ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1100 Sporting 20 gauge jammed and locked up
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oyeme wrote:
I would be surprised if it isn't a fluke with such a low round count. However, after 20,000 rounds there are any number of parts/springs that may need a close inspection. The good news is that the parts for an 1100 are commonplace, quite inexpensive and easy to replace without needing a pro. Good luck.

I agree that it was a fluke. Never heard of a link breaking with only 500 rounds through the gun. I'm wondering if perhaps something wasn't assembled correctly during a disassembly/cleaning immediately prior to the mishap? I think it's possible (if I'm not confusing the 1100 with my 390) to assemble the link upside down on the rear of the bolt, but the bolt won't usually function correctly that way.

Maybe the OP just got the one-in-a-thousand link that was defective from the factory. Either way, I don't think it's an indictment of the 1100 although some serious shooters have been known to carry a spare link and a spare O-ring in their shooting bag for on-the-spot repairs "just in case". As I said, "stuff happens". :)

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:54 am 
Crown Grade

I did a thorough cleaning after I shot it in the US Open and that was at roughly 350 rounds after purchase. From that point on I used the gun without any issues in two 50 target events with just a quick clean and wipe down after and the failure occurred in the middle of the next 50 target event.

I will probably shoot it a fair amount this winter on casual 5 stand to get some volume of rounds through it and build some confidence in it. If it fails again in the next 500 rounds I will be done with it.

Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

Post subject: 1100 Sporting 20 gauge jammed and locked up
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That gun back years ago set a record of the most consecutive shots without a malfunction.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 2&t=301597

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:26 pm 
Crown Grade

The 28 gauge I bought at the same time has run flawlessly so far (knock on wood).

I am not knocking Remington. I am hopeful both guns serve me well. If not I will do something different. Shooting is something I do for fun and dealing with broken down guns isn’t fun.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Took the repaired 1100 20 gauge sporting out to the range this morning for its first functional test since its return from the warranty center. Mild day here with temp around 40 so pretty ideal conditions for Maine the end of December.

This morning we had our 5 stand running so I shot a couple rounds of that with the gun. Our typical 5 stand menu is 3 pairs per stand so 30 targets. Grand total of 60 targets. When I talked to the gunsmith at the repair center, he indicated that the gun didn't feed the second round the first 4-5 times he fired it but then he put some 1300 fps loads thru it and it cycled fine. The hottest shells I had in my cabinet were 1210 fps Herters. I did have 2 fail to feed events during the session. The shell was in the carrier and the bolt about 1 inch from gun being fully closed and locked up. Just a bump on the handle and it closed up. Beyond that, it ran well.

It will probably be April before the first small gauge events start up here so I will continue to run it out to the club this winter and shoot some 5 stand or skeet with it.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dpe2002 wrote:
Took the repaired 1100 20 gauge sporting out to the range this morning for its first functional test since its return from the warranty center. Mild day here with temp around 40 so pretty ideal conditions for Maine the end of December.

This morning we had our 5 stand running so I shot a couple rounds of that with the gun. Our typical 5 stand menu is 3 pairs per stand so 30 targets. Grand total of 60 targets. When I talked to the gunsmith at the repair center, he indicated that the gun didn't feed the second round the first 4-5 times he fired it but then he put some 1300 fps loads thru it and it cycled fine. The hottest shells I had in my cabinet were 1210 fps Herters. I did have 2 fail to feed events during the session. The shell was in the carrier and the bolt about 1 inch from gun being fully closed and locked up. Just a bump on the handle and it closed up. Beyond that, it ran well.

It will probably be April before the first small gauge events start up here so I will continue to run it out to the club this winter and shoot some 5 stand or skeet with it.

So what did the smith actually do to the gun to fix it other than run hot shells through it?

If hot shells fixes the problem, then that would indicate that the problem probably lies with the gun not getting enough gas, or lack of lubrication, or a bad recoil spring.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
dpe2002 wrote:

So what did the smith actually do to the gun to fix it other than run hot shells through it?

If hot shells fixes the problem, then that would indicate that the problem probably lies with the gun not getting enough gas, or lack of lubrication, or a bad recoil spring.

The failure was a broken action bar. I am not sure if he replaced anything else. Probably not since it was warranty.

He indicated they have had a lot of 1100 and 1187’s coming in for repair. He said Remington advised him that the small gauge guns should be running ammo at 1250 or higher. I think that is crazy talk myself

I will run it next time a little wetter and see how that goes. I do understand they are a different animal than the Beretta’s I am very used to.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dpe2002 wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
dpe2002 wrote:

The failure was a broken action bar. I am not sure if he replaced anything else. Probably not since it was warranty.

He indicated they have had a lot of 1100 and 1187’s coming in for repair. He said Remington advised him that the small gauge guns should be running ammo at 1250 or higher. I think that is crazy talk myself

I will run it next time a little wetter and see how that goes. I do understand they are a different animal than the Beretta’s I am very used to.

Wait a minute. I'm getting confused. First we were told the gun had a broken link (connecting rod) which was replaced with a new one. Then we were told the smith had to shoot 1300 fps ammo through it to get it to function reliably. Now you're saying it had a broken action bar too? How could you not have seen all these broken parts when you had the gun disassembled before sending it in?

Something just seems fishy. I don't know if you got a lemon when you bought that gun or if the smith/tech doesn't know what he's talking about (which doesn't seem likely to me). This situation just seems weirder the longer it goes. :? :?: :?:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:

Wait a minute. I'm getting confused. First we were told the gun had a broken link (connecting rod) which was replaced with a new one. Then we were told the smith had to shoot 1300 fps ammo through it to get it to function reliably. Now you're saying it had a broken action bar too? How could you not have seen all these broken parts when you had the gun disassembled before sending it in?

Something just seems fishy. I don't know if you got a lemon when you bought that gun or if the smith/tech doesn't know what he's talking about (which doesn't seem likely to me). This situation just seems weirder the longer it goes. :? :?: :?:

The failed part was one of the action bars. I don't recall having called it the connecting rod but it is possible. If so it was mistaken terminology. I know I did mention having failed a connecting rod on one of my 391's in its lifetime with me. There to my knowledge was one broken part replaced under the warranty repair.

As far as the comments on ammo, that is strictly me relaying what I was told by one of the owners of the gun shop and by the gunsmith...her son. They specifically stated that Remington was recommending running hot ammo in these guns which seemed off to me and I told her so.

If this all seems fishy....I am sorry you feel that way.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dpe2002 wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

The failed part was one of the action bars. I don't recall having called it the connecting rod but it is possible. If so it was mistaken terminology. I know I did mention having failed a connecting rod on one of my 391's in its lifetime with me. There to my knowledge was one broken part replaced under the warranty repair.

As far as the comments on ammo, that is strictly me relaying what I was told by one of the owners of the gun shop and by the gunsmith...her son. They specifically stated that Remington was recommending running hot ammo in these guns which seemed off to me and I told her so.

If this all seems fishy....I am sorry you feel that way.

In a post that you made on Nov 4, you wrote: "They did finally get to my 1100 the weekend prior and found one of the links on the back of bolt that runs to the spring in the stock was broken."

So, whether you call it a link or a connecting rod, it's the same thing... the piece that goes from the back of the bolt to the recoil spring. This is not the same thing as an "action bar".

I didn't mean to imply that you were doing something "fishy". I just meant that the whole situation about what broke or didn't break along with what seems like a weird explanation and recommendation from the gunsmith doesn't seem to make much sense at all to me. I hope you get it all straightened out, but I'm not really convinced that the real problem has been identified yet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I will flat out state that there is something fishy about a supposed gunsmith saying you needed to run hot loads to get an 1100 to run right. There is something else amiss here. No one installed an "improved" action spring or Sure Cycle type kit did they ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Virginian wrote:
I will flat out state that there is something fishy about a supposed gunsmith saying you needed to run hot loads to get an 1100 to run right. There is something else amiss here. No one installed an "improved" action spring or Sure Cycle type kit did they ?

The gun is as I bought it new from the dealer. No modifications. Purchased February of this year along with a 28 gauge....also unmodified.

Repairs done by Remington's warranty center for the NE part of US.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:23 am 
Tournament Grade

It also takes remarkably little to lock up an action. Any bit of broken metal, or even some loose shot from a sloppy reload can make a mess of things quickly.

1100s are really hard to beat for reliability as long as you keep them clean. Hopefully this is just a rare manufacturing defect.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Virginian wrote:

Agree 100%. Huge mistake running hot loads in an 1100. It does not sound like anything a gunsmith would say unless looking for future business.

Action bars can and do crack on occasion. I've been through several sets myself and not using hot loads. Avoid stress. Avoid rubbing them down with chemicals to clean, it is not necessary. Don't rub anything on that penetrates metal like the white Tetra gun grease. I'm not knocking Tetra gun grease, it is in my O/U case. Lay them down flat (upside down) when out of the gun so their not propped up by the sleeve. You could accidentally stress the bars if something should hit them or an accidental elbow or lean. Rem oil spray the mag tube with parts off to clean, wipe dry. Run the gun clean and dry. Remove trigger group and link to clean back of receiver with Rem Oil spray. Rub dry and watch your fingers for sharp edges.

I think a nice move would be a 20G tube set for the Citori Crossover at Sporting Clay competition events and you now have two great dedicated skeet guns with the Sporting 20 & 28 1100's. Yea...that's easy for me to say. :D I still fiddle around with the Little Skeeters but at least I have four of them in 20 and 28! Now a 5th for that option shot and I'll be styling...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:07 am 
Crown Grade

claybuster_aa wrote:
Virginian wrote:

Agree 100%. Huge mistake running hot loads in an 1100. It does not sound like anything a gunsmith would say unless looking for future business.

Action bars can and do crack on occasion. I've been through several sets myself and not using hot loads. Avoid stress. Avoid rubbing them down with chemicals to clean, it is not necessary. Don't rub anything on that penetrates metal like the white Tetra gun grease. I'm not knocking Tetra gun grease, it is in my O/U case. Lay them down flat (upside down) when out of the gun so their not propped up by the sleeve. You could accidentally stress the bars if something should hit them or an accidental elbow or lean. Rem oil spray the mag tube with parts off to clean, wipe dry. Run the gun clean and dry. Remove trigger group and link to clean back of receiver with Rem Oil spray. Rub dry and watch your fingers for sharp edges.

I think a nice move would be a 20G tube set for the Citori Crossover at Sporting Clay competition events and you now have two great dedicated skeet guns with the Sporting 20 & 28 1100's. Yea...that's easy for me to say. :D I still fiddle around with the Little Skeeters but at least I have four of them in 20 and 28! Now a 5th for that option shot and I'll be styling...

Haven’t had the gun out of the safe again recently. Will continue to use my standard target loads running at about 1200. That’s all I have ever shot thru it

I actually do still have some tube sets for the crossover Browning. Sidekick 2.0 in 20 gauge and full length in 28 and 410. I struggle a bit with the radical change in weight and balance with the full length tubes. That was what led me to the purchase decision on the pair of 1100’s.

I have to put how things went with the new guns in 2019 behind me and be positive that 2020 is better. I believe the breakdown on the 20 gauge was an unfortunate random parts issue. I enjoy the 28 gauge gun. I will have more time to shoot them before the sub gauge events start to ramp up in the spring and that should help me get more in tune with the 1100’s and get the consistency I am looking forward to.

NSCA 602398