ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Broke my V3 Field Synthetic
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
I was not suggesting that you had not performed proper preventative maintenance on yours. I was just explaining what I have been doing.

Apologies...it wasn't taken that way. I just wanted to clarify that I was aware of the issue before any use of my guns and that the cam pin and carrier plate assemblies in my guns have always been appropriately lubricated and never run "dry."

oyeme wrote:
I am thinking that a good competent welder could fix your cam pins and reinforce any others so that it never happens. One of your carrier plates shows some gouging but don't know if that happened when the pin sheared off.

This would be my last resort. Doing so would make the attachment of the cam pin to carrier plate permanent...notwithstanding that any weld in that area would have to clear the cut-out in the bolt body. If I access a machinist...I would most likely have them duplicate a few pins which I could just drive out and press back in to replace as breakage necessitated. They're not a particularly complex or expensive part...just not available. At this point...I'm willing to wait and see what happens with V3 spare parts supply. I have plenty of other shotguns to use in the interim.

oyeme wrote:
I purchased my V3 in August 2019.

Thank you and I appreciate your frustration. I would feel the same in your shoes.

Hopefully Remington learned something in making the cam pins between the purchase of my V3s in 2017 and yours in 2019.

oyeme wrote:
I really hope that I don't have a cam pin issue because I use my V3 almost to the exclusion of others due to how well it functions with ANY ammo and the remarkably soft recoil.

I hope the same for you and other owners of V3s...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:14 pm 
Crown Grade

OP: Check for PM just sent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:22 am 
Field Grade

If the failure point was the press fit of the pin in its mounting hole, then I might believe some form of welding could be a part of the solution. Given that the pins are shearing, I cannot see any application of welding improving the metallurgy of the pin.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:48 am 
Crown Grade

REALLY like my V3 walnut. It`s an excellent field gun. REALLY glad I have other excellent field guns.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:50 am 
Presentation Grade

"...time before a reorganization gets sorted and the parts department opens back up -or- if this is a life ending event for Remington, that their spare part stockpile gets purchased soon by a reseller like Numrich and I can purchase there."

My wag is that all parts have already been sold. Emails from CDNN and Midwayusa.com have been selling stock sets, barrels, stripped receivers, etc. for months now for 870 and 700 models. I would expect parts for all models were liquidated.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:26 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

No one would fire-sale V3 walnut stock sets to CDNN if V3 walnut models were ever going to be produced again.

http://randywakeman.com/