ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Versamax malfunctioned today
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:28 pm 
Field Grade

I was in the middle of a Duck/Goose Hunt this morning when my ~1 year old VMax’s bolt broke in two places. I’m not sure if it was a gun issue or if it was caused by the ammo but it ran fine all morning and I had put about half a box of Boss 3” #2 through it + 3 Fiocchi 3.5” #2s.

I’ve shot exactly 61 boxes of shells in it without a single issue and I clean it after every use. Needless to say, I’m very surprised by this and I guess I’ll be calling Remington tomorrow. In addition to the bolt breaking, the barrel seems to have twisted and now the barrel rib is no longer aligned with the top of the receiver. Does anyone have any idea as to what could’ve caused this?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Versamax malfunctioned today
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can you get that fired shell out of the gun? from what I see in the picture the base of the fired shell is rounded and the primer blown out??? I would wonder if you had a barrel obstruction in the bore. causing a horrible pressure situation . I am far from an expert but others will be along shortly. I think your lucky not to be hurt.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:41 pm 
Crown Grade

I think you should save that hull and contact the maker. I agree .45 Colt and that shell looks like it was a real overload or something else caused the excess pressures it displays. Good thing that is a strong gun and you were not hurt. You are undoubtedly going to send to Remington and they will inspect the gun completely.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yeah, that shell doesn`t look right at all! Some kind of over pressure, or it looks like it. May well not be a gun issue per se, but no way I`d shoot that gun again without a go over at Remington.

Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:49 pm 
Field Grade

I got home and it took it apart. Removed the magazine cap and the barrel separated from the receiver just the same way it always has. Removed my extended choke (Carlson’s Cremator) and used a cleaning rod to punch the shell out which required very little effort.

The gas rods still move freely back and forth and the barrel doesn’t appear to be any worse for wear. I wiped off the exterior of the gun and left the receiver and the rest of the internals as-is so my Gunsmith can see it the way it was when the malfunction occurred.

I’m going to have my guy go through it and I guess I’ll send it back to Remington as well. Not great timing since I have a big Snow Goose Hunt one month from this weekend but I’ll take my BPS (back up Gun) and it’ll work out.

I’ve pasted some additional pictures below.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:52 pm 
Field Grade

Additional pictures:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I can't believe the breech bolt was closed/locked as designed when the shell fired. Is firing pin intact and still operational? MCzar777, so glad you are ok.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:42 pm 
Field Grade

I’m pretty surprised by the whole thing to be honest. I believe the firing pin is intact but I haven’t tested it any further than cycling the action and dry firing which it does fine and goes “click.”

Upon visual inspection, you’d never know it happened other than the chunks missing off of the bolt head. In fact, the bolt head still rotates when it goes into battery, the extractor is still there and everything feels the same as before.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

MCzar777 wrote:
I’m pretty surprised by the whole thing to be honest. I believe the firing pin is intact but I haven’t tested it any further than cycling the action and dry firing which it does fine and goes “click.”

Upon visual inspection, you’d never know it happened other than the chunks missing off of the bolt head. In fact, the bolt head still rotates when it goes into battery, the extractor is still there and everything feels the same as before.

Pretty solid gun, I’d say.

Remington V3 Walnut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:24 am 
Tournament Grade

If it were Mine it would be going back to Remington today. and I'd contact Fiocchi about the ammo. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:48 am 
Diamond Grade

.45colt wrote:
If it were Mine it would be going back to Remington today. and I'd contact Fiocchi about the ammo. Good Luck.

Safety demands this, IMHO.

Remington V3 Walnut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:31 am 
Field Grade

Just got off the phone with Remington and the customer service rep was very nice and empathetic. He started the process for returning it and they’re providing a free UPS shipping label which I thought was a nice gesture. Looks like it’s going to be a couple of months before I know anything which is unfortunate but understandable given the number of firearms they sell and service.

Next phone call is to Fiocchi so I’ll see what they have to say. I’ll update as soon as I finish up with them but I’m the meantime, y’all might want to avoid buying their 3.5” #2s from Cabela’s!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 am 
Crown Grade

MCzar777 wrote:
Looks like it’s going to be a couple of months before I know anything which is unfortunate but understandable given the number of firearms they sell and service.

Next phone call is to Fiocchi so I’ll see what they have to say. I’ll update as soon as I finish up with them but I’m the meantime, y’all might want to avoid buying their 3.5” #2s from Cabela’s!

I'll be surprised if Remington explains to you "what happen" to your gun other than possibly blame the ammo.

Same goes for Fiocchi. They'll blame the gun.

Neither of them will voluntarily provide evidence which you could use to sue them.

Hope I'm wrong.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:08 am 
Tournament Grade

MCzar777 wrote:

Was it the first shell fired of three or a follow up shot?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:11 pm 
Field Grade

skeetsit wrote:
MCzar777 wrote:

Zbigniew wrote:
MCzar777 wrote:
Looks like it’s going to be a couple of months before I know anything which is unfortunate but understandable given the number of firearms they sell and service.

The malfunction happened on the third shot.

I'll be surprised if Remington explains to you "what happen" to your gun other than possibly blame the ammo.

Neither of them will voluntarily provide evidence which you could use to sue them.

Hope I'm wrong.

I have no plans to sue anyone over this and judging by the hull, I have no reason to think that the gun had anything to do with this. My goal in contacting Fiocchi is to let them know about this in case there’s an issue with this ammo in hopes that they’ll pull it before someone gets hurt.

If the gun is repairable and there is a cost involved to do so, I’m going to ask that they cover the bill. If they don’t, then I’ll leave it at that and stop buying their ammo which I buy about 1000 rounds per-year of.

The malfunction happened on the third of three shots with the Fiocchi ammo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Zbigniew wrote:
MCzar777 wrote:

Hope I'm wrong.

Since it was factory Fiocchi ammo, I think Remington will foot the bill for the repairs. I don't think they will use the fact that it was the ammo to deny repairing your gun. OTOH, Fiocchi may just take the info and blame the gun but go revisit that Lot on their own.

My impression of Remington from numerous accounts is that their CS has been excellent. Good luck but you are getting the gun into the right hands for no cost. Good start.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

MCzar777 wrote:
skeetsit wrote:
MCzar777 wrote:

Zbigniew wrote:
MCzar777 wrote:

The malfunction happened on the third shot.

Hope I'm wrong.

I have no plans to sue anyone over this and judging by the hull, I have no reason to think that the gun had anything to do with this. My goal in contacting Fiocchi is to let them know about this in case there’s an issue with this ammo in hopes that they’ll pull it before someone gets hurt.

If the gun is repairable and there is a cost involved to do so, I’m going to ask that they cover the bill. If they don’t, then I’ll leave it at that and stop buying their ammo which I buy about 1000 rounds per-year of.

The malfunction happened on the third of three shots with the Fiocchi ammo.

It`ll be interesting to see how Remington handles this. They would be repairing a gun at no charge to repair damage due to no equipment/workmanship failure on Remington`s part. That`s IF this was shell related ( which I`m betting it is ). Keep us informed.

Remington V3 Walnut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:49 pm 
Limited Edition

If I am seeing this right, the locking lugs broke off the bolt correct?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:41 pm 
Field Grade

I believe the lugs are still intact along with the extractor. See attached picture.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:55 pm 
Crown Grade

I've never looked at a Versamax bolt but it looks to me that, if the gun has a rotating bolt, the locking lugs are gone.

Something had to break those two pieces off the bolt. Did you find them?

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell