ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Versamax malfunctioned today
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:48 pm 
Field Grade

Zbigniew wrote:
The question is whether the barrel was exposed to pressures exceeding a proof load and it obviously was, because a proof load won't shear off locking lugs.

The prudent thing to do is to replace the barrel. I'm baffled as to why Remington wouldn't do that; but if I was going to keep the gun, I'd replace the barrel myself if Remington wouldn't do it.

Given what this gun went through, I’m not sure I’m going to trust it enough to spend $450 on replacing the barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Get the $450 from the shell manufacturer.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:59 am 
Field Grade

Zbigniew wrote:
Get the $450 from the shell manufacturer.

The barrel is a concern but I’m most curious about the fitment between the barrel and the receiver. They should not have play and my gun (before malfunction) along with other VMaxs that I’ve checked recently do not have any.

I know for a fact that the receiver was damaged and I believe the pictures are on page 2 of this post. In the pictures, you can see where tiny pieces of the receiver have broken off and I believe it’s where the gas pistons seat in the receiver. I could be mistaken as to whether or not that’s where the pistons seat but I’m pretty sure that’s accurate.

If that is where the pistons seat, I am curious as to how long it will be before what’s left of that breaks off after running 3” & 3.5” shells through the gun. When I asked the service rep what ammo they used to test fire the gun, he told me that it was standard load ammo bit couldn’t confirm the details of the load. So I’m assuming it was 2-3/4 but hopefully I’m mistaken and they test fired it with the gnarliest 3.5” load they have which is what I would do since that would be a better test of whether or not it’ll still hold up to maximum pressures.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:59 pm 
Limited Edition

RandyWakeman wrote:
Five consecutive case-head separations from Kent ammo. Kent's answer was a defective crimp of the cap to the hull, from their vendor . . . Cheddite.

I quit shooting Kent loads a few years ago . Use to they was my go to because they was affordable , preformed really well , and was easy to find around town . I quit because I got numerous rounds where the wad never cleared the barrel had I not been paying attention it could have been bad .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Remington is top notch !