ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1100 Sporting 20 gauge jammed and locked up
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:41 pm 
Crown Grade

New gun purchased in February to shoot sub gauge sporting clays events. During a competition on Saturday, on second target of a pair, I heard a slightly different sound and then looked at gun and bolt was still forward.

Tried to pull bolt handle back and it wouldn't budge. I mean wouldn't move one little bit. At the range, I removed forearm hoping the barrel might slide out but the barrel is not moving even a whisker either.

Gave up on it and put it away until I got home. Next step I tried was to get the trigger group out. The pins drove out easily and the trigger was free enough to get the rear end toward the stock to rotate down about 1/4 inch but that is as far as it goes.

This and the 28 gauge sporting are my first Remington's after 10 plus years competing with Beretta 12 gauge gas guns.

I would appreciate any ideas some of you long haul 1100 gunners may have for me to try to get this gun apart to evaluate what has gone wrong. I don't want to force the issue and end up breaking more parts.

Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

Post subject: Re: 1100 Sporting 20 gauge jammed and locked up
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Hi, Sorry to hear the problem. You need the Virginian to answer this post. He's very good with Remi's.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Until then I would contact Remington and ask what should you first do to get the gun apart.

To me it sounds like the bolt is locked into the barrel recess and won't drop down as it should. I don't see how you would damage anything by lightly tapping on the bolt operating handle a bit towards muzzle and then towards butt. Nothing aggressive just some light tapping to see if that breaks the bind loose. However, it is not my gun so proceed as you will. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sounds like either a shell is stuck in the chamber or something broke.
Is there a shell on top of the carrier ?
Is the hammer uncocked ? It is tricky to get the trigger group out with the hanmer uncocked but it can be done. First thing, disassemble the magazine and count the shells to make doubly sure there is not a live round in the chamber. This is a critical safety issue. If you are not 100% sure plus forget the dowel down the barrel. Then reach in thru the slot and cock the hammer, with the safety on. If you are short a shell take it outside and keep it pointed in a safe direction before trying this. After the hammer is cocked the trigger group should come out and you should be able to see if anything is broken. If everything looks good, you can try to open the action by pushing on the action sleeve. If that doesn't work, a wooden dowel down the barrel and a hammer can be utilized. Have to get the action sleeve back far enough to drop the locking latch out of the barrel slot.
First guess is a broken piston/piston seal. Second guess is the link broke.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:10 am 
Crown Grade

Appreciate the suggestions. Gun is definitely safe with no live ammo inside.

Hopefully I will have time to pull it out of the safe and give it another go tonight. Presently the hammer is not cocked so will make that first priority to try to resolve and hopefully get trigger group free and out of the way. I am hoping once I get that out I can get the barrel and bolt free of each other.

Thanks again. Will update soon as I can, hopefully with confirmation gun is apart and what failure was caused by.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Virginian wrote:
Sounds like either a shell is stuck in the chamber or something broke.
First guess is a broken piston/piston seal. Second guess is the link broke.

Virginian, I have been around a bunch of 1100s and I have never heard of it happening, but I wonder if one leg of the link could have jumped out of the recess for it? If so, it would surely keep the bolt from moving and keep the gun locked into battery. Your thoughts on that possibility.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:10 pm 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
I wonder if one leg of the link could have jumped out of the recess for it?

I've had this happen on a 12 gauge gun that had the old aluminum Action Spring Follower that had gotten sloppy from wear. However, that shouldn't stop the barrel from being removed. I've had a similar issue with a Kent target load this year. The shell over expanded and jammed in the barrel. As the Virginian suggests, after making sure the gun is empty and the removal of the trigger group to ensure its not something messed up in the receiver, a long sturdy wooden dowel may work to force the action open.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Was able to get the gun apart tonight. First move was getting hammer cocked and out of the way. Trigger group still would not release.

Took oyeme’s suggestion and lightly tapped the bolt handle towards the front and on about the fifth tap it released and at that point the trigger group released and I was able to get that out and the barrel came free as well.

I don’t see anything obviously wrong but the bolt is not moving freely front to back so there is something amiss. Have parked it for the night. Even though the gun isn’t back in action I am relieved to have it apart. I thank you all for the suggestions to accomplish that.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dpe2002 wrote:
I don’t see anything obviously wrong but the bolt is not moving freely front to back so there is something amiss. Have parked it for the night . . . .

If you can be without it for a few weeks, you might pack it up and send it to Remington. Let them go through it and adjust everything.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:00 pm 
Crown Grade

OP check for PM sent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is nothing to adjust. Find out what is causing the bolt to bind. With the trigger group out and the barrel off about all that is left is the link and action spring.
I have only seen a link jump out with a very used action spring follower. But one leg breaking has been known to happen and leave the other one still in the follower cup.
Oops, also check the feed latch. It could be binding on the action bars.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:13 pm 
Crown Grade

I did call Remington customer service yesterday and the lady I spoke to was very nice and at the end of the conversation we came to the agreement to send the gun to a repair center to be gone thru under warranty. They emailed me a Fed Ex ship label and I sent it out today.

I will report back after their inspection and repairs. Thanks again to you all.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:44 am 
Field Grade

dpe2002 wrote:
I did call Remington customer service yesterday and the lady I spoke to was very nice and at the end of the conversation we came to the agreement to send the gun to a repair center to be gone thru under warranty. They emailed me a Fed Ex ship label and I sent it out today.

I will report back after their inspection and repairs. Thanks again to you all.

Definitely give us an update.
A buddy at my range has an 1100 .410 Sporting that has done the same thing and had failure to load second shell from magazine. Ejects fired round just fine and gun is completely cleaned and maintained as it should be. He's made a couple of calls to Remington and even had sent it back once.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:32 am 
Crown Grade

Waiting on update from repair center. They called me a couple weeks ago to ask a question but have been radio silent since.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:21 pm 
Crown Grade

I did get an update from the warranty repair center on Saturday.

They did finally get to my 1100 the weekend prior and found one of the links on the back of bolt that runs to the spring in the stock was broken. I was surprised by that as I had looked them over pretty closely. Gunsmith did say he almost missed it himself. They ordered the part and had it there and planned to put it back together and test fire. Hopefully ship it back to me this week

Will advise when I get it back. Might be a few weeks before I can get out with it and run it with some work travel and holiday travel as well.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Gun arrived back here early this week. Action feels fine now but will probably be a few weeks before I am able to get out and shoot it to test the repair.

Process took about 3 months but at least it was in kind of an off season time of the year so no harm really with the longer repair cycle.

If however it fails again, my experiment with the 1100's will very likely be over.

will post back after I am able to shoot it.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I only had one jam on an 1100. A primer came out of a reloaded shell and locked things up. Finally got the trigger group out and managed to free things up. Had to replace a couple of parts

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don't know how I missed this thread a few months ago. From reading the description of the problem, a broken connecting rod (aka "link") would have been my first suspect since I had the same thing happen to me on a Beretta 390 about 16 years ago.

When the connecting rod breaks, it's usually just one side that breaks. This broken side then kicks outward and won't allow the connecting rod (nor the bolt that it's connected to) to slide rearward. This jams up the bolt inside the receiver and makes it rather difficult to disassemble the gun.

However, once disassembled and the problem identified, it's a simple matter to put in a new connecting rod. I replaced the recoil spring while I was at it since a weak spring MIGHT have contributed to the breaking of the connecting rod, but there's no way to prove that, but at a cost of around $5 at that time, there's no reason not to, IMO.

No reason to give up on the 1100 since a broken connecting rod is something that can, and often does, happen to any gun that's had a bit of use. I've still got that same Beretta 390 and it has been pretty much problem free since then although I might have replaced a hammer spring on it (have to check my records again to be sure). Again, a broken connecting rod is no more an indication of a bad gun than having a broken fan belt is an indication of a bad car. Stuff happens! If you shoot enough, you'll experience your share of "stuff". Don't sweat it. Just replace the broken part and keep on truckin'.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Don't know how I missed this thread a few months ago. From reading the description of the problem, a broken connecting rod (aka "link") would have been my first suspect since I had the same thing happen to me on a Beretta 390 about 16 years ago.

When the connecting rod breaks, it's usually just one side that breaks. This broken side then kicks outward and won't allow the connecting rod (nor the bolt that it's connected to) to slide rearward. This jams up the bolt inside the receiver and makes it rather difficult to disassemble the gun.

However, once disassembled and the problem identified, it's a simple matter to put in a new connecting rod. I replaced the recoil spring while I was at it since a weak spring MIGHT have contributed to the breaking of the connecting rod, but there's no way to prove that, but at a cost of around $5 at that time, there's no reason not to, IMO.

No reason to give up on the 1100 since a broken connecting rod is something that can, and often does, happen to any gun that's had a bit of use. I've still got that same Beretta 390 and it has been pretty much problem free since then although I might have replaced a hammer spring on it (have to check my records again to be sure). Again, a broken connecting rod is no more an indication of a bad gun than having a broken fan belt is an indication of a bad car. Stuff happens! If you shoot enough, you'll experience your share of "stuff". Don't sweat it. Just replace the broken part and keep on truckin'.

I am ok with stuff happening but wasn't planning on it 500 rounds into ownership in the middle of a competition :lol:

I have shot a little....roughly 150K rounds over the past 11 years since I caught the sporting bug and most of those thru my Beretta 391's and current A400. Did break one connecting rod on a 391 and one gas piston ring (my error on reassembly).

My son teases me. When equipment that I own becomes unreliable, it no longer has a place with me. Hopefully the early breakdown on this 1100 was a fluke.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:27 pm 
Crown Grade

I would be surprised if it isn't a fluke with such a low round count. However, after 20,000 rounds there are any number of parts/springs that may need a close inspection. The good news is that the parts for an 1100 are commonplace, quite inexpensive and easy to replace without needing a pro. Good luck.