ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:09 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26782
Location: Plainfield, IL
This is just about as current as it gets.




_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:56 am
Posts: 205
Looks like you got lucky and got a good one Randy.

Must have been made in the middle of the week. :lol:

Maybe the many guys with problem guns got the Monday or Friday-made guns.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:11 pm
Posts: 290
Location: Soldotna, Alaska
Randy, does the 11-87 20 gauge have the S/S magazine tube?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:28 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26782
Location: Plainfield, IL
DavidRamey wrote:
Randy, does the 11-87 20 gauge have the S/S magazine tube?


Yes, it does.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:26 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:11 pm
Posts: 290
Location: Soldotna, Alaska
Thanks Randy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:08 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26782
Location: Plainfield, IL

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:56 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:27 pm
Posts: 93
Location: Kansas
Late for this one, but I agree with Randy on this.

I personally own several Remington shotguns. I can say without bias that the new ones I own are far more reliable and better made. That might sound crazy, but this is coming from someone who approached new Remington products with the same skepticism that is so shamelessly circulated by people who are biased agains the company in its current state, for whatever reason.

I can absolutely understand the nostalgia factor involved with older Remingtons. It's totally understandable - gun carry great nostalgic value for a lot of people. But speaking from personal experience, I have absolutely no doubt saying that the new Remington products are, if not drastically better than, just as good as their predecessors.

To get on topic of the thread, however -

The 1100 you really cannot go wrong with, old or new. Just be sure to keep a few O-rings handy and you'll be glad you made that decision. It's a heavier gun and definitely more of a clays gun, but an outstanding choice nonetheless. It's the most popular gas gun of all time for a reason.

The 1187 I cannot speak from experience on as I don't have one, but I have heard from multiple people that while they are heavy for a field gun they are extremely reliable.

_________________
Cheers,
- yours truly


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:06 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:56 am
Posts: 205
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter.

I think there is enough evidence out there to suggest that Remington's quality is less than stellar in recent years, but I also understand that any mass produced item will have an occasional lemon.

It does seem that Remington is offering very good customer service these days, so that's definitely a plus.

I guess I'd prefer to buy things that don't NEED a warranty than things that have a great warranty that has to be utilized often.

Almost every shotgun I have is a Remington, from a 1900 I inherited from my great grandfather, to 11-48's, to Dupont era Wingmasters, to current production 11-87's. I'm a fan of the brand, but not of what has happened to the company in recent years.

If yall want to buy new Remingtons and Marlins, it's your money. I'd be looking for older guns, (pre Freedom group) in mint condition were I shopping for anything these days.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:31 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 am
Posts: 2845
Jeepwm69 wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter.

I think there is enough evidence out there to suggest that Remington's quality is less than stellar in recent years, but I also understand that any mass produced item will have an occasional lemon.

It does seem that Remington is offering very good customer service these days, so that's definitely a plus.

I guess I'd prefer to buy things that don't NEED a warranty than things that have a great warranty that has to be utilized often.

Almost every shotgun I have is a Remington, from a 1900 I inherited from my great grandfather, to 11-48's, to Dupont era Wingmasters, to current production 11-87's. I'm a fan of the brand, but not of what has happened to the company in recent years.

If yall want to buy new Remingtons and Marlins, it's your money. I'd be looking for older guns, (pre Freedom group) in mint condition were I shopping for anything these days.



Jeep, a question that in no way is meant to be argumentative. If you say you won`t buy a new Remington gun ( however you might be defining " new " ?) , how would you ever determine if indeed Remington guns might be better than is your current opinion of them?

You are obviously a regular reader of SW and no doubt have seen the posts and reviews of Remington products. Obviously, no gun is going to have 100% positive reviews. I would submit to you, however, that the vast majority of V3 reviews, to name one "new" Remington gun , and particularly those reviews of the walnut variant, have been overwhelming positive. Would that not at least indicate that a blanket condemnation of current Remington guns might be somewhat of an overstatement?

_________________
Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter
Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:36 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:34 pm
Posts: 5872
I’ve bought three 1100’s in various flavors, in the last 3 years. Very pleased with them all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:56 am
Posts: 205
Tidefanatic wrote:
Jeepwm69 wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter.

I think there is enough evidence out there to suggest that Remington's quality is less than stellar in recent years, but I also understand that any mass produced item will have an occasional lemon.

It does seem that Remington is offering very good customer service these days, so that's definitely a plus.

I guess I'd prefer to buy things that don't NEED a warranty than things that have a great warranty that has to be utilized often.

Almost every shotgun I have is a Remington, from a 1900 I inherited from my great grandfather, to 11-48's, to Dupont era Wingmasters, to current production 11-87's. I'm a fan of the brand, but not of what has happened to the company in recent years.

If yall want to buy new Remingtons and Marlins, it's your money. I'd be looking for older guns, (pre Freedom group) in mint condition were I shopping for anything these days.



Jeep, a question that in no way is meant to be argumentative. If you say you won`t buy a new Remington gun ( however you might be defining " new " ?) , how would you ever determine if indeed Remington guns might be better than is your current opinion of them?

You are obviously a regular reader of SW and no doubt have seen the posts and reviews of Remington products. Obviously, no gun is going to have 100% positive reviews. I would submit to you, however, that the vast majority of V3 reviews, to name one "new" Remington gun , and particularly those reviews of the walnut variant, have been overwhelming positive. Would that not at least indicate that a blanket condemnation of current Remington guns might be somewhat of an overstatement?


I have eyes. I can look at them at the local gun shop and see how poor the fit and finish is on them, and I can read about all the problems people are having with them.

I will say that the V3 might be great, might be junk. I have no interest in them so I haven't looked at one. 1100s and 1187's are something I've looked at quite a bit for my teenaged daughters.

But lets address the real issue that brought up the original poster's question....Remington, and Marlin, and a lot of other companies were bought out by corporate raiders who ran these companies into the ground. There are a few who will scream from the rooftops that current day Remington makes the bestest guns in the world. There are also a helluva lot of people who thing quality, as a whole, has gone to heck in a handbasket.

I do find it interesting that this board is the only one where I see many people who seem to deny the drop off in quality. Every other shooting board I'm on I don't see that. The drop off in quality isn't even questioned, because there are so many examples of guns that left the factory that shouldn't have, and the ONLY way guys like that leave the factory is if the quality control is non-existent.

I've posted links to several of those threads in this discussion......


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:25 pm
Posts: 9119
Location: Louisiana
I think that's just the way it is these days for most sub-$2,000 shotguns. It's kind of a crap shoot as to whether you will get one that doesn't have something wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:20 pm
Posts: 14282
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia
Since we are voicing opinions, mine is that Jeepwm69 just wants to get on the stump and rail against Remington.

_________________
What could have happened... did.
I do not trust Remington's dating service accuracy. If they were Match.com, you could end up with Nancy Pelosi.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:34 pm
Posts: 5872
Smells like grinding axe to me.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 am
Posts: 2845
lossking wrote:
I think that's just the way it is these days for most sub-$2,000 shotguns. It's kind of a crap shoot as to whether you will get one that doesn't have something wrong.


Loss, that`s an interesting point of view. Granted, I don`t see how there could be much question that some sub-2K guns are better than others. As we know, since we`re discussing Remington, the V3 is a sub-2K gun by a wide margin. I would think that to qualify as a " crap shoot " ( I acknowledge that you said " most", not " all " :D ) ,far more complaints would be gracing these pages than currently are concerning that particular gun. Matter of fact, if we`re discussing sub-2K guns in general, I`d submit that the Beretta A300 Outlander and the Fabarm L4S Hunter series ( at least the Initial and Gray ) have far more proponents than detractors on SW, thereby putting their qualifications as " crap shoots " in serious jeopardy.

_________________
Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter
Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:11 am
Posts: 4230
Location: Western Tampa, FL
After viewing this thread continue for almost 7 pages I have come to the conclusion that everyone has their fixed opinions on Remington quality, and they are not going to alter them regardless of facts, figures, or any other person's opinions. It is a great deal like discussing politics nowadays. In other words, it is a futile exercise.

But don't let that unsolicited comment dissuade further discussions. Carry on. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:34 pm
Posts: 5872
oyeme wrote:
After viewing this thread continue for almost 7 pages I have come to the conclusion that everyone has their fixed opinions on Remington quality, and they are not going to alter them regardless of facts, figures, or any other person's opinions. It is a great deal like discussing politics nowadays. In other words, it is a futile exercise.

But don't let that unsolicited comment dissuade further discussions. Carry on. 8)


What the hell else we have going on right now?:-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:11 am
Posts: 4230
Location: Western Tampa, FL
Rooster booster wrote:
oyeme wrote:
After viewing this thread continue for almost 7 pages I have come to the conclusion that everyone has their fixed opinions on Remington quality, and they are not going to alter them regardless of facts, figures, or any other person's opinions. It is a great deal like discussing politics nowadays. In other words, it is a futile exercise.

But don't let that unsolicited comment dissuade further discussions. Carry on. 8)


What the hell else we have going on right now?:-)


You got me there! {hs#


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 am
Posts: 2845
Rooster booster wrote:
oyeme wrote:
After viewing this thread continue for almost 7 pages I have come to the conclusion that everyone has their fixed opinions on Remington quality, and they are not going to alter them regardless of facts, figures, or any other person's opinions. It is a great deal like discussing politics nowadays. In other words, it is a futile exercise.

But don't let that unsolicited comment dissuade further discussions. Carry on. 8)


What the hell else we have going on right now?:-)


That`s far and away the most cogent point of the evening!

_________________
Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter
Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current production quality of 1100/1187 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:54 pm
Posts: 11449
Location: Kansas
I recall when the first Glock handguns appeared. There were cries of mass produced terrible quality and who the heck is going to spend that kind of money for a piece of plastic. I own several 1100s; none of them newer guns, for the simple fact that I like the RKW finish, white line spacers ,etc. Frankly, I have things break occasionally, but nothing that I couldn’t fix myself. Look closely at the gun and you will see that they were designed to keep the cost down and it’s basically the same gun that appeared in 1963, but I really like-’em. With modern manufacturing technology I can’t imagine that tolerances today aren’t closer than they were in the 1960s. The same can be said for the new Ithaca Gun. Company and the Model 37. The new ones are far better than those produced by the old Ithaca Gun Company. I would guess that the same would be true for Remington for the same reasons. It’s a silly thing to argue about. If you like the old ones, then buy an old one. If you prefer the new ones then get a new one. I always liken my 1100s to MEC reloaders: stamped metal, springs and plastic, but they damn sure work well and both the gun and the reloaders are runaway best sellers because of cost and function.



_________________
"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 20grouse, 47MolineRTU, Abbiboy, abell5, ageduk82, AJ-M12, Arkoneputt, Bad Moose, Bakerloo, BGBR, Big Midwest, Bing [Bot], bwpkck, CapHillSkt, cbradford, cole1, Cookr21, Curly N, dmarsh, drawdc, drew b, Ezra Smack, f5guy, fishrising, fiver, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], GunnerFrank, Hamish2, hopper810, jacksonl17, jeffreyk, JHL, JJK, johnnie g, Lacyb, llc, loneranger, Luvthemtorts, Malcolm7, mb94, McFarmer, MNTUNDRA, mountain4don, Oldandrusty, oldshotty, oneounceload, peddlerray, pitted bore, Researcher01, Rooster booster, Rubberhead, shaynec, Shooting Dave, Steeler [Crawler], Stuck-N-Kali, Tex68W, tracker 6, Vette Jockey2, woodcock1


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice