ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: V3 Patriot Brown Waterfowl Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Specklebelly wrote:
One thing I did have to do was lengthen the stock as it was too short for me. What is odd is that I didn't need to do that on my old wood version. I have not looked at the specifications but I would figure they were the same length.

They are.

However, the walnut comes with a spacer pre-installed.

Can it be removed or is it necessary for the wood, like the metal “washers” on a wood-stocked 870 that go between the stock and receiver?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

S.davis wrote:
Can it be removed

Yes.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:03 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Randy, good info.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:56 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks. I’m long armed but also chesty. Basically built like an orangutan. Most Remington guns fit me perfect out of the box, including the synthetic V3, but I’ve never shot the walnut model and the grabagun deal was just too good to pass up. I know I could shave a 1/4” or so by putting a limbsaver on it, instead of the supercell, but I’m not recoil sensitive and don’t think it’d be worth my money if I could avoid it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

One more thing. ZERO blowback which I had it on my first V3 that was synthetic. I think Randy said once on one of these threads that the exhaust is different on the newer versions and in 59 shells that I have shot in mine, it appears to work as it did on my old wood one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Nice guns. Nice looking as well....but who was the ***** who coined the term ‘patriot brown’?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Specklebelly wrote:
One more thing. ZERO blowback which I had it on my first V3 that was synthetic. I think Randy said once on one of these threads that the exhaust is different on the newer versions and in 59 shells that I have shot in mine, it appears to work as it did on my old wood one.

I’ve shot 10 or 15 synthetic models and didn’t ever have any blowback issues, so I personally wasn’t worried. I like wood guns better (doesn’t hurt that the V3 walnut is almost universally pretty good) and I have a synthetic Ithaca M37 waterfowl for when the weather is too nasty for wood.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:22 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

S.davis wrote:
Thanks. I’m long armed but also chesty. Basically built like an orangutan. Most Remington guns fit me perfect out of the box, including the synthetic V3, but I’ve never shot the walnut model and the grabagun deal was just too good to pass up. I know I could shave a 1/4” or so by putting a limbsaver on it, instead of the supercell, but I’m not recoil sensitive and don’t think it’d be worth my money if I could avoid it.

The Remington V3 walnut has a slightly longer length of pull than the V3 synthetic. This is ONLY because of the preinstalled spacer on the V3 walnut models. However, when you remove the spacer, the recoil pad screws don't fit. They are too long and bottom out. The factory screws are also square-head screws, not the common Phillips.

The first order of business was to run to the hardware store for a pair of Phillips brass pan head 12 x 1 sheet metal screws. That's what you need to install the Limbsaver AirTech pad, or to install the Remington V3 pad without the spacer.

For the V3 synthetic models, the screws used are common Phillips head screws, there is no spacer supplied though they are available, and upgrading to a Limbsaver #10805 Airtech pad is easy, using the same screws.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Glad you showed those pics, as we were talking at cross purposes. I thought you meant the black plastic spacer between the stock and receiver, not the black plastic spacer between the stock and recoil pad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:50 pm 
Field Grade

Bought one of these today (V3 waterfowl Pro). Can't wait to try it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Nice looking gun and an outstanding gas auto design that you will really enjoy. I did exactly as Randy recommended and was very surprised when the pre-fit LS Air Tech pad fit PERFECTLY on my walnut model. I expected it to be close, but not perfect in all dimensions. It was! My only objection is that the LS Air Tech pad is sticky/grabby and I have to use only shirts where it will not have a tendency to "catch" during my gun mount. Otherwise very effective pad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:20 am 
Tournament Grade

A V3 Upland Pro with all the Pro features and 26" barrel with walnut would be my next shotgun.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:34 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oyeme wrote:
Nice looking gun and an outstanding gas auto design that you will really enjoy. I did exactly as Randy recommended and was very surprised when the pre-fit LS Air Tech pad fit PERFECTLY on my walnut model. I expected it to be close, but not perfect in all dimensions. It was! My only objection is that the LS Air Tech pad is sticky/grabby and I have to use only shirts where it will not have a tendency to "catch" during my gun mount. Otherwise very effective pad.

I don't have any problems with mounting. If you do, Tire Black (Black Magic BM23 TIRE Wet) or Armor All takes care of any unwanted tackiness instantly. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BODV6K/ .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Thank you, Randy. I will definitely try it. I contacted LS about the tackiness when I first got the pad out of the package, and they suggested talc. That does not last long enough to be practical. I will try the tire wet and report back.

In my old days of shooting Int. skeet we used electrician tape, nail polish and neither was very satisfactory for very long.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

oldshotty wrote:
A V3 Upland Pro with all the Pro features and 26" barrel with walnut would be my next shotgun.

Particularly in 20 , that would be sweet for sure.

Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:21 am 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:
Thank you, Randy. I will definitely try it. I contacted LS about the tackiness when I first got the pad out of the package, and they suggested talc. That does not last long enough to be practical. I will try the tire wet and report back.

In my old days of shooting Int. skeet we used electrician tape, nail polish and neither was very satisfactory for very long.

Well, I can now report that the Tire Wet solution did not make the LS pad less tacky/gummy feeling and does not help in the gun snag business. Actually that is not entirely accurate because while the Tire Wet was still damp it did make the pad feel slicker but not once dry. I even applied a second coat to see if that would work. It did not.

As Randy recommended it I am a bit surprised, but maybe it works on a pad made from a different material or just maybe I got a pad that is defective in its exterior material composition/feel. If anyone has any new ideas I am willing to try them out. I am also going to call LS again and discuss this with them-again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:45 am 
Crown Grade

I tried that long ago on a limbsaver...kinda worked. I needed to keep reapplying and it was hard to judge whether it was worth it. But it would pick up a lot more dog hair when sitting in front of the safe. That was my main issue with the armor all/black magic. The better solution was focusing on swinging out and then up during the mount.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:08 pm 
Crown Grade

I am sure I could use better technique. Thanks for suggesting. I am just afraid after all these years, with literally hours upon hours upon hours, practicing gun mount in front of mirror when I was trying to compete in Int. Sk.; it is going to be hard to overcome. It does not happen all the time; maybe only 10-15% of time but it nearly always fouls me up when it does occur. I will work on it.

Thanks for the advice and I apologize to the OP for hijacking his thread.