ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: V3 Gas Blocks ( All Converted ? )
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Not a huge deal but I’m curious. I love my v3 but it does get pretty filthy. It has no effect of its function at all. I’ve been thinking of upgrading to the waterfowl pro. I’m curious if the non vented gas block makes the difference or is it the tubes or combination of both that’s all.

2019 Henry H001L
2018 Henry US survival rifle
2017 Browning 725 sporting
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:28 pm 
Crown Grade

kuffs06 wrote:
Not a huge deal but I’m curious. I love my v3 but it does get pretty filthy. It has no effect of its function at all. I’ve been thinking of upgrading to the waterfowl pro. I’m curious if the non vented gas block makes the difference or is it the tubes or combination of both that’s all.

Kuffs, have you spoken with anyone at Remington and posed your question to them directly? Their CS might have to ask one of their engineers, or connect you to one, but they are usually quite helpful. Personally, I would mention how much you like your V3 and that you`re interested in purchasing another. Can`t hurt and it might just " grease the skids " a bit!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

It’s an idea but the reality is there are plenty of guys here on this forum that have a v3 with non vented gas blocks that could answer the question as usually the receptionist at Remington wouldn’t have an idea of the differences and how dirty the gun gets LOL

2019 Henry H001L
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:40 pm 
Crown Grade

kuffs06 wrote:
It’s an idea but the reality is there are plenty of guys here on this forum that have a v3 with non vented gas blocks that could answer the question as usually the receptionist at Remington wouldn’t have an idea of the differences and how dirty the gun gets LOL

:lol: Just a thought. You`re right about the receptionist! Probably have to pass you on to someone else. Wish I could answer your question but I only have my walnut V3 that has the unvented block and tubes. No idea if it`s one or the other or both that keeps things relatively spiffy in there. Whatever it is, it flat works!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:27 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

kuffs06 wrote:

This topic really has been beaten to death. There is no simple answer and there never well be, due to the endless variables in ammunition and ambient conditions. Any V3 will go past 2500 rounds without cleaning, but of course it will be filthy afterwards. All Versa Max shotguns, from day one, have vented gas blocks, yet in all these years, there has been essentially no discussion about it.

Today, it is moot. All V3's have non-vented gas blocks and some (TAC-13) have no vents at all: no compensating valves, no tubes, no nothing. Piles of V3 walnut and V3 Waterfowl Pros were shot side by side over two days, and there wasn't much difference.

I know this first-hand . . . almost everyone in those fields was using V3 walnut models, except me . .. with a Waterfowl Pro.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ok, this is an answer I was looking for. What you were saying is the water fowl Pro and the walnut version were virtually the same after shooting. As I said in a previous post after seven boxes of target loads my friends one that version was practically spotless and mine which I was older and has the gas box was completely filthy. Again I know it does not affect the function of the gun in anyway whatsoever, personally I just like how clean the walnut version is but I am a synthetic guy.
This all tells me that it is the vented gas block that makes a difference not the compensation valves

2019 Henry H001L
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:51 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

kuffs06 wrote:
This all tells me that it is the vented gas block that makes a difference not the compensation valves

If you say so.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Actually, you just said so. You said there was virtually no difference between to the pro model and the walnut model which both have non-vented gas blocks. My 2016 with vented gas logs is pretty disgusting after a day at the skeet range

2019 Henry H001L
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:12 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Tidefanatic wrote:
This is probably one for Randy, but are the non-vented gas blocks now the rule for the V3s, regardless of variant? For some reason I have the idea that some ( Turkey Pro?, Waterfowl Pro? ) are still being produced with the vented block (?).

Tidefanatic, all you have is a V3 walnut. No matter how many times you ask questions about something that has nothing to do with your gun, V3 walnuts have had non-vented gas blocks and exhaust tubes from day one.

Those changes were made solely to prevent walnut forearm cracking, and that delayed the release of the walnut V3 model by over a year. Standardization only makes sense, so eventually you will see all V3 walnut 'style' actions, not for any functional reason, but for the sake of standardization.

The gas blocks were standardized long ago, at the time of the V3 Compact, and continuing with the TAC-13, the Waterfowl Pro, the Turkey Pro, the V3 Tactical models, and the V3 Competition models as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:37 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

kuffs06 wrote:
Actually, you just said so. You said there was virtually no difference between to the pro model and the walnut model which both have non-vented gas blocks. My 2016 with vented gas logs is pretty disgusting after a day at the skeet range

Actually, I said
Quote:
There is no simple answer and there never well be, due to the endless variables in ammunition and ambient conditions. Any V3 will go past 2500 rounds without cleaning, but of course it will be filthy afterwards. All Versa Max shotguns, from day one, have vented gas blocks, yet in all these years, there has been essentially no discussion about it.

Shooting pheasants with 1400 fps 1-1/4 lead loads is hardly related to what somebody shoots skeet with. When you change ammo, you change everything and also when ambient conditions change, you change things as well.

I have two V3's with vented gas blocks and they aren't particularly dirty after shooting AA's or American Clay & Field target loads, and it takes only moments to wipe down the magazine tube after shooting. As a practical matter, I could care less whether synthetic-stocked guns have vented or non-vented gas blocks: functionally, they are identical.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:05 pm 
Field Grade

Had an email conversation with "Big Green" this morning and was told "vented gas blocks are still used in some applications and the synthetic guns still receive them". From "Ahem" the horses mouth...1cas