ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1100 turns into a two shooter??
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

On a quail hunt this weekend and my 1100 turned into a jamomatic like I’ve never seen. 1 round in the chamber with 4 in the mag. It would shoot and eject the first two and the bolt would stay locked back on the second shot with the third round staying in the mag tube. I’d have to manually fiddle with the interceptor latch just to release the third shell. I did just replace the trigger a week ago. Don’t know if that’s got anything to do with it. Magazine spring was replaced a year ago. Any thoughts??

Post subject: Re: 1100 turns into a two shooter??
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Interrupter or it's spring probably broke.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nope. Both are fine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Different shells?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:35 am 
Crown Grade

Put the old trigger back in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That is a classic sign that the intercepter latch isn't working. That is what releases the second shell out of the magazine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:48 am 
Crown Grade

oregunner wrote:
That is a classic sign that the intercepter latch isn't working. That is what releases the second shell out of the magazine.

Man, that is a good photo, where'd it come from ? Yours ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Google images

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:10 am 
Crown Grade

oregunner wrote:
Google images

I managed to find a few like that but not the original source. If there is an on-line resource that uses those photos I'd like to find it.

Yours took me to a UK shooting site but I couldn't go further.

I'll try to run it down later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Mine looks just like the picture posted. Nothing appears broken or bent. When I was manually cycling the action (unloading the gun) after a hunt this morning it cycled the first two rounds fine and the third stayed in the magazine. So I flipped the gun over and looked at the interceptor latch and is was stuck halfway. I bumped it with my finger and the shell popped out. I can push on the interceptor and it feels smooth. Plenty of resistance from the spring. I have no idea what’s going on with it. Maybe there’s a bunch of $hit built up behind it. I’ll take it off and clean/polish it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Alright! I was able to solve this without the help of Virginian lol! :lol:

First off I must say that it helps to have more than one 1100. Turns out I have a very weak interceptor latch spring. When I compared the problem gun with a known good gun the differences were incredibly obvious. I was able to rule out the interceptor latch by switching the latches between the guns and the results were the exact same. I even switched trigger groups and had the same problems. Here's what happens with one in the chamber and four in the mag tube. First round fires and ejects. Second round is picked up, fired and ejected. After ejection of the second round the bolt locks back and the third she'll is still crammed in the mag tube. The interceptor latch is stuck half way. Keeping the round in the mag tube. I push on the round. I can hear and see the interceptor latch fall down releasing the third round. I hit the carrier button and fire the last three rounds. The reason this happens is the pressure of three rounds pushing on the front of the interceptor latch is too much for the interceptor spring and it can't override that pressure so, it gets stuck halfway between its cycle. I was able to replicate this by hand cycling the action with actual rounds. I then put three rounds in the mag and used a dental pick to purposely make the interceptor hang up and it did it every single time. I did these same tests with the known good gun it never hung up once. Absolutely impossible to make it hang up. Hopefully this helps someone other than myself. My next question. How do I remove and install the spring? It's staked in.

Side note. Did y'all know that the new magazine spring Remington produces is about 2/3 the length of an original mag spring. Intersting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=310273&hilit=Replacing+interceptor+spring

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have always been able to pry the old spring out by grabbing it with needle nose pliers and rolling it up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:06 am 
Tournament Grade

Virginian wrote:
I have always been able to pry the old spring out by grabbing it with needle nose pliers and rolling it up

I’ll try that. I ordered the staking tool last night off midway. Should come in handy. I’ve also got a loose feed latch. I might or might not stake that. I do like being able to completely remove it for cleaning purposes.

On a serious note I’d like to thank you Virginian for all the knowledge you bring forth on the 1100/11-87 shotguns. I can’t tell you how many times your input has helped. Sometimes when I’m bored I’ll read through old threads on varying topics regarding 1100’s just to learn. I’ve been able to keep my 1100’s and my buddies 1100’s running thanks to you sir.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Virginian, After you pry out the old spring w the pliers, what do you do next to install the new one? How do you remove the staking? How do you install the new spring and stake it in? I’m sorry if these are stupid questions but I would like to know how to do this. I agree and you’ve helped me many times in fixing my own guns as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Jcollette wrote:
Virginian, After you pry out the old spring w the pliers, what do you do next to install the new one? How do you remove the staking? How do you install the new spring and stake it in? I’m sorry if these are stupid questions but I would like to know how to do this. I agree and you’ve helped me many times in fixing my own guns as well.

I just installed mine. You don't necessarily remove the staking. There are two staking points on the spring. One towards the muzzle and one towards the butt. The one towards the butt I left alone. I opened the staking (using a tiny pick and flat head screwdriver) on the one that faces the muzzle just enough to roll the old spring out. Once out, I took the new spring and pressed it into place using the flat head screwdriver. If you leave the back stake alone it takes all the guess work out of lining up the new spring properly. I ordered the feed latch staking tool from midway and it won't get here until Monday. So, I'll have to wait until then to restake the front. Btw the new spring did fix the intermittent feeding issues I had.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:07 pm 
Utility Grade

I know this is an old thread but I’m having issues with my dads 1100. Trigger group functions fine outside of the receiver but when I install it, the trigger pulls but doesn’t release the hammer and the safety can’t be put back on safe. It looks like the snap ring is broken. Are there different styles of rings that were used over the years? If it is broken then could this be the cause of the issue?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sometimes you can wiggle the spring and work it out of the staking, and sometimes you can wriggle a new spring in there too. If you need to loosen the staking a small flat blade screwdriver usually works. If you are careful you may not need to re-stake. The forces are not acting to pop the spring out.