ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Are we discussing Remington bankruptcy yet?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Dr Duk wrote:
What is problem with Remington??
Mismanagement? Unions? Taxes? Lawsuits?

Yes.

Yes and no. According to court filing, sales are 1/2 what they were. When your fixed costs don’t go down that much and your sales tank, well you don’t need to be a finance major to figure that one out. Our finance guy at work is always harping on fixed costs (COGs cost of good sold) and always says hey just sell more and our numbers will improve dramatically. Unless you roll heads or shut down factories, COGs doesn’t move much. Jam more production though an already existing factory and sell it and life gets much better. CEOs at airlines are bleeding right now as fixed costs with no people flying are killing them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Sales falls under ‘management’.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

It is a tough unforgiving world out there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
What is problem with Remington??
Mismanagement? Unions? Taxes? Lawsuits?

In a nutshell, the problem is business empty suits bought in lock, stock and barrel to the Jack Welch theory of business management--growth through acquisition.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Sandy Hook families' lawsuit has a billion dollar Sword of Damocles hanging over Remington's corporate head. Who would want to buy a company under such conditions?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:48 am 
Presentation Grade

lossking wrote:
The Sandy Hook families' lawsuit has a billion dollar Sword of Damocles hanging over Remington's corporate head. Who would want to buy a company under such conditions?

Yeah, Lanza shoots himself and now the liberals push the victims' families to blame and sue the Remington-made gun for the killings. Here's my question; Can we sue Apple and Samsung for all the needless head-on collisions via moronic motorists that text while driving? Yeah, it's all BS! This crap just makes my blood boil!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

torybird wrote:
lossking wrote:

Yeah, Lanza shoots himself and now the liberals push the victims' families to blame and sue the Remington-made gun for the killings. Here's my question; Can we sue Apple and Samsung for all the needless head-on collisions via moronic motorists that text while driving? Yeah, it's all BS! This crap just makes my blood boil!

Yes, in spite of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act and the fact that Lanza murdered his own mother to gain access to the gun. It's outrageous that the Connecticut Supreme Court found a way to let the suit proceed, and unfortunate that the U.S. Supreme Court has no say so until the Connecticut suit is adjudicated. All the while, it hangs over Remington's head, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars in defense costs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protectio ... n_Arms_Act

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:29 am 
Crown Grade

I know these things in regard to Remington's future.

A) A bankruptcy sale with concomitant auction will probably bring some different players into the ownership and with their own agenda.
B) Anything I provide is strictly uninformed speculation.
C) Although I would love for an old line American company going back to 1816 to survive and prosper, I don't have any control over what happens.
D) For those reasons I am going to sit back and wait for a more definitive outcome because I think anything else is "mental masturbation".

I DO wish them good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
So....you guys don`t like the pistol and some of the rifle ammo. Fair enough. How about the guns and other products? Anything redeemable there or do we just hope Remington fades away into oblivion? Just askin`!

The Remington ammo plant is about 2 hours away from me. I have friends who wok there.

Their guns aren't what they used to be.

So no, I don't hope they fade away. I hope that a competent management company comes in, takes over, and turns things around.

Companies have ups and downs. Some survive, some don't. I 1000000% hope that Remington can turn things around and survive as a company, but if the quality isn't there, does it matter if the company survives or not?

Anyone here familiar with High Standard? Old ones were great guns. The newer ones were borderline crap. The company has been sold and bought, sold and bought, several times now. In it's latest rendition, things look promising.

I hope the same happens with Remington.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Jeepwm69 wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
So....you guys don`t like the pistol and some of the rifle ammo. Fair enough. How about the guns and other products? Anything redeemable there or do we just hope Remington fades away into oblivion? Just askin`!

The Remington ammo plant is about 2 hours away from me. I have friends who wok there.

So no, I don't hope they fade away. I hope that a competent management company comes in, takes over, and turns things around.

Companies have ups and downs. Some survive, some don't. I 1000000% hope that Remington can turn things around and survive as a company, but if the quality isn't there, does it matter if the company survives or not?

Anyone here familiar with High Standard? Old ones were great guns. The newer ones were borderline crap. The company has been sold and bought, sold and bought, several times now. In it's latest rendition, things look promising.

That`s a rather broad, sweeping statement of an opinion that would not be universally shared, I think. You would likely encounter those who are of the opinion that even through all of the travails Remington has encountered, their flagship, classic guns ( the Wingmaster and 1100 ) are as good as they've ever been. I, for one, am comfortable in stating that while I`ve not owned and used my V3 walnut to the extent I did my 1983 1100, it`s given me every reason to think that it will prove to be just as reliable and serviceable. Why, even my 2015 870 Express has surpassed my expectations so far!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Does Remington no longer make the M700? I'd certainly include it in the list of 'Flagship' guns.

If it's no longer made, I'd like to know why.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:12 pm 
Crown Grade

They sure do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Zbigniew wrote:
Does Remington no longer make the M700? I'd certainly include it in the list of 'Flagship' guns.

If it's no longer made, I'd like to know why.

I was just thinking shotguns. The 700 would certainly qualify.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:15 am 
Tournament Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Jeepwm69 wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:

That`s a rather broad, sweeping statement of an opinion that would not be universally shared, I think. You would likely encounter those who are of the opinion that even through all of the travails Remington has encountered, their flagship, classic guns ( the Wingmaster and 1100 ) are as good as they've ever been. I, for one, am comfortable in stating that while I`ve not owned and used my V3 walnut to the extent I did my 1983 1100, it`s given me every reason to think that it will prove to be just as reliable and serviceable. Why, even my 2015 870 Express has surpassed my expectations so far!

We've hashed and rehashed this in another thread.

You can have your opinion, I can have mine.

A lot of people share my opinion, and obviously Remington can't afford for many people to share my opinion and stop buying their current production guns.

All it takes is a 5 second google search for "Remington quality". When people's perception of a brand takes a dive, so do sales.

You're entitled to your opinion, but when looking at while a company is failing, a general look at the company's reputation will usually tell you a lot, and Remington's reputation is NOT what is used to be in shooting community.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Absolutely correct about opinions. Mine has been formulated by my personal experiences with Remington guns and the company as a whole from the 80s all the way until today. ymmv.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10