapped at the base...and as can be seen, is quite "buggered" up. That battering of a hardened cam pin is very curious to me and indicates there's something not right in the design, execution or how the bolt's tail and cam pin interact.

Just out of curiosity...I removed the carrier plate of the two other V3s I have.

Lest anyone questions I have three V3s...here's the carrier plates from all three lined up...

Frustrating on many levels beginning with the design of the bolt assembly itself. Why Remington went with a more complicated and fragile design versus just scaling down a "tailless" Versa Max bolt assembly is beyond comprehension IMO. Further...with the current situation with Remington, I invite anyone to try and find a cam pin (or complete carrier plate assembly) for that matter in the US right now.

The bottom line for me however is that part should have never broken. Next year the V3 stays home and the Versa Max goes back on "the traveling squad."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:45 am 
Utility Grade

With Remington's Bankruptcy, parts for the V3 are hard to find. The closest I found for a cam pin replacement was buying a complete Bolt Assembly for $330 at Midwest Gun Works. However, I just checked and they were sold out.

The only option I can think of now is finding a good machinist and welder to fix cam pin failures or buying a complete new V3 (or whatever is left).

My first cam pin broke at 1,000 rounds with just target loads. The replacement cam pin/bolt carrier assembly hasn't broken yet after 2,000+ of target loads.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:35 am 
Crown Grade

Sorry to hear about that issue with the cam pin. I have kept that area of the bolt assembly on mine well greased and so far it does not have the marks on it like those the OP shows. I guess I will just keep shooting mine until it fails. Good information to have.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:00 am 
Tournament Grade

FLZ_Boy wrote:
With Remington's Bankruptcy, parts for the V3 are hard to find. The closest I found for a cam pin replacement was buying a complete Bolt Assembly for $330 at Midwest Gun Works. However, I just checked and they were sold out.

The only option I can think of now is finding a good machinist and welder to fix cam pin failures or buying a complete new V3 (or whatever is left).

My first cam pin broke at 1,000 rounds with just target loads. The replacement cam pin/bolt carrier assembly hasn't broken yet after 2,000+ of target loads.

It's a shame to think about having to purchase a $330 part (or a new gun for that matter) in order to replace an $8 part (should be free). As I've stated several times in this thread...a breakage of such a key part in any semi auto (rifle or shotgun) should never happen and is due to an over-complicated and poor design.

My hope is that Remington is sitting on a pile of parts and it's just a matter of time before a reorganization gets sorted and the parts department opens back up -or- if this is a life ending event for Remington, that their spare part stockpile gets purchased soon by a reseller like Numrich and I can purchase there.

oyeme wrote:
Sorry to hear about that issue with the cam pin. I have kept that area of the bolt assembly on mine well greased and so far it does not have the marks on it like those the OP shows. I guess I will just keep shooting mine until it fails. Good information to have.

I found and contributed to this thread before the trigger was pulled on any of the (3) V3s I have. Before any 1st outing...I pulled the bolt assembly, disassembled and well greased the cam pin, bolt collar and tail and the carrier plate where it slides against the Bolt Body. I can assure everyone these critical areas have never lacked for cleaning or lubrication...and still the cam pins on my guns are peened and buggered up.

That yours show no such peening...could mean a different heat treat on your generation of cam pin? Is there even a connection between the pin peening and snapping off? Who knows?

When did you purchase your V3? Mine were purchased in Nov 2017. Good luck and I hope you never have any breakage.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:14 am 
Crown Grade

hkg3k wrote:
FLZ_Boy wrote:

It's a shame to think about having to purchase a $330 part (or a new gun for that matter) in order to replace an $8 part (should be free). As I've stated several times in this thread...a breakage of such a key part in any semi auto (rifle or shotgun) should never happen and is due to an over-complicated and poor design.

My hope is that Remington is sitting on a pile of parts and it's just a matter of time before a reorganization gets sorted and the parts department opens back up -or- if this is a life ending event for Remington, that their spare part stockpile gets purchased soon by a reseller like Numrich and I can purchase there.

oyeme wrote:

I found and contributed to this thread before the trigger was pulled on any of the (3) V3s I have. Before any 1st outing...I pulled the bolt assembly, disassembled and well greased the cam pin, bolt collar and tail and the carrier plate where it slides against the Bolt Body. I can assure everyone these critical areas have never lacked for cleaning or lubrication...and still the cam pins on my guns are peened and buggered up.

That yours show no such peening...could mean a different heat treat on your generation of cam pin? Is there even a connection between the pin peening and snapping off? Who knows?

When did you purchase your V3? Mine were purchased in Nov 2017. Good luck and I hope you never have any breakage.

I was not suggesting that you had not performed proper preventative maintenance on yours. I was just explaining what I have been doing.

I purchased my V3 in August 2019.

Thank you and I appreciate your frustration. I would feel the same in your shoes.

I am thinking that a good competent welder could fix your cam pins and reinforce any others so that it never happens. One of your carrier plates shows some gouging but don't know if that happened when the pin sheared off.

I agree a pin that was inserted through the carrier plate and maybe spot welded would have prevented such issues. I really hope that I don't have a cam pin issue because I use my V3 almost to the exclusion of others due to how well it functions with ANY ammo and the remarkably soft recoil.

Good luck with your fix and keep us posted. I, for one, would be interested on how you progress going forward.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:38 am 
Crown Grade

OP, PM just sent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next